Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why do Mormons ride MTBs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why do Mormons ride MTBs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 12:15 PM
markmontana
senior earthling

Bikes: changes often

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back in the early 70's, we (missionaries) could choose our own bikes. An old timer gave me a nice Peugeot. Rode it for a few months and it was stolen, somebody else then gave me a Gitane. I just passed it on the the next guy that replaced me. Wish I still had both those classics.

I think the MTB concept makes sense- the bikes have to be useable for a wide variety of skill levels and body sizes. Some locations also have rugged terrain, I was in the SF Bay area and some hills were brutal.
Likes For markmontana:
Old 08-12-10, 12:17 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In 1980 I worked with a Mormon who wasn't on a mission, but was going to be. I forget what bike he bought, but it was a couple of thousand dollars worth of road bike, and those were 1980 dollars.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-12-10, 12:19 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by John Montgomery
...They don't ride single speeds due to their penchant for polygamy.
Neither true, nor appropriate for discussion in this forum. It's about the bikes, or the thread risks being moved to P&R.
Old 08-12-10, 12:32 PM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=KonAaron Snake;11278195]
Originally Posted by BrianEugene
haha...nice

How many?[/QUOTE]

Dude...I don't know, but did you see Polvo play last night?

Drum roll.
Old 08-12-10, 01:26 PM
7/8timing

Bikes: 80' Zullo track bike,84 Lotus Legend,91' Nishiki Prestige,91' Fuji sundance

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they don't all ride MTB's...

seems alot of mods are on their toes on this thread.
Old 08-12-10, 01:37 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Neither true, nor appropriate for discussion in this forum. It's about the bikes, or the thread risks being moved to P&R.
Agreed.

I was aware of the risk when I started the thread, but it was a serious thought. Next time one of these fellas knocks on my door I'm going to try and convince him to trade his MTB for a vintage lightweight. I genuinely think that in my neck of the woods a missionary would be better served on a road bike. But what's more important, they're just cooler than your run of the mill MTB.
Old 08-12-10, 01:40 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by 7/8timing

I don't ride a fixed gear bike, but I do intend to set a bike up fixed soon. Can someone explain the foam on the top tube in this picture? Why is that necessary?
Old 08-12-10, 01:47 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I can't see the photo at work, but most foam around the tt is to prevent scratching and damage when the bike is locked up.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 08-12-10, 01:49 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I can't see the photo at work, but most foam around the tt is to prevent scratching and damage when the bike is locked up.
I see. If that's the case I think scratches look better than those hideous things.

Last edited by CbadRider; 08-12-10 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Deleted quoted post.
Old 08-12-10, 01:54 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I assumed the foam was for protection like on BMX bikes, so they could grow up to make little baby Mormons.
Old 08-12-10, 01:54 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I were a missionary I'd choose a mountain bike because there are so many repair items available at nearly any department store.

Brad
Old 08-12-10, 03:01 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I like the gearing on MTBs better. I've put MTB gearing on most of my road bikes, but then I'm a Unitarian.
The Jews around here use road bikes. We have a huge Hassidic population, with the big hats, long black jackets and curly forlocks.
I don't know any of them personally but I have mingled in the Mexican social circles. There's a lot of them on the other side of our neighborhood. They have a real knack for finding old hardtail MTBs. There's an old Stumpjumper that's even my size locked up outside the mercado usually.
Old 08-12-10, 03:12 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 7/8timing

seems alot of mods are on their toes on this thread.
I like the colors of the bikes in contrast to their clothes. I can understand why the mods are weary, this thread has ugly potential.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 08-12-10, 03:42 PM
uprightbent

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Lighten up, it was humor he was intending, something we all need.
Old 08-12-10, 04:08 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I remember once long ago I re-directed some biking mormon's discussion topic (conversion,etc.) to their bikes - why did they ride mtn. bikes on the road? Why not road bikes? etc. They lost interest in talking with me.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Likes For norskagent:
Old 08-12-10, 04:27 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I remember back in the 70s a lot of the missionaries riding really nice road bikes, and just as the young men on mountain bikes today, they didn't use fenders (white shirts and fenderless?) I often thought the church should supply bombproof, fendered, IG 5 speeds. Just my .02 cents

Cheers,
Chris
Old 08-12-10, 04:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got new mountain bikes, white shirts, dark pants, and we're wearing ties.
Sprint it."

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-22-20 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 05:02 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I was a missionary exactly 21 years ago in Minnesota. We got to choose what we wanted to ride, many used hand-me-down bikes as mentioned above, I chose to buy a 1988 Specialized Hard Rock Sport mountain bike because slick tires didn't do as well in the wintertime snow and ice. I actually put studded tires on the bike for one winter, but never was smart enough to put slicks on it in the summertime. I did use fenders all of the time after ruining one white shirt riding after one of the ever-threatening summer rainstorms.

I recall one missionary had some kind of a Schwinn road bike, and he was a lot faster than the rest of us, but he couldn't hop curbs nearly as well. A couple of others had older 3 or 5 speed town bikes. I just remembered that I flipped my first bike ever while there (a Raliegh mountain bike, that I bought at a garage sale for $15, replaced the cables and brakes, and sold to a new missionary for cost).

CMC
Likes For CMC SanDiego:
Old 08-12-10, 05:04 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by CMC SanDiego
I was a missionary exactly 21 years ago in Minnesota. We got to choose what we wanted to ride, many used hand-me-down bikes as mentioned above, I chose to buy a 1988 Specialized Hard Rock Sport mountain bike because slick tires didn't do as well in the wintertime snow and ice. I actually put studded tires on the bike for one winter, but never was smart enough to put slicks on it in the summertime. I did use fenders all of the time after ruining one white shirt riding after one of the ever-threatening summer rainstorms.

I recall one missionary had some kind of a Schwinn road bike, and he was a lot faster than the rest of us, but he couldn't hop curbs nearly as well. A couple of others had older 3 or 5 speed town bikes. I just remembered that I flipped my first bike ever while there (a Raliegh mountain bike, that I bought at a garage sale for $15, replaced the cables and brakes, and sold to a new missionary for cost).

CMC
I've been considering studded tires...did you find that they helped?
Old 08-12-10, 05:04 PM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought the foam tube things were similar to top tube protectors - to prevent dents in the top tube from track handlebars. Doesn't make much sense with risers, but I suppose it does prevent scratches and mess from locking up.
Old 08-12-10, 05:08 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by uprightbent
Lighten up, it was humor he was intending, something we all need.
I don't think the problem was Zorro not being light enough, I think the problem was the alleged humor not being funny and being offensive...especially when people here had already said they were mormons. It's funny how everyone complains about people needing to lighten up...until it's their group getting attacked. Try imagining that you were mormon and had heard jokes about being polygamous your entire life. Now imagine you were part of a close knit community that usually does a very good job of respecting one another. How would you feel...as part of that community...if another member of it rehashed the same old comment?

Btw...I'm not Mormon...and I found it in poor taste.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 08-12-10, 05:20 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's funny how everyone complains about people needing to lighten up...until it's their group getting attacked.
+1. Those who don't understand this concept should take a gander at A&S dynamics sometime...

-Kurt

Old 08-12-10, 05:22 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been considering studded tires...did you find that they helped?
They did help very much when it was really cold, especially if there was unseen ice under the snow. In the winter in Minnesota they used to plow the snow in the parks into open circles, flood the middle, and have instant mini-ice rinks. One of the games we used to play was to race across them. I was one of the few that could consistently ride across the ice without crashing (because of the studded tires). Of course we were so bundled up that crashes didn't hurt anyway.
Likes For CMC SanDiego:
Old 08-12-10, 05:25 PM
7/8timing

Bikes: 80' Zullo track bike,84 Lotus Legend,91' Nishiki Prestige,91' Fuji sundance

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dashuaigeh
I thought the foam tube things were similar to top tube protectors - to prevent dents in the top tube from track handlebars. Doesn't make much sense with risers, but I suppose it does prevent scratches and mess from locking up.

nope those are to protect your "pants yabbies" when falling or getting off a bmx bike. your thinking of one of these.
https://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtri...himax_fp-1.jpg
or you can just use cloth bar tape and wrap it around the TT a few times where the bars hit. works just as good and it doesn't cost $50!

@cudak888

what's an A&S dynamic?
Old 08-12-10, 05:35 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A nice Mormon fellow in MA offered me a lot of bike parts and his old mtb, after he got into downhill. The old bike was parted, a Barracuda with suspension fork 7000 AL frame and STX components. I got boxes of parts, extra fork, a set of mtb wheels. Nice, friendly, generous. Told him of my pending move to PHX. Turned out his family moved from there, and offered help and contact info to his older brother still there, just to assist me in my relocation.
I guess I'm posting this because I don't want to see this thread turn ugly. Into some Mormon stereotype thing. I'm not religious, but have been type casted more times I care to be. Everybody should be judged on an individual basis.
Live and let live I say. I think choosing a mtb for their task is good. The terrain here varies. But if one should knock on my door, I might recommend smooth slick tires instead of the knobbies. (And pay it forward, should they need a wheel trued, or derailleur adjusted.)

Last edited by WNG; 08-12-10 at 05:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.