Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Lightweight folding eBike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Lightweight folding eBike

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 06:23 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by kimguroo
that’s good. There are many new companies which sells junk ebike then they disappear within one year. Worst thing is those people renamed the company then sell another junk ebikes. There is no way to get parts for the situation but you were in the business for 10+ years. You know what to do since production processing is harder than normal people think.

I have a few questions, have you thought about rear rack with built in battery option? Also rear rack and battery combination with rear light? If you can solve cable routing issue, it will give much cleaner looking than current battery placement. Also I am not a big fan of seatpost battery.

if you want smaller battery option, make sure there is PAS0 option (assistance motor off).
my folding bike did not have PAS0 option from display so If I want to turn on and off, I have to stop but recently I got revised version which has PAS0 option from display and I don’t have range anxiety anymore and use motor assistance for hills only.

actually, I like frame design because of slick and simple. If you can make rear cassette to 11 speed, it will give more upgrade possibilities to buyers. Nowadays 7 speed freewheel is so popular for ebikes but not many companies make good parts. Since you will not use rear hub motor, you can use cassette and make enough space for 11 speed, it will be easier to find upgrading parts from Shimano and Sram.
Thanks you for this feedback. The rear rack battery would be a simpler solution than the seatpost battery, and would be easier to source.

We have an 9-speed 11-42t cassette with a 52T chainring. Going to 11 ratios would not increase our gear range, it would only give us two more steps in the range. This would increase efficiency slightly, but probably not enough to notice. And, given that we have a mid-drive, small-percentage incremental changes in the gear-inch measure of each gear ratio would be negligible. But from a marketing perspective, we could probably add a couple hundred dollars to the price and get it. But, my focus is on honesty more than marketing.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-09-22, 06:24 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by kimguroo
I have 350w rear hub motor with torque sensor. It’s not a bad system except motor resistances.
I have not experienced with mid-drive system yet but I don’t think there is a motor resistance with mid drive system….
There will be almost no resistance with the mid-drive.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-09-22, 09:51 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Mr Origami, I agree wholeheartedly with your "fewer gears" philosophy, especially with a mid-drive. When I built my first BBS02-equipped bike, I used only three gears in the "cassette", 11-17-28 (spaced 8-speed), in order to maintain a straighter chainline thereby reducing wear, and never needed more gears. The bike has had only two gear-sets in seven years of off road activity.
Old 09-09-22, 12:08 PM
kimguroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Thanks you for this feedback. The rear rack battery would be a simpler solution than the seatpost battery, and would be easier to source.

We have an 9-speed 11-42t cassette with a 52T chainring. Going to 11 ratios would not increase our gear range, it would only give us two more steps in the range. This would increase efficiency slightly, but probably not enough to notice. And, given that we have a mid-drive, small-percentage incremental changes in the gear-inch measure of each gear ratio would be negligible. But from a marketing perspective, we could probably add a couple hundred dollars to the price and get it. But, my focus is on honesty more than marketing.
going 10-12 speed is all about replacement parts or upgrading parts. It’s easier to get and quality components such as SLX or XT. 9 speed system has less options. That’s my point. actually gear ratio is 11-42 so it’s enough in my opinion too. Honestly I am not sure about 11 and 52 chainring for 20” bike. I don’t even use 50-11 for road bike nowadays hahaha. my 7 speed 20” folding has 14-28 cassette so I changed chainring to 58. I think it gives enough speed.

it’s good to see that bike company focused on building better bike instead of marketing or making quick money then disappear.
Old 09-09-22, 12:23 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Honestly I love the look of this. It's a beautiful urban style ride.

Folks,
I am looking for some feedback on our latest folding eBike that has completed its prototype stage. Some of the parameters are as follows:
  • Nickel-plated chromoly frame
  • Front luggage block
  • Hydraulic disc brakes
  • about 34 pounds including battery
  • 250W mid-drive motor
  • 7AH battery
  • 9-speed gear set
  • 52T chainring
  • Sensah gear selector and derailleur
  • 20 x 1.75 tires
  • I am still working on alternatives for battery placement, but it works OK here.
Do you think our approach makes sense, and what guidance would you give?
The Origami Bull would be amazing electrified, especially with it's higher load bearing ability. Can you imagine it on a bike tour?

Old 09-09-22, 09:43 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Looks like the Lotus with a motor? I like it, but I already have three DIY folding bike conversions and one cheap commercial e-folder, so I can't justify it. Perhaps I should aspire to a Lotus, but then it would be my best folding bike, maybe ny best bike, something I'd hate to ruin with a motor.

