Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Deore cranks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Deore cranks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 11:13 AM
defjack

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio 2.1 T50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Deore cranks

Want to buy a used Deore crank. The shell on my bike is 68 Deore 73 will the Deore crank work with a spacer?
Old 05-17-08, 11:58 AM
Sanchana
aka Sanchez

Bikes: Tandem Beach Crusier, 1989 Cannondale M300 Mt. Bike, turned cyclocross. 2006 Trek 2200... I hate Trek, but love this bike.... others that are near junk.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have a spacer on the non drive side and it's been workin' great!
Old 05-17-08, 12:04 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It'll work, but the devil is in the details.

The first trick is to figure out what bottom bracket you need. Most bottom bracket sheels are either 68 or 73mm wide. Get the right one. A few bottom brackets will work with either.

Spindle length is a separate issue. As a general rule, your crankset is the biggest single factor in determining spindle length. Some cranks will specify, for example,110/113mm. If that's the case, use the 113mm if you have 135mm dropouts and 110 if you have 130mm dropouts. That'll give you the best chainline.

You may have a front derailleur issue if you are using very much smaller chainrings than previously but I'm thinking that going from big chainrings to small chainrings won't matter as much.