Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me center this please

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-22, 12:27 PM
trance 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No matter what I do, this V brake doesn't get centered... what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks
Old 04-03-22, 12:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by trance 27.5
No matter what I do, this V brake doesn't get centered... what am I doing wrong?
It depends on what you have tried so far. Is one of the arms stuck (even with no adjustment screw installed)?

Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-03-22, 02:25 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
True the wheel first!
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-03-22, 02:40 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
At 3:05 it looks like Calvin has the thin concave and convex washers in the reverse of the correct position.
Old 04-03-22, 02:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
The very first aspect I see is the rear wheel sitting off center. It might just be a photo angle thing but if the wheel is that far off it will make centering the pads (to the rim) a bit more challenging. I would look into this to see if the wheel's centering can be improved.

Not knowing what you have tried yet, with pad centering, has us at a disadvantage, or means we'll be repeating your previous efforts needlessly. Pivot post friction, pad mounting spacer thicknesses, return spring strengths and their adjusting screw position and even cable casing arrangement will all contribute. Andy
Old 04-03-22, 03:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No matter what I do, this V brake doesn't get centered... what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Trying to center the cheapest v-brake on the planet.
Old 04-03-22, 04:06 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Sometimes the washers are incorrectly ordered or perhaps missing.

This is common with a lot of new big box store bikes. Customers that buy new don't know any better.

Your LBS has the correct parts to solve this.

LBS can also true rim if required.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-04-22, 09:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
True the wheel first!
Not “true”. Dish is what is needed (maybe). Make sure the wheel is centered in the dropouts first but it may need to be properly dished.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-04-22, 10:00 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
You need to centre the wheel in the dropouts. This is a very common mistake that leads to much frustration when adjusting brakes.
Old 04-04-22, 04:01 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not “true”. Dish is what is needed (maybe). Make sure the wheel is centered in the dropouts first but it may need to be properly dished.
Oh my! I stand corrected.
Old 04-04-22, 05:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
As to the wheel's needing dishing- I will not be surprised if it dished well. That the rim is centered WRT the axle ends (lock nuts likely on this grade of bike). Instead, I wonder if the frame is off as in one seat stay is longer than the other. Andy
Old 04-05-22, 09:19 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
All other suggestions are good. It appears the left arm's spring adjustment screw is threaded further in than the right arm's screw. Assuming the arms move freely on the posts, this is a pretty strong clue as to why they don't appear centered on the frame. Either tighten the right side screw or loosen the left side screw, or both. I definitely agree with others regarding the wheel centering and camera angle. If the tire and rim really are biased to the left, you'll need to fix that before the brake arms can be centered on both the frame and the rim.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-07-22, 09:55 PM
trance 27.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all, definitely the wheel is not centered, but I wouldn't touch the dishing. This is a walmart bike that I have changed the sprocket, chain and derailleur, and cable which is now better. The brake is the last thing I will try to mend on this bike and I will do it this weekend. Reason for buying this bike is, my daughter is short (4'11"), and it's very difficult to find anything that fits her. She doesn't like mtn bike type bikes. And she will be using the bike to university in a few months.
Old 04-07-22, 10:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Thanks all, definitely the wheel is not centered, but I wouldn't touch the dishing. This is a walmart bike that I have changed the sprocket, chain and derailleur, and cable which is now better. The brake is the last thing I will try to mend on this bike and I will do it this weekend. Reason for buying this bike is, my daughter is short (4'11"), and it's very difficult to find anything that fits her. She doesn't like mtn bike type bikes. And she will be using the bike to university in a few months.
Dishing really isn’t that hard. You could even do it in the frame. All you need to do is to tighten the spokes on the driveside of the wheel. Tighten each drive side spoke 1/4 turn to begin with. You may reduce the amount you turn the spoke each time as the wheel comes into dish but, again, I doubt it would be much of a problem.

You may need to loosen the spokes on the nondrive side but, given that this bike is a HelMart bike, I doubt that the spoke tension is proper anyway.

Use a zip tie feeler on the chainstays as a guide. You can check the dish by turning the wheel around in the frame without disturbing whatever you are using as a gauge.

I fully understand the small bike problem. I’ve dealt with it for more than 40 years. My wife is 5’ tall.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-07-22, 11:58 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Are the brake pads touching the rim at the same time? If so, they are as centered as they need to be given the circumstances. If not, the best way I learned to adjust those cheap V-brakes is to manually bend the spring (thick, straight wire that should be behind each of those brake arms... does yours have them?) to pull more or less as needed.