Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you disregard traffic laws during your commute?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you disregard traffic laws during your commute?

Old 11-24-19, 11:54 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Just so we're clear, you can only behave like a pedestrian if you are a pedestrian. That means full dismount bipedal movement.
Simply 100% true. Cyclists who are on their bike in a cross-walk and who expect others to yield for them are either ignorant or ass-hats.
Old 11-24-19, 12:00 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Here's a good demo of how to ride on streets with lots of traffic, pedestrians, and traffic lights plus, of course, cross-traffic.

Likes For BengalCat:
Old 11-24-19, 12:06 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
At a vehicle actuated sensor light, if there is no traffic in sight I’ll typically treat it like a 4 way stop. If there are cars approaching the intersection that will trigger the light I’ll wait for the light. If there is traffic approaching the intersection that won’t trigger the light I’ll wait until it passes then proceed when it’s clear. I never sit around and count seconds. In Indiana the dead light law is 2 minutes. One alligator, 2 alligator, 3 alligator ... 120 alligator - seriously?
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 11-24-19, 01:48 PM
billyO13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Just so we're clear, you can only behave like a pedestrian if you are a pedestrian. That means full dismount bipedal movement.
I agree, and when appropriate, that's what I do. If I have to some to a complete stop, I have to dismount anyway, so then, as appropriate I either ambulate like a pedestrian, or re-mount and continue as a driver.
Old 11-24-19, 01:49 PM
billyO13

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Simply 100% true. Cyclists who are on their bike in a cross-walk and who expect others to yield for them are either ignorant or ass-hats.
Also true.
Old 11-24-19, 02:09 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Many people posting in commuting sub forum are asshats, and often not cyclists at all.

Since we’re making “true” statements.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 11-24-19, 02:51 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Aha! Right, huh?

Well, I am right-handed all the way. But I always, always unclip the left. Wouldn't even know how to do the right.
Me too. The one time I tried clipping on my right I fell over.😦 Good thing no witnesses.
Old 11-24-19, 03:57 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Me too. The one time I tried clipping on my right I fell over.😦 Good thing no witnesses.
Ahh--you know, I deal with bipolar disorder and, unfortunately, I do not laugh very much anymore. It's probably one of my meds. Anyhow, you just really made me laugh! Thank you. And sorry, I shouldn't laugh. But I did. So, thanks. You did your good deed for the day.
Old 11-24-19, 04:07 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Ahh--you know, I deal with bipolar disorder and, unfortunately, I do not laugh very much anymore. It's probably one of my meds. Anyhow, you just really made me laugh! Thank you. And sorry, I shouldn't laugh. But I did. So, thanks. You did your good deed for the day.
That's okay. I think it was funny too.
Old 11-24-19, 06:53 PM
Archwhorides 

Me too. The one time I tried clipping on my right I fell over.�� Good thing no witnesses.
Been there, done that (opposite side though). There were about 30 onlookers at the time.

Then again, later on I injured my right ankle in a fall and couldn't put weight on it, so instead of unclipping with my usual right foot at stops, I had to make an adjustment and unclip on the left. It took only a day to get used to the switch. Pain avoidance is a great motivator.

Ironically it was more painful to walk than it was to bike, so I had no choice but to continue riding into work until the ankle was healed.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 11-24-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-24-19, 11:19 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
My commute riding is sharply focused on safety and conducted with a nuanced balance of practicality and legality. I do nothing which would compromise my safety. Well, aside from the fact that I place myself on a public roadway on a bicycle.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 11-24-19, 11:24 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
That's okay. I think it was funny too.
You're a better man than I. When I unclipped right and leaned left, funny was the last thing on my mind. I just lay there in the middle of the road accessing the damage. Turns out I was uninjured -- except for my ego. 😩
Old 11-25-19, 04:46 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I do when commuting at 4 am, but obey them when commuting home at 3 pm. When more people are out.
Old 11-25-19, 08:42 AM
justsaymint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
Do you?
Aggressively, often and with great relish.
Old 11-25-19, 09:27 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Cyclists who are on their bike in a cross-walk and who expect others to yield for them are either ignorant or ass-hats.
What if it's legal? Which it is here, provided you don't exceed the speed of pedestrians while crossing on a cross-walk.

There are some traffic laws I break routinely - mostly I don't signal turns if there is noone close enough to be affected by my actions. I also usually start moving just before the red lights go out, to get a bit of head start on cars. On rare occasions I blow red lights too, but only if it's safe to do so. Breaking the speed limits is mostly a non-issue, but I have done it a few times. And I'm pretty sure that I occasionally exceed the blood alcohol limit when riding home from the pub.
Old 11-25-19, 10:08 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Rolling most stop signs. I stop only at busy intersections.

Does anyone else notice that when you come to a stop at a stop sign, and a car stops, they have no idea what to do? As in they fully expect you to not follow the rules and go?
Likes For crazyravr:
Old 11-25-19, 10:28 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Does anyone else notice that when you come to a stop at a stop sign, and a car stops, they have no idea what to do? As in they fully expect you to not follow the rules and go?
Yeah, that's happened to me quite few times, usually the driver ends up waving me through. Occasionally I wave the driver through.
Old 11-25-19, 11:16 AM
Archwhorides 

I yield to the legality of cyclists riding in Latvian cross-walks.

Originally Posted by subgrade
What if it's legal? Which it is here, provided you don't exceed the speed of pedestrians while crossing on a cross-walk.

There are some traffic laws I break routinely - mostly I don't signal turns if there is noone close enough to be affected by my actions. I also usually start moving just before the red lights go out, to get a bit of head start on cars. On rare occasions I blow red lights too, but only if it's safe to do so. Breaking the speed limits is mostly a non-issue, but I have done it a few times. And I'm pretty sure that I occasionally exceed the blood alcohol limit when riding home from the pub.
This is a solid urban cycling rulebook. Now is it illegal to ride a bicycle while partially intoxicated? If so, I am "braking bad" more than I knew before.
Old 11-25-19, 11:18 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ug...-the-influence
Old 11-25-19, 11:22 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by liampboyle
Yeah, that's happened to me quite few times, usually the driver ends up waving me through. Occasionally I wave the driver through.
That is always my preferred method.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 11-25-19, 11:41 AM
Bikesax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If there is a stop sign where I can clearly tell there isn't a car in sight, I'll slow down and coast through it. Otherwise, I obey the law that bicycles are vehicles and are subject to the same laws as cars. We can't complain about motor traffic not taking us seriously if we don't ourselves.
Old 11-25-19, 12:23 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
No. The law is the law. Breaking it makes you "one of those ______ bikers" that everyone, not a cyclist, kvetches about incessantly claiming we need banned from roads---and you only prove their negative stereotype true.
Agree. Interestingly recent traffic studies have shown that cyclists do break traffic laws and that motor vehicles break them more often.
Likes For Goldrush:
Old 11-25-19, 12:47 PM
Fredr500

Bikes: Me: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite / wife: 2019 Specialized Roll Elite Low Entry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I’ve been off a bike for decades but am just now getting back on one.

As a driver my biggest peeve is being behind a biker l, waiting until it is safe to pass, only to come to a light or stop sign and have him (almost always a him) pass me on the curb and then take a full lane in front of me again.
Old 11-25-19, 12:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I have two lights right now that I routinely run. One is at a MUP/street intersection and the "Walk" sign is currently broken, so I would be there all day if I waited for it to change. That light would never change. I tried. So, I just wait until it is safe, and I go. The second, is a light that a cyclist cannot trip, I guess due to our low weight. I am usually there at around 5 in the morning most days. I treat it like a Stop sign and when it is clear, I go. Don't feel bad one bit.

Almost all Stop signs I come to a complete stop at, because, where I ride, these are places motorists routinely blow through. There is, however, one Stop sign on one of my routes that is in a deserted part of town. I am usually there at about 0520 or so. Every once in awhile, an early work person is there, heading out, but almost never. I can easily see fifty yards both directions and I routinely run this Stop sign because it is just a deserted area and there is no need to stop and re-clip. In my view, that is.

I don't like clipping out and in 5000 times on a two-hour ride. It seems unnecessary. But I do it. Am now very proficient at clipping in. It is a ton of starting and stopping in town. But it is required most of the time.
Have you told your city's public works department about the issues? Stoplight sensors are actually inducers(?) geared towards detecting metal; try leaning your bike over a bit when you stop. If that doesn't work, contact the city to report it and they can adjust the sensitivity. Also tell them about the places where drivers blow through intersections. These guys rarely get feedback, and they can't be everywhere, and likely not on bikes.
Old 11-25-19, 01:40 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Rolling most stop signs. I stop only at busy intersections.

I posted almost exactly this very thing happening to me last week. In that case, I kept my eyes on the driver because, while slowing, he was not yet stopping as he moved toward the line. I actually did not have a stop sign (so that's a bit different), he did. But I ride assuming every driver and cyclist is out to kill me. I do this because I have been hit before and because experience tells me that drivers and cyclists not uncommonly completely blow through stop signs in my town. That is the reality. So, I slowed and waited. Then, the driver suddenly turned and looked directly at me, hit the accelerator, and totally blew threw his stop sign--looking at me the whole time.

I expected to get mostly support from my fellow Bike Forumers on this, as I had behaved defensively and cautiously in a vehicle encounter that quite obviously could have injured me, since the driver ultimately failed to stop as required by law. I did get some support, but I also got some comments essentially placing the responsibility for the driver running a stop sign on my defensive riding. The general idea I think was that my "hesitation" basically must have frustrated the driver and so he quite wisely and correctly ran the stop sign as a result. Okay. It's all good. Everyone is entitled to their world view. I don't share that urban cycling world view, but it's good. We're good. I do appreciate the feedback. As Voltaire said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.