Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

"Pedal steering" in front wheel drive Cruzbikes?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 08:45 PM
pmmpete

Bikes: Optima "Orca"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When pedaling a front wheel drive Cruzbike, does the bike veer left-right-left-right as you pedal, particularly if you aren't clipped in or you punch the pedals rather than using good spinning technique?
Old 12-16-09, 11:56 PM
pablo6276

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It becomes less noticeable with practice. Just remember to keep your upper body relaxed.
Old 12-17-09, 06:46 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Jim Parker, from Cruzbike, put out a video from his ride on Cycle North Carolina. Between watching that and my own short experience, I'd say that pedal steer ranges from significant to extreme. In his videos, Maria seems to have learned how to control it better than him, so I also believe Pablo6276 that experience minimizes it. Relaxing the upper body though -- Cruzbike touts the "upper body workout" they provide.

CNC video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxteNsPt5II
Old 12-17-09, 08:03 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me, riding a Cruzbike was a singular experience. Though I'm not a masher, the bike wanted to move back and forth but then, rather suddenly, it decided straight was a fine direction. The difference was in my riding. Rather than holding weight centered, I had relaxed was allowing some very subtle weight shift right and left. This was not at all unpleasant. Though it's not useful and even inefficient, I've even used that Cruzbike weight shifting to break up long riders on my Volae Century and Trice Q.
Old 12-17-09, 04:08 PM
defjack

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio 2.1 T50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its only a problm on the first few rides.
Old 12-17-09, 04:14 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does riding a Cruzbike require too much attention for touring?
Old 12-19-09, 12:35 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
It will certainly attract attention.

There was a lady riding TourBC last July on a Cruzbike Silvio. She seemed to have no problem riding with the uprights, nevermind the OHPV gang on our Easy Racer bikes. This was a supported tour, so we weren't carrying much in the way of gear.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-19-09, 11:43 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
There was a lady riding TourBC last July on a Cruzbike Silvio. She seemed to have no problem riding with the uprights, nevermind the OHPV gang on our Easy Racer bikes. This was a supported tour, so we weren't carrying much in the way of gear.
Oh I have no doubt she had no problem, but that doesn't mean it isn't cumbersome.
Old 12-20-09, 04:51 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Oh I have no doubt she had no problem, but that doesn't mean it isn't cumbersome.
Uhh... what? I don't understand...

Old 12-21-09, 07:34 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Uhh... what? I don't understand...
Just because something is less than ideal that doesn't mean it will hinder everyone that tries to use it. For example, there was a time when people didn't seem to have a problem riding the PBP on fixed gear bikes with solid tires.

IMO aside from destroying some of the basic elements there's not really much one can do to substantially hinder a bike provided the rider is determined. So when I ask if the Cruzbike requires too much attention I'm not asking if it creates a problem which hinders the ability of the rider; It would have to be almost unrideable to do that. I'm asking if it's a nuisance or if it's less than ideal.
Old 12-21-09, 10:11 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an older V1 Sofrider. The cruzbike isn't hard to ride overall. There was a bit of learning with turning and starting out more than pedaling in a straight line for me. Like i need to make sure to lean a bit forward when starting up a slippery hill but I just do it automatically now.
I've carried a bag on the back with a bit of weight on it, far more then that picture above, and it wasn't bad. I originally got it because I had seen a few people had put an xtracycle freerider on the back of it and carried quite a bit of cargo so I don't think it is really an antitouring bike as it could carry weight with the added xtracycle or by itself as I currently ride it.
The Silvio shown above is a racing bike so probably wouldn't be good for heavy touring with 40lbs of stuff in panniers but probably work just as well as most of the other high end carbon recumbent racing bikes.
Old 12-23-09, 09:05 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Based on my rides which add up to even less than half-vast experience, I think that would depend on the rider. Some riders would find the whole-body involvement refreshing. Others might find it tiring. I'd rather tour on a trike, but that's just me. And a few others.
Old 12-26-09, 11:03 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Just because something is less than ideal that doesn't mean it will hinder everyone that tries to use it. For example, there was a time when people didn't seem to have a problem riding the PBP on fixed gear bikes with solid tires.

IMO aside from destroying some of the basic elements there's not really much one can do to substantially hinder a bike provided the rider is determined. So when I ask if the Cruzbike requires too much attention I'm not asking if it creates a problem which hinders the ability of the rider; It would have to be almost unrideable to do that. I'm asking if it's a nuisance or if it's less than ideal.
So you're asking if the Cruzbike is too demanding of the rider's ability to be a good touring bike?

Maybe if you restate your question I won't be so comfused.