Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brand new tubeless tyre with a sidewall cut

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-17-17, 11:03 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Schwalbe Pro 1, got a sidewall cut in about 200kms. Loath the idea of tossing it. Any possibility of salvaging it?

I patched it from the inside, and the patch developed a hole and blew out as soon as the tyre reached 100psi. I ride at 90, but wonder if this is safe at all.

Last edited by deepakvrao; 07-17-17 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 11:41 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's at 200 or 2000, toss it.
Old 07-17-17, 11:42 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bad luck. I wouldn't ride it. Just sometimes happens that a tire is ruined right away. I had a Pro 4 Endurance tire get a big hole after 500 miles, and chucked it. The other tire never got a flat though, and it is starting to show through.
Old 07-18-17, 12:17 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
You're not saying HOW you patched it.
If you only stuck a regular tube patch on there, failure was to be expected.
I fix sidewall tears by patching with liquisole and nylon fabric, and those patches tend to last the life of the tire.
Old 07-18-17, 03:08 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by dabac
You're not saying HOW you patched it.
If you only stuck a regular tube patch on there, failure was to be expected.
I fix sidewall tears by patching with liquisole and nylon fabric, and those patches tend to last the life of the tire.
I used a tube patch. What is the nylon fabric that you use?
Old 07-18-17, 03:19 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
I used a tube patch. What is the nylon fabric that you use?
Tires are more than rubber. They have a reinforcing layer of threads. You might have seen tires listed as having this-or-that TPI - threads-per-inch. For any chance of a lasting repair your patch needs to have a similar structure.
I've used patches cut from an old jacket liner. I work liquisole into the patch until saturation before applying over the cut. For a road tire I'd patch both sides. You might want to stitch the cut closed first. And clean/roughen the surface first. I've used abt 15 mm overlap.
Old 07-18-17, 04:04 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Deepak...I know you don't want to be wasteful, but just toss it. Not worth a wreck. You have the $.
Old 07-18-17, 06:26 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see that cut! Photos?
Old 07-18-17, 06:36 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You might try reaching out to Schwalbe, tell them you have low miles and how bummed you are given they aren't cheap. I had a small bubble develop on the shoulder of a Pro One and they replaced it. It's all done online, they'll have you take a pic and fill out a form. They may replace it in the name of good customer service, worth a try. Whatever you do, don't ride it anymore.
Old 07-18-17, 08:52 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
You didn't buy world class tires so that you could ride them cut up and patched. Tires are just that way, sometimes you get a lot of miles out of them, sometimes you don't. It is all averaged out in the end. Don't think of this one as unusual. It is just part of the overall average. Scrape your shoe and move on.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-18-17, 09:28 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
If you must use that tire I would boot it and tube it and put it on the back. Mount the booboo opposite the valve and chances are you will never notice it.
Old 07-18-17, 09:44 AM
deepakvrao

OK guys. Thanks. I think I'll boot it, put in a tube and relegate it for trainer use. Considering that I have not used my trainer more than thrice in 10 years, it should last for ever.
Old 07-18-17, 11:43 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
You could try using a radial tire sidewall repair kit.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-T...Tire-2012.html

I've patched cuts in tubeless tires before, if its less than 10mm in length it's probably worth trying to save.
Old 06-28-21, 02:20 PM
seibaatgung

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Tires are more than rubber. They have a reinforcing layer of threads. You might have seen tires listed as having this-or-that TPI - threads-per-inch. For any chance of a lasting repair your patch needs to have a similar structure.
I've used patches cut from an old jacket liner. I work liquisole into the patch until saturation before applying over the cut. For a road tire I'd patch both sides. You might want to stitch the cut closed first. And clean/roughen the surface first. I've used abt 15 mm overlap.
What exactly do you mean by a jacket liner? Is there a tutorial for this? Just got a slash in my WTB.
Old 06-28-21, 02:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Just a cut in the rubber or did it cut into the threads of the casing? If only in the rubber, I wouldn't worry other than to expect it to fail sooner than later.

