Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1991 Trek 750: Modern replacement shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-21, 02:03 PM
fjacquette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Greetings,
Way back in 1991, my trusty old Trek 750 hybrid came with drop handlebars fitted with Suntour Xpress Power Control trigger shifters. After 30 years my right shifter finally had enough and the shell cracked, so I'm looking to replace it.
The shifters are mounted below the main part of the bar, and I'd prefer to keep the same configuration rather than move to something like brifters. Any suggestions for a reasonable replacement shifter or set? It's a 3x7 gear configuration.
Thanks!
Old 09-19-21, 02:14 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by fjacquette
Greetings,
Way back in 1991, my trusty old Trek 750 hybrid came with drop handlebars fitted with Suntour Xpress Power Control trigger shifters. After 30 years my right shifter finally had enough and the shell cracked, so I'm looking to replace it.
The shifters are mounted below the main part of the bar, and I'd prefer to keep the same configuration rather than move to something like brifters. Any suggestions for a reasonable replacement shifter or set? It's a 3x7 gear configuration.
Thanks!
I doubt that there's anything other than those shifters that will index with a Suntour MTB drivetrain. Suntour indexing was weird.

Fiction thumbshifters or a long and expensive ebay search for NOS shifters are probably your only options.

--Shannon
Old 09-19-21, 02:22 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
My 750 had flat bars and shifters as you describe. I think I’d go friction bar ends from Rivendell for your drop bars or thumb shifters for other bars.
Old 09-19-21, 08:15 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
If it's a freewheel rear hub, you could throw a modern 7 or 8spd freewheel on, virtually any Shimano rear derailleur and run Sensah STIs.
Old 09-19-21, 08:54 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Suntour freehub on my '91 750 (unfortunately).
Old 09-19-21, 09:22 PM
2wheelbuzz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Suntour 7 speed cassettes and freewheels are spaced the same as Shimano 7 speed index freewheels and cassettes, so Shimano or Shimano compatible 7 speed index shifters will work with your 7 speed system. I have a Trek T50 tandem that came new with a Suntour 7 speed cassette and Shimano Deore 7 speed index thumb shifters, index shifting works great.

2wheelbuzz
Old 09-19-21, 09:26 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
If it’s anything like my ‘90 750 was, it should’ve come with a flat bar with those Suntour trigger shifters. You can verify specifics in that year’s catalog on the vintage-trek website.

My rear hub has a Suntour alpha 7-speed freewheel. If yours is the same, you could try and locate a Suntour accushift 7-speed shifter (either trigger, or a pair of bar end shifters), but those will be tough to find.

Alternatively, as others have mentioned, you could switch the freewheel to a shimano-compatible 7-speed, replace the rear derailleur with a suitable shimano, and a plethora of shifter choices will open up.

Those early trek hybrid frames were something else— lugged and tru-temper chromoly, made in USA. The 750 and 790 (latter only made in ‘90 and ‘92) have identical frames. The perfect gravel touring frames IMHO. The original wheelset was utterly bomb proof and fantastic— never give them up! Keep them tru-ed and bearings greased, and easily travel to the ends of the earth! <pardon the digression>

Last edited by panzerwagon; 09-19-21 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 09:31 AM
fjacquette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you all. I was able to find just the right shifter NOS for a not unreasonable price, so I'll go with that.

I confirmed that the drive train is labeled as Suntour XCE and it's all in good shape, so I'll hold off on swapping in a Shimano drivetrain for now.

And yes, the bike has been durable as hell despite regular use, so it may very well outlast me.
Likes For fjacquette: