Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick noob tubeless tire install question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 11:53 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Got my new tires, and will do my first removal of old/installation of new tubeless tires on my gravel bike. I've got a pump with the tubeless cylinder thingy, and have been watching videos. WTB tires on WTB tubeless rims, hoping it'll be smooth sailing.
My question is, some videos show putting the sealant in the tire before fully seating it - pouring it in with one bead inside the rim, and then popping the opposite bead in. Then inflating/seating. But for a first-timer like me, would it make more sense to seat it w/o any sealant in, make sure it's seating properly, then deflate and put my sealant in? I'm used to putting sealant in BTW - have done that many times, taking out the valve core, etc. Is one approach better, or, does it really matter? Seems like the first approach has more likelihood of a mess if I screw something up!
Old 03-26-21, 12:02 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Do a "dry run" and seat the bead without sealant first. Skipping the dry run is for advanced tubelessers.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-26-21, 12:03 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by tyrion
Do a "dry run" and seat the bead without sealant first. Skipping the dry run is for advanced tubelessers.
Thanks. That's what I was kinda thinking!
Old 03-26-21, 02:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I agree. Seat it first, then add the sealant through the valve.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-27-21, 05:42 AM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Some sealants are too thick to go through the valve (e.g. Stan’s race); otherwise, doesn’t matter.
Old 03-27-21, 04:22 PM
pbass

Thanks for the tips guys. Sadly, I cannot get the bead to seat no matter what. WTB tires, WTB rims (just going from Ventures to Senderos - everything is in theory totally compatible). It's as if the Blackburn pump with the tubeless chamber just isn't a strong enough blast (man, pumping that thing up to 160psi is a bit of a workout after 6-7 tries!). Same with both tires - neither would seat.

I wonder if it has anything to do with these being the new WTBs with these features, combined with not enough air pressure blast?:
-Protected SG2 gravel tires feature a 120tpi casing, which improves suppleness compared to a traditional 60tpi tire.
-SG2 was specifically designed to be a puncture protection layer, but it also improves air retention and eliminates seeping at the sidewall.

Does more supple make it harder to get the bead to seat? I read one reviewer complain that some WTB tires he had were "slack in the bead", and hard to mount. I certainly had no problem popping these on to the rims. Maybe the SG2 layer is making it harder to seat? In any event, off to the LBS!

Last edited by pbass; 03-27-21 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 05:02 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Skipping the dry run is for folks that like getting really dirty and don't mind a huge mess when things just didn't go quite right...
Likes For Badger6:
Old 03-27-21, 05:08 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Badger6
Skipping the dry run is for folks that like getting really dirty and don't mind a huge mess when things just didn't go quite right...
Well I for one am glad I skipped it since I couldn't get these suckers to seat! I did manage to make a pretty good mess with some of the old tires' sealant though...
Likes For pbass:
Old 03-27-21, 05:09 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by pbass
Thanks for the tips guys. Sadly, I cannot get the bead to seat no matter what. WTB tires, WTB rims (just going from Ventures to Senderos - everything is in theory totally compatible). It's as if the Blackburn pump with the tubeless chamber just isn't a strong enough blast (man, pumping that thing up to 160psi is a bit of a workout after 6-7 tries!). Same with both tires - neither would seat.

I wonder if it has anything to do with these being the new WTBs with these features, combined with not enough air pressure blast?:
-Protected SG2 gravel tires feature a 120tpi casing, which improves suppleness compared to a traditional 60tpi tire.
-SG2 was specifically designed to be a puncture protection layer, but it also improves air retention and eliminates seeping at the sidewall.

Does more supple make it harder to get the bead to seat? I read one reviewer complain that some WTB tires he had were "slack in the bead", and hard to mount. I certainly had no problem popping these on to the rims. Maybe the SG2 layer is making it harder to seat? In any event, off to the LBS!
That sounds odd. I haven't used a charger bottle for a couple of years now. In fact, I did two wheel sets today (one for a new bike and one for a buddy), and in both cases I used a track pump to inflate all 4 tires and get the beads set. This sounds odd, not that you've done anything wrong, but that after all you've done they wouldn't seat. Also, the suppleness of the carcass has nothing to do with the bead.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 03-27-21, 05:14 PM
pbass

That sounds odd. I haven't used a charger bottle for a couple of years now. In fact, I did two wheel sets today (one for a new bike and one for a buddy), and in both cases I used a track pump to inflate all 4 tires and get the beads set. This sounds odd, not that you've done anything wrong, but that after all you've done they wouldn't seat. Also, the suppleness of the carcass has nothing to do with the bead.
Yeah, man, I followed the Park tool video, etc. No matter what there was air escaping from at least one area of the bead/rim. I'd go around the tire and get it all looking good as far as the bead/rim and then when I'd shoot the air in there was always one spot where air would escape. Not always the same spot.
Heading to my LBS shortly--will see what they say. Bringing my old tires too as a backup in case there's something up with this tires/rims combo.
One thing I have not tried (since my LBS said they could see me today) is the trick I just read of putting a tube in and inflating and trying to get it seated that way for starters.

Last edited by pbass; 03-27-21 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-27-21, 05:26 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

...there was always one spot where air would escape. Not always the same spot.
Before you go running out to the LBS...what pressure were you able to get the tire pumped up to? In my experience very few tire/rim combos ever perfectly seal dry, regardless what the manufactures will claim. BUT, the leak of air doesn't mean the bead isn't set. Do a visual inspection of the tire, there should be a witness mark that is just above the rim, all the way around on both sides. It's a thin line and is usually 2-4mm above the rim. If you can see this on both sides, the bead is in place, go ahead, and put the sealant in, and then shake and rotate the wheel to get it all the way around, then inflate to 50-60 psi, and continue to shake/rotate the wheel. Sometimes it will seal directly, sometimes you'll need to go through a few iterations of the inflate/shake/rotate process. Once it holds air reasonable well, go ride it for 20-30 minutes, to really get eh sealant well distributed.
Old 03-27-21, 05:27 PM
pbass

Before you go running out to the LBS...what pressure were you able to get the tire pumped up to?.
Zero! It didn't start to inflate at all!
Old 03-27-21, 05:31 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Zero! It didn't start to inflate at all!
I've never experienced this....I'm no help at this distance.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 03-27-21, 05:32 PM
pbass

I've never experienced this....I'm no help at this distance.
Thanks for trying to get it sorted.
Heading over there now - I will report back!
Old 03-27-21, 06:52 PM
pbass

Well, I don't feel so lame now. My LBS mechs couldn't get them seated either. Even w putting a tube in and getting one side seated, the other side would not seat. Seems that after being folded there's a couple sort of dented areas that just won't mold to the rim readily. They're going to put tubes in and let them sit with pressure in for a while to mold the shape better and then try again. I could have brought them home and tried that but I figure I'll let the pros handle this one. Was one of the most stubborn cases my mech said he'd seen!

Last edited by pbass; 03-27-21 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For pbass:
Old 03-27-21, 11:23 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That is bad luck and super frustrating. My WTB Resolutes mount pretty easily on Stan's rims with a track pump. The bead seats at 40psi and they don't require sealant to hold air. One issue i have struggled with is initially getting the tire beads to cover the valve opening. If i don't get that right nothing works, no matter how furiously I pump. Good luck
Likes For Bingod:
Old 03-28-21, 12:00 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Well, I don't feel so lame now. My LBS mechs couldn't get them seated either. Even w putting a tube in and getting one side seated, the other side would not seat. Seems that after being folded there's a couple sort of dented areas that just won't mold to the rim readily. They're going to put tubes in and let them sit with pressure in for a while to mold the shape better and then try again. I could have brought them home and tried that but I figure I'll let the pros handle this one. Was one of the most stubborn cases my mech said he'd seen!
Glad you're getting it sorted. I've never had a tire that just wouldn't seat, I'll keep this filed away if I ever have a similar situation. Good luck.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 03-28-21, 09:23 AM
pbass

Not sure I follow what you mean by cover the valve opening - you mean getting the bead to seat on the rim on either side of where the valve is? I watched as the mech kneaded and squeezed and pushed down on the tire in that area (well, eventually all over--at one point two guys were holding it!).
Old 03-28-21, 09:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Just curious: when you say “dry run”, do you mean actually dry? I use slightly soapy water.

What kind of tape are you using? Does it go all the way to the edge of the rim? Depending on the answers to these questions, the solution may be in the taping.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-28-21, 09:46 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Kapusta
“dry run”
Military parlance...meaning do a full speed rehearsal without live ammo. In this case, mount the tire fully, WITHOUT sealant.

Once the beads are set (and if you need soapy water, use it to achieve this), release all the air, remove the valve core, and inject sealant in the desired amount, reinflate, shake/rattle/roll/ride to get tire sealed.
Old 03-28-21, 09:48 AM
pbass

Just curious: when you say “dry run”, do you mean actually dry? I use slightly soapy water.

What kind of tape are you using? Does it go all the way to the edge of the rim? Depending on the answers to these questions, the solution may be in the taping.
I didn't use soapy water (though I had it ready to go) because it was pretty easy to pop the tires into the rims. Isn't that typically what that is for?
The taping is the way they came taped "tubeless-ready" from Kona/WTB. The previous WTB tires seated no prob. The LBS said everything looked good, except as I say that it seemed these areas on the tires that were sort of dented from being folded weren't flattening out and molding to the rim straight away. That was the only thing they could figure was making it so stubborn.
Old 03-28-21, 09:50 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

“dry run”
Military parlance...meaning do a full speed rehearsal without live ammo. In this case, mount the tire fully, WITHOUT sealant.

Once the beads are set (and if you need soapy water, use it to achieve this), release all the air, remove the valve core, and inject sealant in the desired amount, reinflate, shake/rattle/roll/ride to get tire sealed.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 03-28-21, 09:56 AM
pbass

I'm quite certain my guys at the LBS were very glad I hadn't put the sealant in yet!
Likes For pbass:
Old 03-28-21, 09:57 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

I'm quite certain my guys at the LBS were very glad I hadn't put the sealant in yet!
Of this I have no doubt!
Old 03-28-21, 10:16 AM
pbass

Now that I think of it, I wonder if it's the new-fangled SG2 lining inside the tires that's making it not form to the rim right away like my previous WTBs. It is an extra layer of puncture prevention. Seems possible that the tires are actually made a little stiffer with this lining, and this set at least needed extra care to completely get the folds out as a result.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.