Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't raise seat post on Scott Speedster

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 07:56 AM
Chris Bamford

Bikes: 2021 Scott Speedster, 2001 Giant MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

This is embarrassing to ask as I'm generally mechanically adept, but the seat post on my Scott Speedster has me stumped.

I've loosened both bolts on the post clamp but cannot budge the seat post, even with some medium force and thumping. Perhaps it's just a winter of 'stiction' and just needs more force, or maybe I've missed a step somewhere...

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-22, 08:09 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
That seat clamp is a bit odd IMO with the two rack mounting bolts on either side. It looks to me that the clamping bolt is also drilled and threaded to accept the rack bolts. Is this the case? If so than removing the rack bolts would allow access to the clamp bolt. I seriously think I am wrong, I've never seen this before. Andy
Old 06-01-22, 08:12 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Bamford
I've loosened both bolts on the post clamp
You haven't loosened the seatclamp at all.

You appear to have a speciality clamp, where you can attach the pannier rack as you have done.

Remove the bolts off, remove the rear pannier rank completely, and then you should see another fastener buried in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (7.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by soyabean; 06-01-22 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-01-22, 08:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The post clamp that soyabean shows is a fairly common aftermarket design that a few companies offer. These work well for bikes that have no top of seat stay rack mounts or where the frame is so small that the rack struts don't reach the stay rack mounts.

The OP's clamp seems to have the rack mounts share the same axis as the clamping bolt has. Rather different in arrangement but similar in goals. Andy
Old 06-01-22, 12:55 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
That seat clamp is a bit odd IMO with the two rack mounting bolts on either side. It looks to me that the clamping bolt is also drilled and threaded to accept the rack bolts. Is this the case? If so than removing the rack bolts would allow access to the clamp bolt. I seriously think I am wrong, I've never seen this before. Andy
+1 It looks that way to me as well. The rack bolts look too small in diameter to be tightening the clamp too.
Old 06-01-22, 06:36 PM
Chris Bamford

Bikes: 2021 Scott Speedster, 2001 Giant MTB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
...It looks to me that the clamping bolt is also drilled and threaded to accept the rack bolts ... I seriously think I am wrong, I've never seen this before. Andy
And I seriously think you are right!

Mission accomplished. Thanks to all who contributed — much appreciated.

Likes For Chris Bamford: