Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur, Big Ring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 04:40 PM
Kambei

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS (cheap), presently looking at road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheap Schwinn trail bike, Shimano Tourney RD (just says Shimano on the FD), index shifting, triple.

I need to adjust the FD because it's sometimes difficult to shift from the middle ring to the big one -- I'm twisting way past the "3" on the left shifter and sometimes that still doesn't do it on first try. I rarely use the granny but it's no trouble shifting to that ring or to the middle one, although when in the middle ring it's usually between the "3" and the "2" on the shifter (closer to the "2," though). I don't really care that the numbers don't line up, I just want to be able to shift smoothly from middle ring to big ring.

1) Since the problem is with the big ring, I don't need to adjust the "L" screw, do I?

2) When I adjust the "H" screw, does the cable need to be loose (there's no barrel adjuster, just a screw to hold the cable in place)?

3) Should I adjust the tautness of the cable?

I did read the instructions at Park Tool, but I wasn't clear about the above. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-08, 04:50 PM
defjack

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio 2.1 T50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your cable has stretched.Shift down to the small ring and put some more tension on the cable.
Old 09-28-08, 04:53 PM
FlatMaster
Genius

Bikes: Specilized Sirrus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you need to tighten the cable. It might be difficult if you don't have a barel adjuster. You might want to check and see if there is an adjuster on the shifter end of the cable. If not, you need to loosen the bolt that attaches the cable to the front derailure and take in a little bit of slack on the cable. You'll want to loosen the cable as much as possible before dint this. Your cable might be really freyed where it attaches to the derailure. If this is the case, you can buy a new one. Wall mart sells them.
Old 09-28-08, 05:23 PM
Kambei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by defjack
Your cable has stretched.Shift down to the small ring and put some more tension on the cable.
I thought that might be it, but earlier today I must've tightened it too much. It was shifting up to my big ring, but wouldn't go past "2" on the index. That's when I decided I'd better ask.
Old 09-28-08, 05:29 PM
Kambei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatMaster
It sounds like you need to tighten the cable. It might be difficult if you don't have a barel adjuster. You might want to check and see if there is an adjuster on the shifter end of the cable. If not, you need to loosen the bolt that attaches the cable to the front derailure and take in a little bit of slack on the cable. You'll want to loosen the cable as much as possible before dint this. Your cable might be really freyed where it attaches to the derailure. If this is the case, you can buy a new one. Wall mart sells them.
Hey, Auburn! I grew up in Columbus. Anyway, you're right, there's an adjuster under the grip. I thought it was just protective plastic housing. So I just played with it a little bit and I must still have it too tight because when it's in the big ring the index reads "2." I'll work on it tomorrow and hopefully will have time to ride it for an hour or so after work.
Old 09-29-08, 04:14 PM
ogbigbird

Bikes: like 15. my favorite a 1951 schwinn spitfire cruiser. also have a 1959 amf roadmaster, 1962 jch deluxe cruiser among others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. with your chain on the smallest chainring, make sure there is no excess slack in your shifting wire. good way to tell is when you begin moving the shifter, the front derailleur should begin to move as well. just don't over do it. then make sure as you are trying to shift into the big ring that your high range limiter screw isn't too tigh, preventing the deraillur to travel any furthur. if you adjust the high limit screw, do it a little at a time. in most cases, as you adjust it, you can see the derailleur start to move up a bit. now you should be able to shift up onto the big ring, and if you can't, keep micro adjusting untill you can. just not too far that your chain jumps off the other end of the ring.

that should work for you. good luck.