Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The great bib short search

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-13-22, 09:06 PM
alexabbas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apologies if I missed posts on this, I searched and didn't find it...

Please help me find a great pair of bib shorts. Here's my wish list:

1. Fairly thick chamois. I like to do five or six hour rides sometimes and in my experience the thick fancy ones are more comfy.
2. Long, wide, stretchy straps. I'm 6'3" and a bit slim; a large fits well in the "shorts" area on most bibs, but the shoulder straps are often uncomfortable on my shoulders because they're too short for me, not stretchy enough, and they don't distribute their enthusiastic tension widely enough to not dig in.
3. Longish inseam. (Again, 6'3" tall)
4. Not stratospheric price. I have a pair of Spaero bibs I got through my team and they're great, but the plain black ones are $280 and that seems excessive.

Thanks!
A
Old 08-14-22, 06:19 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Take a look at Black Bibs (https://theblackbibs.com/). I recently picked up a pair and find them very comfortable. Would definitely buy them again.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-14-22, 06:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Rapha has a sale going on now - you might want to check it out.

Their pads are on the thicker side, I find them comfortable for long rides. The straps are all pretty wide. In some lines, they do make "Long" variants, too.

At regular price, anything above their Core line can be expensive, but if you watch for sales and/or don't mind weird color combos, you can get some really good deals.
Old 08-14-22, 06:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Rapha has a sale going on now - you might want to check it out.

Their pads are on the thicker side, I find them comfortable for long rides. The straps are all pretty wide. In some lines, they do make "Long" variants, too.
I also immediately thought of the Rapha Classic bibs, or any of their other models that use the same chamois - it’s very thick. Also, I’m 6 feet 1.5 inches tall and wear the medium… And the straps are more than long and stretchy enough.
Old 08-14-22, 07:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
I can’t speak to the OP’s fit concerns from experience, which I think is the kind of advice they really need, but I can suggest to look at the European brands, especially Italian ones like Castelli, Assos, Q36.5, etc., as they tend to be proportioned and cut for slimmer physiques.
Old 08-14-22, 07:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I am similar size as OP. It is a pain. Straps are always too short but at least they are angled properly on my preferred Assos bibs. I like a pair of le Col bibs for the pad and the straps are a little longer but unlike the Assos they run over my nipples making them less than ideal. The straps are tight perhaps to lesson the load on core muscles. Long Ralpha bibs are just in the legs, not torso if I understand correctly. What tall riders need are longer straps. Not sure if any mfgs offer such an option or at least I have never found it
Old 08-14-22, 01:40 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,050 Posts
I'll put in a second vote for The Black Bibs. I have 3 pairs: their original "Black Bibs", a pair of "Black Bibs Ultimate" and a pair of the "Ultimate Adventure Bibs".

I also have a few pairs of Rapha's "Pro Team" model, which were my previous favorite. The Black Bibs Ultimates fit every bit as well, and are 1/3 the price. I also appreciate that you can get them with black straps (white straps always turn grungy after a few uses/washes no matter how clean you are) and in longer sizes (I am also on the taller side at 6'04" and 210lbs).
Old 08-14-22, 07:51 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 715 Posts
Bellwether
Old 08-14-22, 08:04 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Check out Aerotech. They make bibs for tall riders
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 08-15-22, 07:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
- Black Bibs Ultimate pad is thick and dense. The bibs rise in front pretty high, like midway up my chest which is a lot higher than I want when it is warm out, but they are good for rides int he 40s and 50s. The leg band is wide and 'Italian cut'. They make multiple lengths too.

- Voler Black Label pad is just really good quality and the materials are fantastic. The straps are set so they go around the chest instead of over the chest and the material compression is their tightest. Again, the leg bands are wide and Italian cut.

- Voler Cache 2.0 bibs are bibs with pockets. Same pad as the Black Label, but the bib material is slightly more elastic than the Black Label. Same cut for straps and whatnot- it fits great. The pockets are nice.

I am 6'5 and have no problem with the straps on any of the bibs above. These have lasted muiltiple years and look like new still, even after countless washes, mud, dirt, rain, etc etc. The Cache bibs are new this year though.
The Black Bibs are the 'long version' and while the upper half is fine, the legs are actually a bit too long for me.
I cant see myself ever spending money to buy bibs with a thick silicone strip at the leg opening. That is such a clearly inferior design and brands have shown that a nice wide band can be put even on less expensive bibs, that there is no reason for the silicone strip anymore.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-15-22 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-15-22, 07:32 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
My vote goes for black bibs as well. I ordered a pair (endurance) this year and I love them. For the price, it's hard to beat. They're better than my other ones that cost twice the price.
Old 08-15-22, 11:57 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
At 6'3" and 195 I am a great fan of Assos.
Old 08-15-22, 12:36 PM
shapiroeric

Bikes: Storck Aerfast Platinum

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 26 Posts
Castelli has an end of the summer sale.....30% off some of their gear.....that's all I wear and love them
Old 08-15-22, 02:01 PM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
[QUOTE=shapiroeric;22611114]Castelli has an end of the summer sale.....30% off some of their gear.....that's all I wear and love them[/QUOT

As a tall person with large thighs I never found a good fit in Castelli.
Old 08-15-22, 02:28 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I'm not tall (175 cm), but I am skinny (64 kg), so my experiences tend to be in the XS and S sizes where strap length can really make a difference as they're sized for shorter people. I've gone through a lot of different brands in search of a perfect fit, all at sale prices that put most of them in the $75-175 range with a few exceptions.

The bibs I have that are actually long in both inseam and have plenty of give in the shoulders are Voler, La Passione, 7mesh, and MAAP. All use good variable thickness Elastic Interface pads.

Meanwhile my Castelli, Assos, and Q36.5 bib shorts are on the short side, even though one of my Assos is the longer inseam version. Castelli was the worst in terms of needing to size up (to M) because the straps dug in (and the M still digs). I don't get on with their chamois either. Assos straps are also not that stretchy, the chamois is great and probably the best of all brands I've tried (no butt soreness after riding 1-day Seattle to Portland) but it always feels like the bibs are giving my a wedgie. I've only worn the Q36.5 bibs once and they chafed enough to leave a spot on my thigh in less than 2 hours of riding. I may need to give them another chance because up until I felt a sudden painful spot on my leg, I thought they were pretty comfortable.

I only have experience with the Rapha Classic line of bibs, which definitely have stretchy straps and thick chamois, but I'm not a big fan of the Classic chamois on long rides. I don't find it to be as good as Elastic Interface.

One last brand I have that didn't even make it past a trial on the indoor trainer were De Soto bibs with their "300 mile" chamois. Like the Rapha Classic line but even thicker chamois that was way too wide and caused nearly instant chafing.
Old 08-15-22, 04:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
I'm a dissenting voice on The Black Bibs. I got a set of their mid-price bibs, and the fabric is just WAY to slick. I found myself constantly sliding forward in the saddle, pushing back, sliding forward, etc. I've never had this problem with any other bibs. My current favorite is Louis Garneau FitSensor 3s. They fit me, the pad's not too thick, and they hold everything in place.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-16-22, 12:00 AM
Freddyonabike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Assos. I'm 6'4", 80kg, 94cm inseam, 84cm waist, and a size M fits me great, tho I could probably buy with added length, but they dident offer that when I bought mine. Excellent quality. Their BIB's also have a "cup" for your gentlemans area, sort of like a ballet dancer trousers.
They arent the cheapest tho...
Old 08-16-22, 12:48 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by alexabbas
Apologies if I missed posts on this, I searched and didn't find it...

Please help me find a great pair of bib shorts. Here's my wish list:

1. Fairly thick chamois. I like to do five or six hour rides sometimes and in my experience the thick fancy ones are more comfy.
2. Long, wide, stretchy straps. I'm 6'3" and a bit slim; a large fits well in the "shorts" area on most bibs, but the shoulder straps are often uncomfortable on my shoulders because they're too short for me, not stretchy enough, and they don't distribute their enthusiastic tension widely enough to not dig in.
3. Longish inseam. (Again, 6'3" tall)
4. Not stratospheric price. I have a pair of Spaero bibs I got through my team and they're great, but the plain black ones are $280 and that seems excessive.

Thanks!
A
Considered non bibshorts? Assos Mille GT shorts are great, no straps to inhibit your upper body, and soft material at the front so that there is nothing pressing into your bladder. Strapless shorts also tend to be much cheaper than bibshorts. The padding is thick for sure, only thing from your list I am not sure about is inseam length.
Old 08-16-22, 03:38 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
No idea what garment style or cut will fit you but out of all the bib brands I tried, it is the C3 seat pad from Santini that gets the pick for long rides. The pad is the most distinctive feature for me because all of my bibs are otherwise unobtrusively comfortable.

https://www.santinicycling.com/en/content/C3-seatpad-73
Old 08-27-22, 05:57 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Elastic Interface

https://www.elasticinterface.com/cycling-pad/

CyPad Group

The CyPad Group is an industrial multinational that encompasses Elastic Interface® (EIT), the leading manufacturer of 100% Italian-made cycling pads, Berenis, which manufactures competitively priced products in Croatia, and Bikepad, which makes USMCA friendly competitively priced products, 100% made in Mexico.

Hybrid Cell System

The new frontier in comfort and performance.

Nobody understands better than Elastic Interface® how important it is to have the right protection in the saddle and the direct impact of comfort on your performance.

This is why we have recently introduced a new high-performance material called the Hybrid Cell System (HCS) that gives the most demanding cyclists and endurance riders from road and off-road disciplines exactly what they need. The new Hybrid Cell System is an Elastic Interface® exclusive featuring a mixed-cell structure that delivers unprecedented elastic recovery.

With its 200 kg/m³ ultra-density design, the Hybrid Cell System takes pads to a whole new level of innovation. This enabled us to create padding that is significantly thinner and lighter than gel, and also radically more breathable and resistant to wear and tear. The Hybrid Cell System, your guarantee for absolute comfort even in extreme situations like ultracycling.