Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fell Over Today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fell Over Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 01:36 PM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
Fell Over Today

Guess there is a first time for everything. I was on ride for my lunch break and thought I got a flat so I unclipped my left foot to stop. As I was coming to a stop I guess I leaned to my right instead and over I went. It is funny I am always aware of unclipping and leaning left before stopping, but today habit was not good enough. Guess my head was somewhere else. I am sure someone driving by got a laugh out it, I know i had to laugh at myself after. I have a nice red mark on my forearm at the elbow to remember the occasion.

Just thought I would share the story.
Old 05-13-21, 01:39 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Happens to everyone at some point. 😉 Glad you are ok.
Old 05-13-21, 02:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Happened to me more than once. Thankfully it's been awhile.

Don't know why there always seems to be the maximum amount of others to witness such events. Every one of my falling timber instances had a big audience.

So welcome to the club!
Old 05-13-21, 02:54 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
In elation over conquering a local climb for the first time, and being entranced by the scenery, I unclipped and leaned the opposite way and timbred on my hip.
At least I got to enjoy the view for a split second before giving myself a good chewing out.
Old 05-13-21, 04:28 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Happens to everyone at some point. 😉 Glad you are ok.
Only for those that are clipped in. I'm not... I haven't fallen in 45+ years of using toe straps...

The only time I 'dropped' like that was on a motorcycle when my passenger tried to counteract the 'lean' to the one side that I had induced to put my leg down at a stoplight... Of course my throttle hand didn't let go but my clutch hand did - and a 'broadie' ensued that threw us BOTH off the bike... I was NOT amused!!! No more motorcycle rides for her!
Old 05-13-21, 04:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Try These. No Fall Over. My Size 13 shoe

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 05-30-21 at 09:51 PM. Reason: add
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-13-21, 04:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Only for those that are clipped in. I'm not... I haven't fallen in 45+ years of using toe straps...

The only time I 'dropped' like that was on a motorcycle when my passenger tried to counteract the 'lean' to the one side that I had induced to put my leg down at a stoplight... Of course my throttle hand didn't let go but my clutch hand did - and a 'broadie' ensued that threw us BOTH off the bike... I was NOT amused!!! No more motorcycle rides for her!
I think I fell over more when I was using clips and straps than I have since I started using clipless in the late 80s. I did fall over last summer when I ran into my friends rear wheel. It was at a coffee stop with lots of people sitting outside. I stood up and took a bow, they laughed.
The bow thing was taught to me by a guy I used to ride dirt bikes with, he crashed a lot.
He also had a Gold Wing and dropped it in his garage after a few drinks and put his foot down in some oil and down it went.
Old 05-13-21, 04:54 PM
big john

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Try These. No Fall Over.
My feet are almost as big as yours and when I used quill pedals I had to bend the little tab on the outside edge of the pedal down or grind it off because I toe-out. I like the spacer between the clip and the pedal, I did something like that and I moved the clip to the outside of the pedal by drilling new holes. I also reshaped the clips to not put pressure on the tops of my feet. Christophe LL clips were the only ones that worked.
Oh how I hate toe clips and straps!
Old 05-13-21, 05:32 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by big john
< snip >...He also had a Gold Wing and dropped it in his garage after a few drinks and put his foot down in some oil and down it went.
The only time I went down in the garage on my motorcycle was when I was backing it in, and to get where I needed to be I had spun by dad's 'cycle bars out of the way. His bike fell over, pinning my leg against my cycle's hot exhaust - < sizzle-sizzle-sizzle!!! > I still carry that scar today, 35 years later!
Old 05-13-21, 05:39 PM
big john

The only time I went down in the garage on my motorcycle was when I was backing it in, and to get where I needed to be I had spun by dad's 'cycle bars out of the way. His bike fell over, pinning my leg against my cycle's hot exhaust - < sizzle-sizzle-sizzle!!! > I still carry that scar today, 35 years later!
Ouch! Hot pipe story; I had a YZ490 and I wore AXO mx boots which had plastic on the calf part, which melted on the pipe creating little peaks, which shredded the saddle.
Old 05-13-21, 07:27 PM
Cougrrcj

Dad's was a '76 KZ400S -- the stripped-down model without electric start, center stand and had painted fenders, and I was on my '83 V-45 Sabre with the full Hondaline fairing at almost 720 pounds... Me? I was 5'8", weighed in at ~140 pounds... The Sabre was quite top-heavy, and I couldn't straddle it other than on tip-toes. Yeah, the Sabre was a bit 'too big' for me (physical size, not engine), and I had upgraded from a '82 Yamaha 550 Seca... The 550 was buzzy, but a nice bike although underpowered compared to what I had been riding... In late '82 I had gotten wrecked by a 'cager' making a left turn while riding my '76 Yamaha RD400... I REALLY miss that RD400 to this day!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 05-13-21 at 07:33 PM.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 05-13-21, 07:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
So glad you are OK... Even a little fall can be devastating. And never underestimate the severity of even small cases of Road Rash.
Old 05-13-21, 08:44 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Every time I do one of those I'm just glad it was a mind glitch that gave a little road rash, not a glitch that plastered me to the front of a truck!