If the threads of the casing are cut, then ride it if you want. Just be careful. Don't be racing down any mountain roads with switchbacks. If you only get one more ride on it, that's less wear and tear on the new tire. If you get a dozen more rides out of it even less wear for the replacement tire. However I do tend to replace cuts that go into the casing if inflating the tire to normal pressure makes them pooch out.

I've never had an accident or wreck from a flat. I'm sure others may have. None I've had were dangerous other than just a little squirrely for the wheel with the flat tire.
Old 06-28-21, 02:51 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
The only way I would ride a tubeless tire that was cut and patched would be temporarily, with a tube, until I get a new tire on the rim. Just not worth the risk.
Old 06-28-21, 03:27 PM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by Iride01
Just a cut in the rubber or did it cut into the threads of the casing? If only in the rubber, I wouldn't worry other than to expect it to fail sooner than later.

If the threads of the casing are cut, then ride it if you want. Just be careful. Don't be racing down any mountain roads with switchbacks. If you only get one more ride on it, that's less wear and tear on the new tire. If you get a dozen more rides out of it even less wear for the replacement tire. However I do tend to replace cuts that go into the casing if inflating the tire to normal pressure makes them pooch out.

I've never had an accident or wreck from a flat. I'm sure others may have. None I've had were dangerous other than just a little squirrely for the wheel with the flat tire.
It's a sidewall slash. The casing is cut but it's not that bad. I put a tube patch and then a tire boot over it. not sure if it'll hold and wasn't sure about necroing a thread so I bought some radial patches.
Old 06-28-21, 04:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by seibaatgung
It's a sidewall slash. The casing is cut but it's not that bad. I put a tube patch and then a tire boot over it. not sure if it'll hold and wasn't sure about necroing a thread so I bought some radial patches.
I didn't notice it was a zombie thread. Shame on me!

Your question would have stood up on it's own. I never see the point of adding the confusion of old comments to to a new question. Even if a 1000 others have asked the same question. Just think how long a thread and confusing a thread would be if everyone wanting opinions on a new bike posted in the same thread. Nobody would know whos is answering whos questions.

I was answering the OP's question!
Old 06-28-21, 04:24 PM
seibaatgung

I didn't notice it was a zombie thread. Shame on me!

Your question would have stood up on it's own. I never see the point of adding the confusion of old comments to to a new question. Even if a 1000 others have asked the same question. Just think how long a thread and confusing a thread would be if everyone wanting opinions on a new bike posted in the same thread. Nobody would know whos is answering whos questions.

I was answering the OP's question!
I only did it because I was looking for an answer from someone in particular.
Old 06-28-21, 04:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by seibaatgung
I only did it because I was looking for an answer from someone in particular.
Oh!

Now you've made me and everyone else sad since you don't think we could answer the question. <grin>

You still could have done a new thread, referenced dabac 's reply by copying the reply number of that post and pasting it into your new message. https://www.bikeforums.net/19726684-post6.html

But still what you did here does work. But if this had been a long and contentious thread with many members still active, you might just be dredging up old arguments and posturing. And your question could be entirely missed all together.
Old 06-28-21, 05:21 PM
seibaatgung

Now you've made me and everyone else sad since you don't think we could answer the question. <grin>
But still what you did here does work. But if this had been a long and contentious thread with many members still active, you might just be dredging up old arguments and posturing. And your question could be entirely missed all together.
I enjoy the feedback. I don't care how the job gets done but it seemed someone had a method guaranteed to work.
Oh!
You still could have done a new thread, referenced dabac 's reply by copying the reply number of that post and pasting it into your new message. https://www.bikeforums.net/19726684-post6.html
Done

Last edited by seibaatgung; 06-28-21 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-29-21, 05:02 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Schwalbe Pro 1, got a sidewall cut in about 200kms. Loath the idea of tossing it. Any possibility of salvaging it?

I patched it from the inside, and the patch developed a hole and blew out as soon as the tyre reached 100psi. I ride at 90, but wonder if this is safe at all.
Don't patch it, toss it. A blow out at speed on a descent would make for a very bad day.
Old 06-29-21, 07:59 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Thankfully, @deepakvrao is still with us. He must have done the sensible thing with that tire.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498