Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bonk vs fatigue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 05:56 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Fiber.
That's funny.

I agree that fiber is useful & beneficial for gut health but not essential for gut "movement". If you consume enough fat, water and *salt* fiber is not needed for the reason I'm guessing you posted it.

That was one of my concerns when I switched my eating habits. Silly really as the Arctic inhabitants who survived so well on basically zero vegetation didn't die-out due to constipation.
Old 07-05-21, 06:12 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
After decades of being a normal cyclist, I was introduced to the world of ultra cycling and randonneuring. 24 hour races and rides longer than 200 miles changed a lot of my thinking about nutrition, hydration, pacing, cramps, and fatigue. I am just one data point, an experiment of one, but I do not believe I'm an exceptional athlete.

What do these words mean: tired, fatigued, bonking, exhaustion? Are they discrete things? What is that tired feeling I get after 30 hard miles, vs the tired feeling after 100? Why do i feel better after 40 miles than I do after five? How is it I can cramp up at 60 miles, but at 80 miles on the same day be rolling at 20mph? How is it i can get up after four hours of sleep and finish a 600k?

What I believe now is fuel trumps fitness, hydration trumps fueling, attitude trumps almost everything, and the need for sleep is what ends rides. My body can burn virtually anything. Food variety is good. Fitness determines speed, but fueling determines distance. Don't think so much, just feed my stomach what it wants. My job on a long ride is to take care of my mind and body.

Bonking? Forget the word. Hydrate, fuel, listen to your body.
Depends on your nutritional training / metabolic predisposition through your day to day eating. I've done up to 200k rides fasted (water+salt), and have also done a lot of long distance riding, both on road and off road.

I think a lot of well trained athletes that rely on typical carb reserves would struggle to complete a 200k fasted, although a lot of audax / endurane athletes would do a lot better. Their ability to utilize fat reserves is simply better adapted than those in your typical group ride on saturday mornings.

I have to admit, on a couple of long rides, I only start to feel warmed up after 150 or 300 kilometers, and then I feel like my legs are finally revitalized, awakened after a long slumber!
Old 07-05-21, 06:16 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Gotta be careful of all the "supplements" people carry on rides. All the sugary gels and calorie-packed energy bars can cause a net positive caloric intake over a ride. People wonder why they aren't losing weight riding all those miles while chowing down on sugar-bombs every 10 miles.
Old 07-05-21, 06:56 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yes, I’m surprised how few people have commented on this. No healthy person should bonk at this sort of distance. I would be visiting my doctor for sure to discuss what was happening.
Is it because nobody thinks OP bonked? It is clearly fatigue he experienced. A run and then a bike ride might have been to much.

A bonk is when your blood sugar is so low that your brain is fried like mush. Fat adapted riders has so many ketone bodies in their bloodstream that they are bonk proof. Unless that 10 miles was straight up a cliff, it is hard to imagine that OP experienced a true bonk. The fact that the title included fatigue means he does not know the difference between the two
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-05-21, 07:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Is it because nobody thinks OP bonked? It is clearly fatigue he experienced. A run and then a bike ride might have been to much.

A bonk is when your blood sugar is so low that your brain is fried like mush. Fat adapted riders has so many ketone bodies in their bloodstream that they are bonk proof. Unless that 10 miles was straight up a cliff, it is hard to imagine that OP experienced a true bonk. The fact that the title included fatigue means he does not know the difference between the two
The OP certainly thought he bonked and a clif bar wouldn't have cured fatigue. The whole of his first post sounds like he has some underlying medical issue that really needs addressing. I'm not a medic, but if I was having those symptoms and basically needed to eat constantly all day to avoid a low sugar feeling I would be calling my GP.
Old 07-05-21, 07:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by pgjackson
Gotta be careful of all the "supplements" people carry on rides. All the sugary gels and calorie-packed energy bars can cause a net positive caloric intake over a ride. People wonder why they aren't losing weight riding all those miles while chowing down on sugar-bombs every 10 miles.
It's actually surprisingly hard to get into a net positive calorie intake while riding, unless you are going very slowly and stopping for meals along the way. It's actually more of a battle to consume enough fuel if you are riding at tempo. I struggle to consume more than about 80-90g carbs per hour (or roughly 500 calories). But I can easily burn more than that. It's different if you are just plodding along. All this talk of 200km rides on water/salt is not going to be happening at any sort of fast pace.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-05-21, 07:32 AM
GhostRider62

The OP certainly thought he bonked and a clif bar wouldn't have cured fatigue. The whole of his first post sounds like he has some underlying medical issue that really needs addressing. I'm not a medic, but if I was having those symptoms and basically needed to eat constantly all day to avoid a low sugar feeling I would be calling my GP.
He said this, "how do i prevent bonk surest way and how do you tell bonk from fatigue (though surely in the above scenario, i definitely bonked because i had no legs left at all, they felt like jellow and no energy like just weak)?
*also , i'm not diabetic, and generally in good health."

No, no legs is not bonking.

I do agree that there is a metabolic issue but it is not clear at all to me that OP bonked. Anyone who needs to constantly snack and eat like that has a problem that is just as likely to be dietary. Sounds to me his high carb diet is a roller coaster ride to type 2 diabetes.

Preventing a bonk is easy. Do a lot of progressively longer zone 2 rides and don't eat on them. Don't snack between meals. Don't eat after dinner. When you break your overnight fast, make sure the morning meal aka break_fast is mostly protein.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-05-21, 08:02 AM
pgjackson

It's actually surprisingly hard to get into a net positive calorie intake while riding, unless you are going very slowly and stopping for meals along the way. It's actually more of a battle to consume enough fuel if you are riding at tempo. I struggle to consume more than about 80-90g carbs per hour (or roughly 500 calories). But I can easily burn more than that. It's different if you are just plodding along. All this talk of 200km rides on water/salt is not going to be happening at any sort of fast pace.
Concur. But you still have to be careful about eating all those high calorie energy sugar-bombs. That stuff adds up over time. They are useful if you are truly hammering away over a long ride. But very few people actually ride like that.
Old 07-05-21, 08:23 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

If you're trying to replace the energy burned while riding, that is not a good strategy, at least according to this, which I found very informative:

https://www.hammernutrition.com/medi...guidetosuccess
Old 07-05-21, 09:10 AM
GhostRider62

80-90 grams of carbs is not roughly 500 calories.

The pace and duration before exhausting muscle glycogen and liver storage that one can ride is highly variable with individual metabolic constraints being the most significant. Long zone 2 rides will trigger AMPK and will eventually do wonderful things for one's insulin and leptin problems and allow one to ride further w/o bonking due to a greater contribution of fat and that includes tempo pace. At around threshold, most of the power is generated from glycogen. Nobody can ride at threshold long enough to deplete glycogen anyway.

For a rider who burns a relatively high percentage of fat, it is not that hard to maintain glycogen levels on longer rides in zone 2. Zone 3 is a bit trickier because muscular fatigue will probably set in before depletion of substrate. Net positive makes no sense unless one starts a ride depleted but if rides are started with the gas tank topped up, the degree and timing of depletion will vary enormously.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-05-21, 09:21 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
80-90 grams of carbs is not roughly 500 calories.
Well a typical energy bar with 40g of carbs has around 250 calories. That’s all I was referring to here.
Old 07-05-21, 09:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by woodcraft
If you're trying to replace the energy burned while riding, that is not a good strategy, at least according to this, which I found very informative:

https://www.hammernutrition.com/medi...guidetosuccess
Well that was my point ie replacing all energy burned while riding is pretty much impossible if you are riding hard, even if you wanted to. So there is really no danger of putting on weight in that way unless you ride really slow and stop for cakes often.
Old 07-05-21, 10:08 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Gonna throw in some power meter data here. Someone may correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m going to guess that a lot of folks have FTPs under 250, so let’s say someone has an ftp of 225, and does an endurance ride at 65%, 146w, that would be 525 calories an hour. At that level, a good portion of calories will come from fat, even if it isn’t as much as in a well trained athlete. At that level, >80g of carbs per hour seems like overkill. This is my n=1 experience, but this past month I did a solo century where I consumed 1100 calories total (60ish grams per hour after the first hour) and expended 4K calories. So I personally have a really hard time imagining scenarios where an average cyclist would be so underfueled and overextended to truly bonk. I know it happens, of course, but as I said in an earlier post in this thread, I think a lot of people think not having anything in the legs equals bonk as opposed to just overextending an effort
Old 07-05-21, 11:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Gonna throw in some power meter data here. Someone may correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m going to guess that a lot of folks have FTPs under 250, so let’s say someone has an ftp of 225, and does an endurance ride at 65%, 146w, that would be 525 calories an hour. At that level, a good portion of calories will come from fat, even if it isn’t as much as in a well trained athlete. At that level, >80g of carbs per hour seems like overkill. This is my n=1 experience, but this past month I did a solo century where I consumed 1100 calories total (60ish grams per hour after the first hour) and expended 4K calories. So I personally have a really hard time imagining scenarios where an average cyclist would be so underfueled and overextended to truly bonk. I know it happens, of course, but as I said in an earlier post in this thread, I think a lot of people think not having anything in the legs equals bonk as opposed to just overextending an effort
I didn't just pluck the 80g carb/hour number out of thin air. It's a very widely recommended amount to consume for a reasonably well trained cyclist. What you have missed in your simplistic calculation is that for every watt you put through the power meter, approx 3 more watts of waste heat are created since your metabolic efficiency is only 25%. So your 146W of pedal power actually requires a total power output of around 584W. I agree totally about not bonking on a simple 10 mile ride. That is just absurd.
Old 07-05-21, 01:03 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I didn't just pluck the 80g carb/hour number out of thin air. It's a very widely recommended amount to consume for a reasonably well trained cyclist. What you have missed in your simplistic calculation is that for every watt you put through the power meter, approx 3 more watts of waste heat are created since your metabolic efficiency is only 25%. So your 146W of pedal power actually requires a total power output of around 584W. I agree totally about not bonking on a simple 10 mile ride. That is just absurd.
wasnt disagreeing on the 80g hour per se, i think a lot of people apply that as a blanket recommendation where I think there’s more nuance.

not sure I entirely agree with the latter part, what you write is true, for all intents and purposes kj reported by a power meter is the same as calories burned because of the whole efficiency factor, as far as I know none of the heat we give off actually has any role in calorie burn.
Old 07-05-21, 01:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
That's funny.

I agree that fiber is useful & beneficial for gut health but not essential for gut "movement". If you consume enough fat, water and *salt* fiber is not needed for the reason I'm guessing you posted it.

That was one of my concerns when I switched my eating habits. Silly really as the Arctic inhabitants who survived so well on basically zero vegetation didn't die-out due to constipation.
this is true with me. because of heath issues I was on a protein only diet for a year and no problems pooping without a lot of fiber. even now I can only eat veggies 3 times a week and no problems. do I do take some fiber pills but it is more to give my bacteria something to eat.
Old 07-05-21, 01:47 PM
woodcraft

Well that was my point ie replacing all energy burned while riding is pretty much impossible if you are riding hard, even if you wanted to. So there is really no danger of putting on weight in that way unless you ride really slow and stop for cakes often.

I think it's common for folks to overestimate the amount of energy used in a bike ride, and with carbo loading the night before, eating a big breakfast, 'fueling' along the way, and a recovery meal after,

it's pretty easy to take in more than what is expended. Just the bars and gels that folks eat on the ride can be more than the energy used.

The point of the Hammer Nutrition piece is, as I take it, for performance to eat the least that you can get away with during an event as digestion takes energy and can cause problems e.g. upset stomach,

and that attempting to finish an athletic event at the same nutritional or water content as the start is misguided.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-05-21, 01:58 PM
pgjackson

I think it's common for folks to overestimate the amount of energy used in a bike ride, and with carbo loading the night before, eating a big breakfast, 'fueling' along the way, and a recovery meal after,

it's pretty easy to take in more than what is expended. Just the bars and gels that folks eat on the ride can be more than the energy used.

The point of the Hammer Nutrition piece is, as I take it, for performance to eat the least that you can get away with during an event as digestion takes energy and can cause problems e.g. upset stomach,

and that attempting to finish an athletic event at the same nutritional or water content as the start is misguided.
Exactly. That was my original point (and would likely explain why there are so many overweight avid cyclists). Bonk/fatigue is likely attributed to simply pushing beyond your physical capabilities. Get in better shape and you might be amazed at how much better your rides are.

Last edited by pgjackson; 07-05-21 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-05-21, 02:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
After riding long distances for over a decade, everything is about eating. The symptom I get from over-exerting myself is cramping. If I'm not cramping and don't feel good, it means I need to eat. Or use my inhalers, but that's a different subject.
Old 07-05-21, 02:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Exactly. That was my original point (and would likely explain why there are so many overweight avid cyclists). Bonk/fatigue is likely attributed to simply pushing beyond your physical capabilities. Get in better shape and you might be amazed at how much better your rides are.
My thinking, based on my own behavior and observations, is that it's not the food you eat while on the bike that's the problem. It's hard - REALLY hard - to eat 90g of carbs an hour while riding. That's one Clif Bar every half hour. I can manage one per 3 hour ride. No, I think the real problem is what you eat OFF the bike. The illusion that you can eat ANYTHING in the first half hour after a ride and not get fat, for example, or that because you're an endurance athlete you can eat anything you want all the time.

I lost 30# last year by riding a lot more, but more importantly, ruthless calorie tracking. It is ASTONISHINGLY easy to more than cover all the calories you burn on a ride, even a hard ride of 3 or 4 hours.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-05-21, 03:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It is ASTONISHINGLY easy to more than cover all the calories you burn on a ride, even a hard ride of 3 or 4 hours.
On my days with rides of 3+ hours, I find it virtually impossible to eat myself out of that caloric deficit. It's always at least a couple thousand calories on top of my base metabolic rate and I'm always missing at least one mealtime while in the saddle, maybe two (often leaving the house early and fasted). That, and I usually don't feel like gorging after a long ride, so it really comes down to a few hundred calories in the saddle, a post-ride snack and then dinner - that ain't adding up to 5k+ calories consumed.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-05-21, 03:44 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
I can maintain 29-30k / hour moving averages on 200k rides fasted. And I'm a firm believer that it has significant carry over enabling 30-31k averages on 600k rides
Old 07-05-21, 03:52 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I lost 30# last year by riding a lot more, but more importantly, ruthless calorie tracking. It is ASTONISHINGLY easy to more than cover all the calories you burn on a ride, even a hard ride of 3 or 4 hours.
To cope/avoid the bonk and fatigue my method calls for caffeine, both during the ride and after.
On a side note I wondered where the term "Americano" (as in coffee) stems from. Apparently the Americans, who liberated part of Italy, couldn't stomach Italian Espresso and needed more water added. True or not, that kind of coffee or a long Espresso, does the trick for me.
Works well for cycling and XC skiing.
Old 07-05-21, 03:53 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by WhyFi
On my days with rides of 3+ hours, I find it virtually impossible to eat myself out of that caloric deficit. It's always at least a couple thousand calories on top of my base metabolic rate and I'm always missing at least one mealtime while in the saddle, maybe two (often leaving the house early and fasted). That, and I usually don't feel like gorging after a long ride, so it really comes down to a few hundred calories in the saddle, a post-ride snack and then dinner - that ain't adding up to 5k+ calories consumed.

So you figure that you use up a days caloric intake in 1 1/2 or 2 hours? Yikes.
Old 07-05-21, 03:55 PM
PeteHski

Who suggested doing that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.