Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire nasties

Old 07-03-21, 02:20 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It's amazing how much cleaner country roads are. I'm from DFW and also lived in Oahu, New Jersey, El Paso, ect. In the city punctures are a regular thing, El Paso was the worst with the wind blowing all kinds of junk from the desert onto the roads. In 2014 I moved to the middle of nowhere North Carolina. My town doesn't even have a stoplight and if you call 911 it takes the police about 45 minutes to show up. I think I've got a total of 4-5 flats in the last seven years and most were slow leaks I didn't notice until the next day. And I ride almost every day.

But I have zero riding buddies. That pretty much blows.
Old 07-03-21, 04:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Traffic count anchors are no fun either:
I mark ‘em when I find ‘em.
Do they reuse those, or are they simply left in the road as road trash?

I think I'd bring a hammer or crowbar, and either pull them out, or pound them in.

Perhaps also send a note to the local government.

I've seen those rubber strips for counting, but have never seen nails left behind sticking out like that.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-03-21, 05:13 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Do they reuse those, or are they simply left in the road as road trash?
Reused.
Old 07-04-21, 09:32 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Bendopolo,

I'm glad I'm not the only one that picks up nails, screws and shards off the road. I only do it at traffic lights and stop signs though. A few years ago I had a driver pull up next to me, roll down his window and said, "You're the only cyclist I've seen that does that, good job!". Made my day. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Changing attitudes and pre-conceptions one driver and one rider at at time.....
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-07-21, 10:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nursing one right now. nice little one. in the tread, on the surface. but kinda near the side. not sure a shop will want to repair it. no leakage. thinking about leaving it in there, but that would be a 1st for me. it's just a tiny dot of metal showing. the head, if it had one, has worn off. so curious to know how long it is tho! just bought 5 brand new tires in April. thinking about buying 2 new ones for the front & keeping the non damaged one in the basement ... maybe after vacation in July ...

I had one like this in my truck tire for over 2 years. Never leaked, it eventually shaved the head off and stayed sealed. I eventually needed new tires, and the guy was amazed that it never leaked.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-07-21, 11:40 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I had one like this in my truck tire for over 2 years. Never leaked, it eventually shaved the head off and stayed sealed. I eventually needed new tires, and the guy was amazed that it never leaked.
When you have things in tires like that, you wonder what is best to do. Maybe it fits so tightly it will never leak. But maybe it has not penetrated the entire thickness of the tire yet, and when it does it will leak. I have often repaired them, rather than risk having a flat tire at an inconvenient time.
Old 07-08-21, 04:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
rather than risk having a flat tire at an inconvenient time.
thoroughly checked my Daughter's tires (&showed her how to) before her solo 1,500 mile round tripper last week. she even checked her own oil before heading back from her destination. her girlfriend was impressed. shudda seen her proud smile when she told us at dinner. & when her girlfriend's fiancé cut his finger cooking, she whipped out her first aid kit from her car, to stop the bleeding. love her to bits