A couple weeks ago I was too busy watching the cars and ran into a curb and made a mess of things. But I was back riding in a minute with minimal damage.
Old 05-13-21, 08:49 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
My new bike now 5 years old is a compact frame and I turned sharply with my clipped in pedals at the 9 to 3 position and there I went over on the gravel. My older bike would turn sharply and my feet would clear but not the new bike. Cursed a little bit.
Old 05-14-21, 03:05 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
My personal preference is for straps and traps. I’ve been riding with them since the early seventies and I don’t do change very well. I can’t say whether they are better because I’ve never wanted to try the clip thingy on the shoe. I just wear a narrow, flat skate shoe and keep the straps just shy of snug.
Old 05-14-21, 04:16 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
You seem in good spirts, and glad you’re ok. Don’t give it a second thought. It happens to everyone. Around eight years ago I was cycling with a new club for me ride. You guessed it. I unclipped at a stop sign and lost my balance and went down- duh! Have fun, and be safe.
Old 05-14-21, 09:47 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Leave 'em loose

First time I rode my new Raleigh in 1981, I pulled up to a stop sign in Yuma, AZ and forgot to release toe clip. Just as I fell over, a carload of high school kids pulled up beside, windows down. One looked at me, and in a comical, non-threatening voice, said simply, "a$$hole."

Even I had a good laugh at that, along with the other yahoos in the car.

I never tighten straps, still prefer toe clips, and have them on all my bikes. Once was enough for me. I knew I'd forget occasionally if I tightened them, so I don't.

Glad you're ok.
Old 05-14-21, 10:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
OP Not even your pride was hurt! That’s what I call a successful fall. Glad you were not injured.

Old 05-14-21, 10:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It happens. I haven't ridden much the past few months so when I do I take a lap around the parking lot to practice unclipping/reclipping both feet to get back the mindset.

But for decades I've been accustomed to unclipping (or, with toe clips, lifting and pulling) the left foot only, while leaving the right foot on/in the pedal. I'm still not sure I could change that habit in a split second if it were necessary. I really should practice both sides.
Old 05-18-21, 06:18 PM
Bruce27

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 66 Posts

Knock on wood I've only had one in the last few decades. Was riding parallel to a side walk and went to get up on it. Made the mistake of just angling over and not popping the front tire over the edge. Slid over like a sack of potatoes.
A subtle moment of lost concentration...
Old 05-19-21, 03:09 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My wife says "it don't hurt until the bone shows"
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 05-19-21, 04:50 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My personal preference is for straps and traps. I’ve been riding with them since the early seventies and I don’t do change very well. I can’t say whether they are better because I’ve never wanted to try the clip thingy on the shoe. I just wear a narrow, flat skate shoe and keep the straps just shy of snug.
Plus 1. Same for me. All but one of my road-ridden bike have toe clips/straps. I tend to keep the right strap a little looser since that is the one I lift/pull out at stoplights - so I can put my right foot on the curb if there is one.

That said, my Miyata 710 has flat MTB-style pedals with pins. They were on the bike when I bought it from a graduating ASU college student. I find that I like them when I'm commuting in my lug-sole work shoes, so they stay for now.
Old 05-19-21, 07:53 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
My wife says "it don't hurt until the bone shows"
Cute.

I didn't even bleed but this hurt like heck. I guess the bone was showing while I was under the knife.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-20-21, 08:48 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Cute.

I didn't even bleed but this hurt like heck. I guess the bone was showing while I was under the knife.

Did they write NO on the left leg?

Old 05-21-21, 10:06 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Did they write NO on the left leg?
They didn't. But they did enough checking to let me know how many people are concerned about the anecdotes they've heard about botched L/R surgeries. I suspect the YES was more for my benefit than theirs, but it was a nice gesture.

FTR: This was 4 months ago and I'm still probably a week away from being able to do easy cycling around the neighborhood... very slow recovery from patella surgery. Pelvis fracture was only 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.