Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday and Swytch system

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 06:12 AM
RBarcan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

New member here. Just fitted the Swytch electric system to my wife’s Bike Friday. Initial thoughts are that the battery being in handlebars may affect handling and also the position of the cable from the motor means that the bike’s first fold can’t happen as the cable would be fouled.

I’d welcome any advice about workarounds.

Thanks
Old 04-02-22, 08:27 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Hi, Going to an e-assist mod may require some work.

Bike friday does have this video

Last edited by jfouellette; 04-02-22 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-02-22, 09:37 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by RBarcan
Hi

New member here. Just fitted the Swytch electric system to my wife’s Bike Friday. Initial thoughts are that the battery being in handlebars may affect handling and also the position of the cable from the motor means that the bike’s first fold can’t happen as the cable would be fouled.

Thanks
You can lower the battery by putting a handlebar extender. lower down on the stem mast. It may not be as easy to reach the controls, though. If you can buy an short extension to fit that cable you could disconnect the extension when folding without stressing the more critical Swytch connections.
Old 04-03-22, 07:12 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Not sure if you can fit a brompton block adapter on a bike Friday but swytch makes a mount for it. There should be plenty of slack in the wire but if more is needed there are extenders available on Amazon. You want the orange 3 point connector.

You don't really need to access the swytch interface on top of the battery when riding, you can just set and forget the power level.

How does it handle and provide power on the folder?
Old 01-10-23, 10:16 AM
TheMadBrewer

Bikes: BF NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Thanks
I've just ordered a Swytch for my NWT. Interested in how is worked in the past year or so.
Old 01-10-23, 10:33 AM
RBarcan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I've just ordered a Swytch for my NWT. Interested in how is worked in the past year or so.
It has been brilliant! Has performed faultlessly and we both love it as it means we can ride together again. As we’ve aged I’ve kept cycling at pretty much the same pace but she had slowed down a lot. Only slight issue for us is the range. Wish it was 50 miles not 50km. I understand that extenders are available and we may look into that.

PS You realise that ours is Gen 2. Presumably yours will be the new battery - even less range?
Old 01-10-23, 10:37 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 257 Posts
If you ordered the newest (3rd) generation Swytch, they sell mounts and cables to enable one to locate the battery midship or on a rear rack. Get ready for a long wait for a 3rd gen delivery! The latest iteration looks nice, with the ability to carry a spare battery to swap during a ride.
Check out a private facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2679153205653978 . The group includes many with direct experience on all the product line. The group exists merely as a resource, with zero affiliation with the manufacturer.
Old 01-10-23, 10:42 AM
TheMadBrewer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been brilliant! Has performed faultlessly and we both love it as it means we can ride together again. As we’ve aged I’ve kept cycling at pretty much the same pace but she had slowed down a lot. Only slight issue for us is the range. Wish it was 50 miles not 50km. I understand that extenders are available and we may look into that.

PS You realise that ours is Gen 2. Presumably yours will be the new battery - even less range?
Yes, they were quoting 15km or 30km, with the 15km being "Airline friendly"

Not sure I need it now, but I am getting older and don't ride the distance I used too
Old 01-10-23, 10:44 AM
TheMadBrewer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
If you ordered the newest (3rd) generation Swytch, they sell mounts and cables to enable one to locate the battery midship or on a rear rack. Get ready for a long wait for a 3rd gen delivery! The latest iteration looks nice, with the ability to carry a spare battery to swap during a ride.
Check out a private facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2679153205653978 . The group includes many with direct experience on all the product line. The group exists merely as a resource, with zero affiliation with the manufacturer.
Thanks for the link. I had two options for delivery, March or May, with March being $200 (IIRC) more. Not in a hurry, so I went with May.
Old 01-10-23, 10:57 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 257 Posts
Thanks for the link. I had two options for delivery, March or May, with March being $200 (IIRC) more. Not in a hurry, so I went with May.
I ordered last April, with an expected Sept ship date! Swytch informs me that it will arrive any day now.
I bought & paid for two of the max kits that, theoretically, will provide the 30km range over flat terrain.
My plan, for now, involves installation on only one bike, while carrying a spare battery on longer rides.
Also, I will use a throttle rather than the crank sensor, since I may only access it on the few climbs heading home.
They charge too much for a second battery, so for only a couple hundred bucks more I bought an entire kit.
Likes For roadcrankr: