Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Harassment of cyclists in New Jersey

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-21-21, 06:00 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Police officers in Perth Amboy, New Jersey confiscated bikes and placed at least one rider in custody. Their crime: riding through town without city-issued bike license tags. The riders were not residents of Perth Amboy.

https://www.rawstory.com/riding-bike...-license-tags/
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 04-21-21, 08:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Here's another article about it:
https://www.nj.com/middlesex/2021/04...is-raging.html

Here is a link to the City of Perth Amboy Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan published in January 2016:
https://cues.rutgers.edu/perth-amboy...AL-1-18-16.pdf

Page 50 features a recommendation to end the requirement to license bicycles:
"Bicycle Licensing (§ 158-1 through 8) This section sets forth licensing requirements for bicycle travel in the city. However, these requirements are unnecessary, difficult to enforce, set unfair burdens on bike usage, and may discourage regional bicycle trips to destinations within the city – especially for bicyclists from nearby municipalities that do not have similar requirements. The City should remove this requirement."

Page 51-53 adds more bike-friendly suggestions including adding bicycle parking accommodations to the building code, bicycle/pedestrian education, and...
"Bicycle Maps and Brochures The City should consider developing maps and brochures that identify existing bicycle and pedestrian routes and connections, including pedestrian bridges and tunnels. By highlighting preferred routes for walking and biking, these maps can be useful to both residents and visitors. Maps can also contain information about the benefits of non-motorized transportation, walking and biking safety tips, relevant traffic laws, bicycle parking locations, and information about local biking or walking groups."

Doesn't sound like Perth Amboy acted on this plan. I bet they wish they had over the next few weeks.
Old 04-21-21, 08:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
PD claims he wasn't arrested, he was taken into "protective custody" in handcuffs. Protective from what, exactly?
Old 04-22-21, 05:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Good stuff.
So many ignorant comments.

I live in NJ and for the past year or so there has been a pretty widespread issue where young cyclists ride through the center of towns for no other reason than to disrupt pedestrians and vehicles.
I can’t know for sure but this definitely seems to be another instance of that behavior. One of their favorite things to do is pedal up to someone very fast and skid to a stop right in front of them to scare them. They mostly do it to older people.
They also like to ride wheelies and disrupt the already slow traffic in the center of town.

My local town FB page has been buzzing with it for awhile now. For the most part I try to defend the riders as young kids just blowing off steam but either way what they are doing is wrong and I am not surprised that it appears that another town tried to use an id or tag loophole to crack down on it.

Either way it certainly doesn’t appear to be a race issue. Unless ofc you are the type that makes everything a race issue
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-22-21, 05:18 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Police officers in Perth Amboy, New Jersey confiscated bikes and placed at least one rider in custody. Their crime: riding through town without city-issued bike license tags. The riders were not residents of Perth Amboy.

https://www.rawstory.com/riding-bike...-license-tags/
You should maybe watch an entire video before you post it
Old 04-22-21, 05:40 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You should maybe watch an entire video before you post it
Of course I watched the video. If you have something to say about the kids, then say it.
Old 04-22-21, 05:54 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
This is one reason why I moved away from the big city (I lived outside Washington DC). Just too many stupid rules...a license for a bike

So many problems like this coming out of big cities. The more people you cram into an area, the more stupid rules there are.

BTW, the one cop seemed to have the situation under control, then all of a sudden the others came out of nowhere to confiscate the bikes....
Old 04-22-21, 06:00 AM
downhillmaster

Of course I watched the video. If you have something to say about the kids, then say it.
Good stuff considering I already said it in my above post.
What do you have to say though about the kids intentionally swerving in front of cars as part of the video/story you posted?
Old 04-22-21, 06:03 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Good stuff.
So many ignorant comments.

I live in NJ and for the past year or so there has been a pretty widespread issue where young cyclists ride through the center of towns for no other reason than to disrupt pedestrians and vehicles.
I can’t know for sure but this definitely seems to be another instance of that behavior. One of their favorite things to do is pedal up to someone very fast and skid to a stop right in front of them to scare them. They mostly do it to older people.
They also like to ride wheelies and disrupt the already slow traffic in the center of town.

My local town FB page has been buzzing with it for awhile now. For the most part I try to defend the riders as young kids just blowing off steam but either way what they are doing is wrong and I am not surprised that it appears that another town tried to use an id or tag loophole to crack down on it.

Either way it certainly doesn’t appear to be a race issue. Unless ofc you are the type that makes everything a race issue
Disrupting vehicles! OH MY GOD, WE CANNOT HAVE THIS! ARREST THEM!

As usual, the Advocacy & Safety forum does not disappoint, with full-on support of car dominance, victim-blaming of cyclists, and quite often, overt racism.

If you use terms like "false flag", describe yourself as "conservative" or a "patriot", or straight-up deny that racism exists: you are probably a racist.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-22-21, 06:09 AM
wphamilton

Good stuff considering I already said it in my above post.
What do you have to say though about the kids intentionally swerving in front of cars in the video you posted?
oh I know this one: Get off my lawn, right?

Since the cop was going on and on about them being in the street and not having licenses. Watch the video yourself.

And by the way, you said nothing about those kids in your post. Unless you think they're a roving gang who target your own town and facebook friends?

Last edited by wphamilton; 04-22-21 at 06:18 AM.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 04-22-21, 07:07 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Okay, I'll bite.
They were acting like jerks. The police officers stopped them, asked them politely not to ride like jerks. A couple of them got loud mouthed and got what they deserved, using a little enforced statute in the law.
How's that?
Old 04-22-21, 07:07 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I don't understand using a "loophole" to arrest/confiscate. If someone is breaking the law, then act on that, why bring in the issue of license for a bike? As for racism, I don't see that in this case, the cops that confiscated the bike were not exactly pasty whities

I do understand the issue of riding around like a "gang" (I use that term loosely); they're kids, luckily the things I did on bikes when I was that age wasn't recorded

There are so many layers here to uncover, but I think most of it has to do with large cities and the problems that seem to come with living in them.
Old 04-22-21, 07:23 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
These kids were just having fun, though in their youthful exuberance, didn't realize the danger to themselves and others in their behaviour. I remember doing stuff like this as well, ignorant of consequences, and am thankful that I survived. I have no doubt that this licensing law was enacted in response to citizen complaints about such behaviour and likely the intent was to give the police leverage to control it. I can also see that the police are frustrated - they want to satisfy the citizenry but also to allow kids to be kids (safely). The whole theater of this "police action" was likely to just send a message to the kids that this is a serious thing, but I doubt that it is a long term solution. That community would be better served by working with the kids and their parents to come up with a better, more sustainable, outlet for their energy.

I'm impressed by the skill of some of these kids.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-22-21, 07:25 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11318 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
Stay on target or we'll just move it to P&R
Old 04-22-21, 07:48 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Disrupting vehicles! OH MY GOD, WE CANNOT HAVE THIS! ARREST THEM!

As usual, the Advocacy & Safety forum does not disappoint, with full-on support of car dominance, victim-blaming of cyclists, and quite often, overt racism.

If you use terms like "false flag", describe yourself as "conservative" or a "patriot", or straight-up deny that racism exists: you are probably a racist.
Awesome.
More ignorance from someone who obviously didn’t watch the video that this post is based upon.
The cyclists were also passing and then turning to surround vehicles driving in the road.
You keep doing you though, snowflake
Old 04-22-21, 07:49 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Okay, I'll bite.
They were acting like jerks. The police officers stopped them, asked them politely not to ride like jerks. A couple of them got loud mouthed and got what they deserved, using a little enforced statute in the law.
How's that?
This ^^^
Old 04-22-21, 07:50 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
These kids were just having fun, though in their youthful exuberance, didn't realize the danger to themselves and others in their behaviour. I remember doing stuff like this as well, ignorant of consequences, and am thankful that I survived. I have no doubt that this licensing law was enacted in response to citizen complaints about such behaviour and likely the intent was to give the police leverage to control it. I can also see that the police are frustrated - they want to satisfy the citizenry but also to allow kids to be kids (safely). The whole theater of this "police action" was likely to just send a message to the kids that this is a serious thing, but I doubt that it is a long term solution. That community would be better served by working with the kids and their parents to come up with a better, more sustainable, outlet for their energy.

