Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle heights I see out there many times seems to be so high

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle heights I see out there many times seems to be so high

Old 03-26-22, 02:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
Is this a man in this pic?
*smh*
Old 03-26-22, 02:16 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
Why are people concerned with how others set their bike up? Just go out and ride...
Agreed.

I see all sorts of clueless folks out there with obviously wrong sized bikes, wrong adjustments on saddles/bars, tires with about 10 psi in them, I'm not going to go Karen on them, my riding time is too valuable.

If you don't hear the sound of dragging brakes, then the problem doesn't exist.
Old 03-26-22, 02:36 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
There saddles are just fine. It is their legs that are too short.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-26-22, 03:18 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
im far from concerned. i just find it interesting how so many saddles are so high, that's all
Then post a picture of your position, let's see how many people find that "interesting"...otherwise your thread comes off as all-knowing and judgmental.
Likes For mprince:
Old 03-26-22, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
There saddles are just fine. It is their legs that are too short.
I do see that fairly often - hips rocking like mad when pedaling. Probably wonder why their lower back hurts and they get chafing in their sensitive bits. But that's their problem, not mine.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-26-22, 03:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
As an official Tall Guy, my bars have always been lower than my saddle. My arms are disproportionately longer than my torso so for me, comfort begins with my bars below my saddle. My touring bike has the highest bars at about 2” lower than the saddle. My road bikes are all around 4” drop.

All of my bikes have at least one spacer below the stem so nothing is “slammed,” but riding around with even bars/saddle is no fun for me. Trying to be “cool” has nothing to do with it, though I’ve been accused of it more times than I can count.
I have long legs AND I point my toes a bit when pedaling, so my saddles are pretty high. But I also have long arms, so my bars are fairly low, between 3 and 4.5" lower than the saddle, mostly around 3.5"

I think that, despite the 'intuitive' idea that higher bars = more comfort, it's more a question of having the correct drop for you. When I got my Canyon, I set it up as it came from the factory, with all the spacers under the stem. On the first ride, my hands kept going numb. I moved 2.5cm of spacers from below to above, and no more numb hands. That put it into the sweet spot FOR ME, right around 3.5".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-26-22, 07:38 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Why are people concerned with how others set their bike up? Just go out and ride...
Because their bad setup bike can give them poor visibility and distract them so badly. They can bounce off any object they collide with and their unconscious body fall on you at any time so it's only RIGHT to be concerned.

You probably heard about Egan Bernal hitting the back of a bus during training on public roads. The cause of the accident, Bernal did not see the stopped big RED bus right in front of him.

Bernal was riding his TT bike at that time where the position gives you poor forward visibility. You can EASILY have the same torso position on a road bike with a slammed down handlebar.

The position may be fast but not safe for public roads. Even Pros training in teams in low traffic are not spared of this danger. Even UCI is considering banning TT bikes and some Pros are becoming concerned of the slammed down position even on road bikes in terms of training/racing safety.
Old 03-26-22, 10:10 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
https://www.trailheadinc.net/about/b...ting-pg246.htm

https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com...positions.html
Old 03-27-22, 01:23 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Because their bad setup bike can give them poor visibility and distract them so badly. They can bounce off any object they collide with and their unconscious body fall on you at any time so it's only RIGHT to be concerned.
And how would you go about advocating this?

Walk up to strangers and Karen them? Sounds like a great idea that will never make trouble.

Educate the police so they can use their authority to do it instead? Because we definitely want to keep the police busy from other more important things like bike theft, or women who call the cops against strangers stalking them about saddle height.

Make it the job of the LBS to catch clients when they get their bike serviced? Surely that will never offend the bike owner.

Maybe get cycling clubs to spread the gospel? Because every commuter and cyclist we find on roads surely belong to one.

We already have a challenge to get folks to wear helmets. So preaching to folks about saddle height is surely easier.

Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-27-22, 03:31 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Then post a picture of your position, let's see how many people find that "interesting"...otherwise your thread comes off as all-knowing and judgmental.
hmm. that's the way YOU take it
Old 03-27-22, 03:39 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I'm aware of that, of course, but the vast majority of these bikes I see, it's almost always so disproportionate (saddle vs. handle bars)
It's also done by most people out of aestetics, and to make a bike that's probably not their right size, fit. My bikes with the lowest saddle hieghts are the ones that fit me best, and the stems aren't slammed either. My Schwinn Prelude, and Nishiki Olympic.
Old 03-27-22, 03:41 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
It's also done by most people out of aestetics, and to make a bike that's probably not their right size, fit. My bikes with the lowest saddle hieghts are the ones that fit me best, and the stems aren't slammed either. My Schwinn Prelude, and Nishiki Olympic.
Schwinn still exists???
Old 03-27-22, 03:46 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Schwinn still exists???
Yes, but mine is an '86, or it might be an '83, I forget.
Old 03-27-22, 04:57 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Yes, but mine is an '86, or it might be an '83, I forget.
nice! show us a pic!
Old 03-27-22, 05:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
It's a conspiracy from Big Bike to sell dropper posts for road bikes. That's why the super tuck was banned.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-27-22, 06:05 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
And how would you go about advocating this?

Walk up to strangers and Karen them? Sounds like a great idea that will never make trouble.

Educate the police so they can use their authority to do it instead? Because we definitely want to keep the police busy from other more important things like bike theft, or women who call the cops against strangers stalking them about saddle height.

Make it the job of the LBS to catch clients when they get their bike serviced? Surely that will never offend the bike owner.

Maybe get cycling clubs to spread the gospel? Because every commuter and cyclist we find on roads surely belong to one.

We already have a challenge to get folks to wear helmets. So preaching to folks about saddle height is surely easier.
The best option is getting this to UCI. Some of the tour pros are already sharing their concern to UCI on the aggressive position. They also suspect, it can worsen accident injuries.

They may get a bit slower but still doesn't take away the competition aspect. The fastest guy still wins.
Old 03-27-22, 07:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Wow there's a lot of stupid and lot of trolls in this topic. Also a lot of insecure compensation going on. People have different length legs, torsos, and arms. People ride bikes at different ages and abilities to have flexibility on the bike. And folks who are between frame sizes and went with the smaller frame. Geeeeezzz.

What about the opposite? Folks with so much stack, such wide bars that never use the drops that may as well just move over to a hybrid bar setup. And such low saddles they appear to have bought a bike 3 sizes too large? Never mind their saddle nose poking up some 30 odd degrees the wrong direction and the handlebars rotated to shift the hoods up and rearwards a solid 45 degrees.

You can find a way to pick on anything about how a bike is setup or used.
Old 03-27-22, 12:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
So little time, so many bike setups to criticize ... and gearing choices ... and frame material ... and tire widths ... and brake types ...

But, seriously, have you noticed the socks some people are wearing?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-27-22, 12:52 PM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So little time, so many bike setups to criticize ... and gearing choices ... and frame material ... and tire widths ... and brake types ...

But, seriously, have you noticed the socks some people are wearing?
i've found, after years of riding, that cycling (especially the road bike world) can be very elitist which is one thing that kinda turns me off about the sport..but i love being on my bike so much, so F it
Old 03-27-22, 01:25 PM
tomato coupe

i've found, after years of riding, that cycling (especially the road bike world) can be very elitist which is one thing that kinda turns me off about the sport..but i love being on my bike so much, so F it
Are you implying all the bikes with saddles higher than yours belong to elitists?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-27-22, 01:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Are you implying all the bikes with saddles higher than yours belong to elitists?
Well, don’t they?
Old 03-27-22, 01:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
You’re far from concerned about it yet it kinda turns you off.

If you want to be good at what you are doing you need to remember what you wrote earlier in a thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-27-22, 01:39 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Well, don’t they?
Only the bikes with saddles higher than mine
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-28-22, 07:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
"About 90% of MEN coming through here have their saddle set way too high"

So I think there probably is a culture of copying the pros going on here. Even if it is subliminal.
Old 03-28-22, 07:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
To sum up: we have an OP who apparently has no clue about bike fit, and who thinks that anyone with more (than him) saddle-to-bar drop must have the saddle set too high. And we're at three pages and counting.

Spring weather can't arrive soon enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.