Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

​​​​​​​A worthwhile addition to a repair kit?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

​​​​​​​A worthwhile addition to a repair kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 08:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
If you have the chain breaker tool, you could just remove the bad link, and reunite the ends of the chain. One link shorter, yes, but probably good enough to get you home. Once upon a time, those handy, removable links didn't even exist.
Yup. But given that a quick link takes up almost no space and weighs next to nothing, it's probably worth throwing one in the pack.
Old 11-17-20, 08:47 PM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I would just get the Connex quick link and use it on the OPs chain he has on there now. No need to run the Connex chain if he doesn't want to.

The great thing about the Connex link is that you do not need tools, so if you are broken down on a trail it is much more convenient.
Think I will pick up this Connex. They make a link for a 7-speed, which is what I ride. Though I would like to learn how to use the chain tool on my multi-tool one day. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
Old 11-17-20, 10:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I would just get the Connex quick link and use it on the OPs chain he has on there now. No need to run the Connex chain if he doesn't want to.

The great thing about the Connex link is that you do not need tools, so if you are broken down on a trail it is much more convenient.

Yes, but a broken chain can often only be fixed (put back in good enough shape to use the Connex link) with a chain tool. The chain tool itself is more important than a quick link.
Old 11-18-20, 08:09 AM
mikeread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I always keep one link in my repair kit and also a couple of used/worn ones from old chains.

I cannot remember last time I broke a chain myself but I regularly hand out the old links to others who have.

Always carry a small bottle of oil too for that rider who is experimenting with dry lubes and hasn't found out how rubbish they are yet
Old 11-18-20, 08:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Yes, but a broken chain can often only be fixed (put back in good enough shape to use the Connex link) with a chain tool. The chain tool itself is more important than a quick link.
Sometimes this is true .... a person above mentioned that s/he could get the pin out of the bent link .... maybe pliers and much determination? But sometimes that bends the link ....

Another poster mentioned just using the chain tool ... but it can be difficult to get the pin all the way clear of the inner link and still secure enough in the outer plate that you can try to drive it back through. I got stuck one time (so that is actually Four times I have broken a chain--I just recalled.) It was Christmas even and my wife had invited a friend for dinner. I needed to get in a quick ride---well, I Really wanted to---ad I planned it so I would have just enough time do the ride and clean up to be ready for our guest.

My chain snapped about a mile from home---in the dark, on a road with no shoulder, verged by grass calf-high. Perfect location to mess with a mechanical.

This wouldn't have been a problem except that it was a brand-new Shimano chain, which came with extra snap-off ins, not quick connectors. And since it was new, I didn't bother adding quick links to the saddle bag.

Maybe I should have just walked, but I decided to fix the chain---which got Exceedingly sketchy when the pin popped out. I managed to catch it in my hand and miraculously, through half a dozen attempts, never dropped it---had I dropped it it would have been gone from this universe, effectively. But trying to drive that pin back into place was as severe a test of care and patience as I would ever want to face. The slightest misalignment made the pin lean instead of penetrating ....

As it ended up, I rolled home 45 minutes late and covered with grease, while my wife spent 45 minutes entertaining our guest and containing her boiling hatred at me for sticking her like that.

After that I always made sure to have quick links on All my bikes.
Likes For Maelochs: