Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I got a tax refund - which wheelset is the best bang for the buck?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-25-22, 07:34 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts

Looking to get a quality set of light(er) wheels for my 2001 Cannondale R1000 Caad4 rebuild. Can't break the bank, but I'd like something better than I can go get off the shelf at my local shop - which would probably be something like a set of Mavic CXP Elites, or the like. Good wheels, but I can do better.

Lots of wheelsets are still sold out, but I was bouncing around on Velomine and came across the following. Would love some input on what y'all think would be the best bang for the buck.

Mavic Open Pros with 105 hubs: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=2743
Mavic Open Pros with Miche hubs: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=6404
H plus Son Archetypes with DT Swiis hubs: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=5988 (not sure what the Campy note on this one means)
H plus Son Archetypes with Mibhe hubs: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=6290

I'm also open to other brands/combos.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-22, 10:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
... (not sure what the Campy note on this one means) ...
It means that the rear wheel has a freehub body designed for a Campagnolo cassette, which would not fit a Shimano or SRAM cassette.
Old 04-25-22, 10:41 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
It means that the rear wheel has a freehub body designed for a Campagnolo cassette, which would not fit a Shimano or SRAM cassette.
ah ok well nix that one then because I’m getting a 105 cassette.
Old 04-25-22, 10:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Compare to those you have listed above, these are quite a bit lighter.

DT Swiss PR 1600 Spline Road Wheels | The Colorado Cyclist
Old 04-25-22, 10:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

And if you are set on Shimano 105 R7000 hubs and 32 spokes/wheel, here are more rim options:

Custom Road Bike Wheelsets 700c | The Colorado Cyclist

I like the 19.5 mm wide Easton R90SL rims (assuming your brake calipers could clear them).
Old 04-25-22, 10:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Compare to those you have listed above, these are quite a bit lighter.

DT Swiss PR 1600 Spline Road Wheels | The Colorado Cyclist
Guess I should have mentioned my budget is ~$400. Also I don’t need wider rims, the frame will only accommodate a 700x25/26 tire max.
Old 04-25-22, 11:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Guess I should have mentioned my budget is ~$400.
All of the wheelsets built using Shimano 105 R7000 hubs (by Colorado Cyclist) are < $400 (with 10% off code):

Shimano 105 Wheelsets | The Colorado Cyclist

Also I don’t need wider rims, the frame will only accommodate a 700x25/26 tire max.
Well, in that case, I should note that the first two wheelsets you linked in your first post appear to use different Mavic Pro rims:

The first wheelset appears to use Open Pro Clincher | Mavic which has an internal width of 15 mm;
The second wheelset expressly uses Open Pro UST | Mavic which has an internal width of 19 mm.

4 mm is a significant difference in internal width. The same 25 mm tire becomes noticeably wider when mounted on a rim with a wider internal width.

What is the internal width of the wheels which are currently on the bike? How much clearance is there between the tire and the forks, chain stays, or seat stays?
Old 04-25-22, 11:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

the sci guy If you are looking for wheels for this bike (Bike Forums - View Single Post - The Cult of CAAD...), it seems simple enough to borrow some rim brake wheels (with known specs) from your other bikes and/or friends for a test fit.
Old 04-26-22, 06:19 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
The right answer is going to the European sites and finding the best price you can for a set of Campagnolo Zonda's or Fulcrum Racing 3's! If you wait around a month or so and keep checking someone will put them on sale. I've probably picked up 1/2 dozen sets over the years in the $300+ range. Light and bulletproof.

As an example:

https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-zonda-c17-wheelset
Old 04-26-22, 06:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
The right answer is going to the European sites and finding the best price you can for a set of Campagnolo Zonda's or Fulcrum Racing 3's! If you wait around a month or so and keep checking someone will put them on sale. I've probably picked up 1/2 dozen sets over the years in the $300+ range. Light and bulletproof.

As an example:

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing; at $290 (at ProBikeKit.com), the Campagnolo Scirocco are less expensive, lighter, and more aero than any of the Velomine selections, of which, only the Mavic OP UST are even worth looking at, IMO. Moving up the Campy/Fulcrum price range the weights drop more.

Another great looking option are the $369 Novatec Jetfly u4.0, which are 20mm internal, 32mm deep, and weighing in around 1600g:

https://www.novatecusa.net/product/j...clincher-u4-0/

Ah, they look out of stock at Novatec, but I’d check around the web. Apparently PBK, according to reviews on their product page, is shipping the u4s despite the listing showing U2 specs; I’d call and confirm.
Old 04-26-22, 07:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...0-sl-rims-700c
-or-
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...-411-rims-700c
-or-
https://www.wiggle.com/fulcrum-racin...-road-wheelset
-or-
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../11365367.html

Note that the ColoradoCyclist wheelsets are currently 10% off with a displayed code. So take that into account.
Between these 4 wheelsets, you have some deeper section aluminum(30-32) rims, some shallower rims, tubeless offerings, high spoke count, lower spoke count, and a 300g weight range. Based on the variety, one of em should work for what you are looking for.
Old 04-26-22, 07:24 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
What's the budget? CF or alloy?
Old 04-26-22, 07:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
what's the budget? Cf or alloy?
<$400
Old 04-26-22, 10:12 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by jamesdak
The right answer is going to the European sites and finding the best price you can for a set of Campagnolo Zonda's or Fulcrum Racing 3's!

I was under the impression that the sci guy wants handbuilt wheels, but this is the best suggestion so far. And at 17 mm internal width, not likely to have a clearance issue with his frame.

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing; at $290 (at ProBikeKit.com), the Campagnolo Scirocco are less expensive, lighter, and more aero than any of the Velomine selections, ...
True, but at the sci guy's price range, Campagnolo Zondas are much lighter than Sciroccos:

Campagnolo Zonda C17 Road Clincher Wheelset | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com) ($415, 1,540 g)
Campagnolo Scirocco C17 Road Wheelset | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com) ($348, 1,955 g)

Also, probikekit.com collects sales tax, but Chain Reaction Cycle / Wiggle does not.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 04-26-22 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-26-22, 10:31 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Go to www.prowheelbuilder.com, they have house wheels as well as custom options. I have a set of the Archetypes built with Sapim Race spokes laced to Bitax hubs from them. A bit over your target budget, but they are outstanding wheels. They have many narrower rim options as well.
Likes For mprince:
Old 04-26-22, 10:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

I was under the impression that the sci guy wants handbuilt wheels, but this is the best suggestion so far. And at 17 mm internal width, not likely to have a clearance issue with his frame.

True, but at the sci guy's price range, Campagnolo Zondas are much lighter than Sciroccos:

Campagnolo Zonda C17 Road Clincher Wheelset | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com) ($415, 1,540 g)
Campagnolo Scirocco C17 Road Wheelset | Chain Reaction (chainreactioncycles.com) ($348, 1,955 g)

Also, probikekit.com collects sales tax, but Chain Reaction Cycle / Wiggle does not.
Good note regarding sales tax, but Campagnolo lists Scirocco weight at 1,755g, not 1,955, and even with sales tax, say in the 6% range, they’d be $312 from PBK. I’m not saying don’t buy Zondas, only that if $400 is top of the budget, Zondas are over and Sciroccos well under.

