Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

WTB Byway tire refusing to fit?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-31-22, 12:06 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts

I've got a Triban wheel, 700x17c tubeless ready, and a WTB byway TCS tire, 700x34c (which says it can fit from 16-21c rims so within spec there), and 700x35-45 tubes (because the only other size was 23-32 and I figured I'd be better going too large instead of too small).

First side went on with a bit of a fight but I can't get the last 9" or so of bead on for the 2nd side, it just doesn't feel like there's enough length in the bead and my tire levers (plastic) are starting to bend. The TCS seems to be a tubeless ready standard but I assumed it'd still work with tubes.

I've seen a few old reports online about WTB tires being really tight to fit, but nothing from the last few years.

So is this normal? Is there any trick to get them on (especially at the side of the road)?
Or is there something up with the tire or tyre/rim combo and I should be trying to return it?

I'd rather not go tubeless because the bike will rarely leave the garage (it's my trainer / cheap enough to leave outside places bike).

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-22, 12:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I bet I could get it on with no levers at all! But I'm not willing to travel there to prove it.

The first side of the tire went on without much issue didn't it? Then the other side will also go on, but you have to give it most all the room that the first side had. To do that you need to make sure the side you are putting on is not in the bead seat of the rim anywhere while you are attempting to put it on.

When you get to those last 9 inches of bead that won't go over the rim, then make sure the valve is open on the tube and let any air out that might be trapped. Ensure the tube isn't in danger of getting pinched by that last remaining part of the bead during the time it takes you to do and repeat the following steps.

Go back down to the place you started and push the bead of the side you are putting on the rim off of the bead seat and into the center of the rim. This action should also be pushing the first side already on the rim out of the center and up onto the bead seat. Moving in both directions with both hands, do the same every few inches till you get back to the part that is giving you trouble. You should be able to get another few millimeters if not more over the rim. Repeat as much as needed.

If you are pinching both sides of the tire together at the bottom thinking that will get both beads off the bead seat and into the center of the wheel, then don't think that way. Only the bead of the tire you are putting on needs to be off the bead seat. The other is just competition for the center space along with the tube if this is a tubed tire.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-31-22 at 12:35 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-01-22, 05:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Tubeless ready tires seem to be more difficult to mount, in general. The size of your tube shouldn't be what's causing the difficulty...however...I do think most would recommend going smaller than larger. A tube will very easily swell to fit the volume of the tire...but you don't want too much material in there to where you get it bunched or folded in the worst of cases.

If all else fails, you may just need a bead jack. Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977 <-- Kool-Stop's version appears at the center of this page, and is priced at $10-15 depending on where you see it listed. It's designed for your exact situation and you'll grin at how much of a time/thumb/tire lever saver it is when you encounter a really stubborn tire. I have a pair of wheels that just seems to be problematic for all tires...not only tubless ready ones. I keep a bead jack in my tool/spares kit with me. It's not heavy, but it's about 3/4 the size of a mini frame pump, so it does take up some space. I'm not a minimalist, though, and much prefer to have its functionality with me in case I need it when out on a ride.
Old 06-01-22, 05:13 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
my Byway 44's fit very easily. I am now slightly worried as I bought the narrower version of Byway's just because the 44's fit great and I plan to mount them sometimes in a few weeks. I am now worried they will be too tough
Old 06-01-22, 08:06 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Tips:

Having too fat a tube, or too much air in the tube, will make it difficult to mount any tire. See if you can't let some more air out of the tube and try again.

Make sure the tube is not trapped under the bead of the tire at any point around the rim as this will take up precious millimeters you need to pull the tire over the sidewall of the rim.

Make sure you are pushing the bead as far as possible into the centre of the rim as this usually has a slightly smaller diameter than closer to the sidewall of the rim.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-01-22, 09:40 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Tire mounting is again one of those things where one gets better with experience.

Having done thousands installs, I rarely need tools to put on a tire. Again, that comes from experience.

This is more of an issue for the DIY that will do this less than a dozen times in their lifetime.

On the most difficult tires, I resort to my collection of every tool that exists out there. It's easy to justify to obtain every lever spoon of all shapes sizes plastic and metal out there because hoarding bike tools is never wrong.

One tool I have is the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. Many videos on how it works. Can be found for sale in most LBS that sells tools.

Pay no attention to naysayers that insist to tough it out without tools.

My tools make money for me by allowing me to turnaround my inventory faster.