They're are hardly any lightweight commercial electric folders. I think of the Qualisports models with their seat post packs as being around 40-45 pounds. The Blik Vija+ is close to 50 pounds. Luna claims 38 pounds with their $1800-2000 Mossa, which you can't get anyway. plus it's ungainly with their add-on battery. The low cost chinese import folders that are around $600 up are not light either,

I think you would be limited to the older members of the folding forum on this website. Those folks seem to like the high end products. As they age enough to buy the dreaded ebike. this would appeal. Meanwhile, you're a mail order company and a lot of people are convinced they need hands on support to own an ebike, Good luck. Tough sell. How about throttle? Will this be a class 1 bike, Purists will like that, but the vast majority of the mass market will walk,
Old 09-10-22, 10:51 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

My Fiido L3 is a friggin boat anchor (55lbs, disgustingly bulky folded), and my Qualisports Dolphin is "supposedly" 47lbs (even worse folded, impossibly annoying to carry IMO - but ride quality is darn good), so this bike w/a mid drive is quite appealing to people looking for a lighter weight folder w/solid specs.
👉 about 34 pounds including battery​​​​​​
Old 09-10-22, 11:47 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Fiido L3 has a 23Ah battery & cast wheels, add to some serious weight.

Qualisport Dolphin is a fine ride, I have had mine since 2020, close to 1k miles on it. Very solid ride, good quality build.
At the speeds that I ride in NYC, while commuting among traffic, I don't see a mid-drive motor as advantage.

Wife has a $599, 16" wheel folder with 7-speed, seatpost battery, weights around 42 lb.
Similar feel to the Dolphin, just smaller package.

Mechanical disc brakes on both of them perform well for my cycling.
Old 09-10-22, 01:05 PM
2old

In socal the road riders that I've seen are riding mostly inexpensive e-folders, heavy "Chinese" full size behemoths or Super 73 types. Your bike, while really interesting to me, may not be attractive to this group. It could be a tough sell, but will be interesting if/when you get it to market (also, maybe socal isn't representative of the US market).
Old 09-11-22, 07:26 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Paul I like the idea of battery on the rear rack. Biggest issue with seatpost battery is it restricts air travel. Folder should be able to ride analog where battery use runs out or is restricted.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 09-23-22, 03:05 PM
Pinigis 

Just wanted to share a couple of new photos.

Likes For Pinigis:
Old 11-18-22, 10:44 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Hi Pinigis. I don't usually follow this forum, so this is the first time I am seeing the bike. I like everything about it except would like 2" wide tires. 2" tires are just more comfortable for our bombed out roads in NOLA. It should also accommodate fenders with the 2" tires. How securely is the battery locked to the frame? Could the battery be stolen while the bike is locked? How long is the motor warrantied? Who fixes it when it breaks?

I would seriously consider buying this bike. Want to sell it?
Old 11-20-22, 12:11 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Hi Pingiss, that's a beatiful bike. You gotta work on the battery a bit. Is it 36V?

It's too bad you have to graft a big mid drive onto that frame. If they designed a motor for lower wattage, and made it smaller ...ah forget that, people would run it too hard and melt the darn thing..Yet, that's what's needed.
Old 11-22-22, 04:19 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Hi Pinigis. I don't usually follow this forum, so this is the first time I am seeing the bike. I like everything about it except would like 2" wide tires. 2" tires are just more comfortable for our bombed out roads in NOLA. It should also accommodate fenders with the 2" tires. How securely is the battery locked to the frame? Could the battery be stolen while the bike is locked? How long is the motor warrantied? Who fixes it when it breaks?

I would seriously consider buying this bike. Want to sell it?
2" tires will fit, no problem. We haven't sourced fenders yet, but the plan is for them to be roomy enough for 2" tires.
the battery rail is secured to the frame with two fasteners. The battery then locks securely into the rail. There is a key lock to secure the battery, but nothing is impervious to thieves.
The motor is warrantied for three years, the battery for one. We generally work with the customer to find a local repair shop when needed.
Old 11-22-22, 04:22 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Hi Pingiss, that's a beatiful bike. You gotta work on the battery a bit. Is it 36V?

It's too bad you have to graft a big mid drive onto that frame. If they designed a motor for lower wattage, and made it smaller ...ah forget that, people would run it too hard and melt the darn thing..Yet, that's what's needed.
The battery is 36V, 10.5Ah. The motor really isn't that big; it fits very nicely in the frame. I wanted to go with a mid-drive for its higher torque and superior efficiency. It makes a huge difference to be able to use the output of the motor across the entire gear range instead of just having a hub-drive simply turn the wheel.
Old 11-23-22, 06:02 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

The battery is 36V, 10.5Ah. The motor really isn't that big; it fits very nicely in the frame. I wanted to go with a mid-drive for its higher torque and superior efficiency. It makes a huge difference to be able to use the output of the motor across the entire gear range instead of just having a hub-drive simply turn the wheel.
48v would have been slightly more desired, and provided a bit more range + less voltage sag.
Old 02-02-23, 10:51 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
I hope you are going forward with this. One suggestion, include internal wiring for lighting, even if you don't include the lights themselves.
Old 02-02-23, 12:10 PM
2old

I looked at their site and no mention of "e" activity. Perhaps supply issues have delayed the project.