In any case, I would not pay the premium for any of those Velomine options as being “handbuilt” does not confer any benefits, let alone offset the advantages of lower weight, better aero, and cost reduction available in the Campy wheels.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-26-22, 11:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Three years ago I bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs. Since they're tubeless they are lighter, quicker, and more comfortable than my Mavic Ksyrium Elite clinchers. The set with tires cost me $400. Three years with zero flats.
Old 04-26-22, 11:41 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by bruce19
Three years ago I bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs. Since they're tubeless they are lighter, quicker, and more comfortable than my Mavic Ksyrium Elite clinchers. The set with tires cost me $400. Three years with zero flats.
An excellent wheelset at a great price! I bought the prior version Mavic Ksyrium Elite WTS for $450 (+$25 shipping) in late 2017 when the newer UST version was introduced. But it is now pretty hard to find either version in new condition.
Old 04-26-22, 04:18 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

there's too many posts to individually quote and respond to since my last post, but wow thanks to the bunch of you with suggestions. Gave me a lot of other options to consider. $400 was really going to be the top of my budget, and those Zondas are real nice and what's $15 more, right? But then tack on shipping and stuff I'm not sure it might be too much.

The set of WH-7700 Dura-Ace wheels that came off the exact same frame I found for a buddy of mine, weighed in at 1,900 grams.
The Mavic Open Pros that came off THIS bike (in a burnt orange color!) are from 2000/2001 era, have a 15mm width (reads 622x15 on the sticker) and weigh 1850g.
(I'm upgrading to modern 105, so I don't believe an 11spd cassette would fit on that hub - plus I want new wheels anyway)

To answer a few random Q's I saw above:
-No, they don't have to be "handmade", I was just looking for something a little nicer than typical bike shop cheap fare
-no carbon
-i prefer lower profile wheels - i don't care for the deeper dish racing wheels
-i'm not a weight weenie and this bike won't be raced, it's for long days in the saddle, but also quick spirited group rides.
-the frame fork and chainstays could easily take 700x28 tires, but the bolt bubble on the rear brake bridge is low and rubs on any tires with a higher volume than 25/26mm. I even tried a 700x28 on a slightly wider rim, but it didn't work - but that was with my buddy's Dura Ace wheels I mentioned above. I wouldn't mind trying again with some 17mm wide rims with the 28s I have hanging in my garage though. But I'm pretty much resigned to having to get a set of 25s or 26s. Is it still true that Pasaleas run a little larger? Because that's what I have so maybe a 700x28 in a Kenda or a another brand would fit?
Old 04-26-22, 04:39 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
$400 was really going to be the top of my budget, and those Zondas are real nice and what's $15 more, right? But then tack on shipping and stuff I'm not sure it might be too much
$415 for Zondas with free shipping to the U.S. from Chain Reaction or Wiggle.
Old 04-26-22, 05:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The Mavic Open Pros that came off THIS bike (in a burnt orange color!) are from 2000/2001 era, have a 15mm width (reads 622x15 on the sticker) and weigh 1850g.
... but the bolt bubble on the rear brake bridge is low and rubs on any tires with a higher volume than 25/26mm.
The rubbing with a tire with a greater volume than 25 mm or 26 mm, is that happening with the 622 x 15C wheel?

I even tried a 700x28 on a slightly wider rim, but it didn't work - but that was with my buddy's Dura Ace wheels I mentioned above.
You should not have expected the above to work. Either a wider wheel or a wider tire alone increases tire volume, both together would have increased tire volume by even more. Probably the best you can hope for is a 25 mm tire on a 622 x 17C wheel.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-26-22, 06:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

there's too many posts to individually quote and respond to since my last post, but wow thanks to the bunch of you with suggestions. Gave me a lot of other options to consider. $400 was really going to be the top of my budget, and those Zondas are real nice and what's $15 more, right? But then tack on shipping and stuff I'm not sure it might be too much.

The set of WH-7700 Dura-Ace wheels that came off the exact same frame I found for a buddy of mine, weighed in at 1,900 grams.
(I'm upgrading to modern 105, so I don't believe an 11spd cassette would fit on that hub - plus I want new wheels anyway)

To answer a few random Q's I saw above:
-No, they don't have to be "handmade", I was just looking for something a little nicer than typical bike shop cheap fare
-no carbon
-i prefer lower profile wheels - i don't care for the deeper dish racing wheels
-i'm not a weight weenie and this bike won't be raced, it's for long days in the saddle, but also quick spirited group rides.
-the frame fork and chainstays could easily take 700x28 tires, but the bolt bubble on the rear brake bridge is low and rubs on any tires with a higher volume than 25/26mm. I even tried a 700x28 on a slightly wider rim, but it didn't work - but that was with my buddy's Dura Ace wheels I mentioned above. I wouldn't mind trying again with some 17mm wide rims with the 28s I have hanging in my garage though. But I'm pretty much resigned to having to get a set of 25s or 26s. Is it still true that Pasaleas run a little larger? Because that's what I have so maybe a 700x28 in a Kenda or a another brand would fit?
So what do you want out of these wheels, then? What’s the point of paying $400 or even $300 if you don’t care about aero or weight? What is going to make any wheelset “nicer” than another?

You can grab a pair of 16mm high, 18mm internal width Sun CR18/Tiagra wheels from Handsome Cycles for $230: https://handsomecycles.com/products/...-hub-black-36h

Tiagra hubs are sealed and adjustable as 105, so I don’t think there’s any tradeoff there, and the CR18 is as venerable as they come, but laced up 36 spoke, they should be extremely reliable.

I run the polished version of this wheelset on one of my bikes, and have 25c rubber on them. Handsome built them very well insofar as I can tell, and the 25s fit snug and tight to the brake wall; looking down at the wheel, the tire does not protrude past the rim at all, which I think is a sweet look and makes the handling super responsive.

Polished Sun CR18 rims w/ 25c AC Torchbearer tires
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-26-22, 06:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

So what do you want out of these wheels, then?
From the above posts by the sci guy in this thread, it seems (to me) that he wants a tire and wheel combo that is wider and has more air volume than a 25 mm tire on an ETRTO 622 x 15C wheel?
Old 04-26-22, 07:31 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

So what do you want out of these wheels, then? What’s the point of paying $400 or even $300 if you don’t care about aero or weight? What is going to make any wheelset “nicer” than another?

You can grab a pair of 16mm high, 18mm internal width Sun CR18/Tiagra wheels from Handsome Cycles for $230: https://handsomecycles.com/products/...-hub-black-36h

Tiagra hubs are sealed and adjustable as 105, so I don’t think there’s any tradeoff there, and the CR18 is as venerable as they come, but laced up 36 spoke, they should be extremely reliable.
From the above posts by the sci guy in this thread, it seems (to me) that he wants a tire and wheel combo that is wider and has more air volume than a 25 mm tire on an ETRTO 622 x 15C wheel?
chaadster I don't care about aero or weight insomuch as I'm not a racer. Am I building up a frame I've been searching for for 2+ years and do I want it to be a kick ass, quick, hot bike? Yes.
SoSmellyAir I'd love to run 28s but I just don't think its possible. That was something I was just bringing up because someone above had mentioned getting 19mm wheels, etc. 15 or 17 should be fine, or whichever you think would be best with a 700x25 tire. And yes, that post you found in the other thread is the bike.
Old 04-26-22, 07:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Also I don’t need wider rims, the frame will only accommodate a 700x25/26 tire max.
Well I’m quite confused…. As you noted above, growing internal width up from an old 622x15c which has an IW of like 13.6mm to something like a 19mm IW Open Pro will increase the tire height, and if clearance is an issue with a 25mm tire on the old rims, gaining volume and width is going to be more about luck than a wheelset being nicer. It also seems like a compelling argument to go with a less expensive, narrower IW wheelset, because it’s going to take money to find out which tires maximize volume without hitting the brake bridge and because, from a comfort perspective, if a 25mm tire on a 19mm IW rim is too big and the OP needs to go to 23mm rubber, there would probably compromises to ride comfort in stretching that tire size on that IW dimension. I mean, I think I’d rather have a little more sidewall laxity as provided by a higher tire-width-to-rim-width ratio for doing “long days in the saddle.”

For the OP, the following graphic, which I believe was originally posted by HED in a blog post, shows the concept SoSmellyAir brought up with regards to tire height vis a vis IW:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.