I'm impressed by the skill of some of these kids.
Well stated and I agree for the most part.
Old 04-22-21, 07:52 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Okay, I'll bite.
How's that?
What I saw was officers haranguing them about bike licenses which, ordinance or no, they had no legitimate authority to. I wouldn't have gotten mouthy, but only because I'm older and wiser and know how that turns out. These are kids, being wronged by authority - backtalk should be expected.

If they're too unruly, just warn them off. The cops got that wrong also, because most of what they were doing was no big deal. Just the idea, the nerve of those kids, taking up the street was the gist of it. But that wasn't what the cops acted on; they acted on the license issue. You're implying that it was a pretext for the cop's disruption and heavy handed result, a pretext because they didn't or couldn't cite "riding like jerks". I'd tend to agree that it did look like they used the (probably illegal) ordinance as a pretext for punishing the kids.
Old 04-22-21, 08:01 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Awesome.
More ignorance from someone who obviously didn’t watch the video that this post is based upon.
The cyclists were also passing and then turning to surround vehicles driving in the road.
You keep doing you though, snowflake
... and if you ever use the term "snowflake", you are probably a racist.
Old 04-22-21, 08:06 AM
downhillmaster

What I saw was officers haranguing them about bike licenses which, ordinance or no, they had no legitimate authority to. I wouldn't have gotten mouthy, but only because I'm older and wiser and know how that turns out. These are kids, being wronged by authority - backtalk should be expected.

If they're too unruly, just warn them off. The cops got that wrong also, because most of what they were doing was no big deal. Just the idea, the nerve of those kids, taking up the street was the gist of it. But that wasn't what the cops acted on; they acted on the license issue. You're implying that it was a pretext for the cop's disruption and heavy handed result, a pretext because they didn't or couldn't cite "riding like jerks". I'd tend to agree that it did look like they used the (probably illegal) ordinance as a pretext for punishing the kids.
No comment on the fact that the video clearly shows the cyclists passing vehicles and then intentionally circling back to surround the vehicles to block them?
That’s what you are now trying to defend as just some kids riding like jerks?
Good stuff lol
Old 04-22-21, 08:26 AM
wphamilton

Sorry, but I'm not going to comment on things that only happened in some poster's imagination. Even if it was relevant (it's not). Bottom line: bikes were taken, kids arrested, for not having city bike licenses.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 04-22-21, 08:45 AM
downhillmaster

Sorry, but I'm not going to comment on things that only happened in some poster's imagination. Even if it was relevant (it's not). Bottom line: bikes were taken, kids arrested, for not having city bike licenses.
More proof that you didn’t even watch the whole video.
Good stuff
Old 04-22-21, 09:39 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
  • "Kids" behaving like *******s on bikes get in trouble with the police.
  • Bicycle licenses are stupid.
  • Doesn't seem like it's a racial issue (beyond, "everything is a racial issue" now).
  • It's 6 miles one-way from Edison.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-22-21, 09:43 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Probably, wouldn't have happened if the kids weren't riding like *******s. That's an important part of the story. One you are conveniently ignoring.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-22-21, 09:50 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
You want to get rid of bike licenses in your city it's easy. Just go to court. Every time they bring in licenses the costs of enforcing them quickly end up costing the city huge amounts.

7+ cops to confiscate a bike under a bylaw, and arrest two teenagers? Looks racist to me.

Last edited by cbrstar; 04-22-21 at 09:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.