Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Norway

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Norway

Old 05-26-21, 09:57 AM
ossemann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Norway

Hi!

I'm a 33 y.o. bike rider living in Oslo. I have a run-of-the-mill hybrid bike that I ride the short distance to work with year-round (and it's starting to show). It can be pretty fun riding with studded tires! I have thought about installing drop bars on it, but I haven't found a way to do that which doesn't make me think "I could just buy a gravel bike for this much money". Also I haven't found a group set for drop bars that works with 3x9 gears and disc brakes.

I also have a too-high-end-for-me road bike that I use for exercise and longer rides in my spare time, which unfortunately has been a pain in the butt recently (admittedly part of the reason I've signed up here). I've participated in the 168 km Bergen-Voss sportive four times which I really enjoyed (To the locals who know what I'm talking about: I promise the scenery is muuuch prettier than Lillehammer-Oslo ) but haven't participated in that or similar events yet since I moved here.

I'm considering buying some sort of mountain bike, but haven't looked into it very much. Not sure if I have the room for it.

That's me!

Øsse
Old 05-26-21, 11:17 AM
GenesGrnMachine

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome!

I skipped the 3x9 setup, had a mountain bike with 3x8 for 10 years, then the 3x10’s were just coming out so jumped on that.

There’s always room for 1 more bike! I can’t talk though, down to just 2 that are officially mine (we have 3 others my wife and daughter ride).

Gene
Old 05-26-21, 12:20 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Hey Osse!
When did you move to Oslo and where from?
Old 05-27-21, 02:39 AM
ossemann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GenesGrnMachine
Welcome!

I skipped the 3x9 setup, had a mountain bike with 3x8 for 10 years, then the 3x10’s were just coming out so jumped on that.

There’s always room for 1 more bike! I can’t talk though, down to just 2 that are officially mine (we have 3 others my wife and daughter ride).

Gene
Thanks!

I have no emotional attachment to 3x9 , but that's what's on the bike already. I was hoping to buy drop handlebars and then whatever levers that would work with the existing brakes (tektro hydraulic disc) and drivetrain/derailleurs (shimano... deore?) but I cannot find any. Switching to a 3x10 or 2x11 or whatever is of course doable but imho. prohibitively expensive compared to simply buying a new bike.

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Hey Osse!
When did you move to Oslo and where from?
I moved to Oslo in July 2018, from Bergen. I was a student elsewhere and when I was done studying I wanted to move, for no particular reason, really. Ended up back home. There I met my now-fiancee who's not from Oslo but pretty close. Two years later she was done studying. And she wanted to move more than I wanted to stay, so...
Old 05-27-21, 09:10 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by ossemann
Thanks!

I have no emotional attachment to 3x9 , but that's what's on the bike already. I was hoping to buy drop handlebars and then whatever levers that would work with the existing brakes (tektro hydraulic disc) and drivetrain/derailleurs (shimano... deore?) but I cannot find any. Switching to a 3x10 or 2x11 or whatever is of course doable but imho. prohibitively expensive compared to simply buying a new bike.

I moved to Oslo in July 2018, from Bergen. I was a student elsewhere and when I was done studying I wanted to move, for no particular reason, really. Ended up back home. There I met my now-fiancee who's not from Oslo but pretty close. Two years later she was done studying. And she wanted to move more than I wanted to stay, so...
Cool cool. My family is originally from Drammen Norway, and I was lucky enough to visit back in '95. There's still a farm/historical site in Drammen called Gulskogen Manor with all sorts of phots of my family from 1805; https://drammens.museum.no/arena/gulskogen-gard/