Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

My 1st bicycle purchase was a......

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-27-18, 08:03 AM
EaglesFan1227

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...well, nothing. Ever. I'd like to change that! After a road trip with my girlfriend this past weekend, we talked about buying our first set of bikes. After speaking with a local shop and doing a quick search online, I am a bit conflicted as to what to buy. We won't be using them for anything too serious; our travels consist of road, a gravel toe-path and occasionally sand (At [not necessarily on] the beach). I have ridden both flat and road handlebars and I prefer flat (For now. Maybe I'll make the switch as I become more comfortable with riding). A coworker has a Baum and it shifts insanely quick/smooth! But again, road handlebars. I just like the smoothness of the bike compared to my hand-me-down Trek (Which, granted, has sat in salt air at the beach/has not been maintained). Regardless, I do appreciate quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 6'2", 200lbs guy?

The guy at the bike shop recommended the Trek FX Sport 6; he just sold his last one so I could not give it a spin.

Thanks!!
Old 08-27-18, 08:17 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Get something cheap and used that fits you, and ride that around while you think about what you REALLY need and want. Just get on something and ride it, that's the important thing.

Just think how many people have gotten bogged down in all the details, procrastinated, and ultimately never bought anything. There are probably millions of them out there, poor SOB's.

Don't end up that way, please.

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 08-27-18 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-27-18, 08:53 AM
EaglesFan1227

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Get something cheap and used that fits you, and ride that around while you think about what you REALLY need and want. Just get on something and ride it, that's the important thing.

Just think how many people have gotten bogged down in all the details, procrastinated, and ultimately never bought anything. There are probably millions of them out there, poor SOB's.

Don't end up that way, please.
Thanks! After riding my 10 year old [hand-me-down] Trek, I just know that I want something that is 1) smooth and 2) going to last (Is reliable). In terms of specs, I don't really know the differences and hope to learn them as I become more familiar. But, with that said, I'd like to make one purchase rather than buying used, seeing what I like, buying something else so on and so forth - that just equates to time and money, in my opinion. I'll probably buy a bike within the next month (Whenever I find the time). Just looking for some starter suggestions.

And people don't buy anything? That just doesn't make sense...

Last edited by EaglesFan1227; 08-27-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-27-18, 09:16 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
You need to go test riding various bikes from a variety of different LBS's to really get a good feel on what you like, fits you and what makes you happy.

I'm betting even some of the least expensive bikes will seem like an improvement to an older bike that may not have been adjusted or may not make you happy.

If you are considering the Trek FX Sport 6, that tells me you have a high budget price. Check out Giant, Specialized, Marin, Scott....etc....there are a lot of good bikes out there.
Old 08-27-18, 09:19 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I would ride a lot of bikes, as many as you can try, and keep your mind completely open about the type of bike. To stick with the Trek brand just as an example, their FX line is awfully varied. You can buy something for as little as about $500 or one costing many thousands of dollars. They'll ride similarly, though the nicer bikes will have nicer components. Will that make a practical difference in your case? That'd be hard for us to know. We don't know your location, and you haven't mentioned hills. Not sure if you live near the beach (mostly flat) or if you travel there often and might also ride where there are hills. Trek also make the DS (Dual Sport) line of bikes, with front suspension forks. Trek also make the Verve, which is more of a comfort-oriented model line. Each of these has specific advantages and disadvantages. Ride them all to see what you like the best.

I think the point that "Colnago Mixte" is making is that it's hard to buy for the future, not yet knowing what you may grow into. If you think you'll grow into drop bars, just buy a drop bar bike at the onset, and learn to like it, right? I say that somewhat in jest, but it is indeed hard to know what you'll end up preferring, or growing in to. You may buy a cheap bike (new or used) today, decide two years from now that you want an expensive drop bar bike, and go do it. You may also buy a pretty expensive bike today (like an FX Sport 6) and still decide two years from now that you want an expensive drop bar bike.

Go in knowing that your desires may change. They almost certainly will, given this is your first new bike purchase. Given that, I'm not sure that I'd start out with a $2,000 carbon fiber bike as my first new bike, only because you've said it clearly enough that you're not sure what you really want. To your desires of "smooth" and "going to last", a $500 Trek FX 2 certainly meets that criteria. Or consider the FX 3 ($660 with rim brakes and $780 with disc brakes). The FX 3 has a carbon fiber fork, which may give you a more compliant ride. Definitely ride them though -- check out Treks, Giants, Specializeds, Cannondales, Fujis, Jamises, etc. Anything you can test ride will add more knowledge to your bank, and may help you target what you really want before making a financial commitment.

Welcome!
Old 08-27-18, 10:34 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
One place you might look is REI, which has a fairly substantial sale going on through Labor Day. They also have a fairly liberal return policy, though I can't quote you what it is. Nothing wrong with Trek and the other brands already mentioned, but you may find a value purchase at REI with a Cannondale, Diamondback or a store brand, 15-20% off. Take note of the type of brakes (rim or disc, mechanical or hydraulic), if gear ranges are sufficient for where you will ride, etc, when you compare one bike to another. Most of all, make sure the bike fits you and is comfortable. The most fantastic components or sale price won't compensate for a bike that is too large or small.
Old 08-27-18, 10:42 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EaglesFan1227
……. After a road trip with my girlfriend this past weekend, we talked about buying our first set of bikes.
Life changes so quickly... it can be hard if you're pinned down to just one. Be sure to shop around A LOT. IMHO... it's always best to put off making that commitment for as long as possible.

Now.... about buying a bicycle....