Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trading Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 11:18 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Trading Up

I got back into cycling about 5 years ago and at the time had no idea what kind of bike I really wanted but a commuter bike seemed like a good place to start so I bought a Giant City Escape. It is a good bike did just fine for my 6 mile commute. I had a hard time breaking in the bike, it was not really the bike that needed breaking in as much as me. When I finally got comfortable on the bike I found it to be good for 15 to 20 mile rides but over that it became very uncomfortable, for me anyway.
For me I need a bike that can haul stuff which the Giant did with rear panniers, but I want to do longer rides, go somewhere, I started to realize I might be better off with a touring bike. I discoved the Surly DT and before long I test road one, lot more expensive than my Giant but what a bike. Since I was still working I decided to wait until closer to my retirement date as I really did not have the free time to take those longer rides.
A few months ago I retired so now I am running out of excuses and I find that Surly has actually downgraded a few components while the price keeps going up, I discovered the Kona Sutra SE, ticks all the box's for me so I bought one, and it is not lime green.
My first real ride on the Sutra was 25 miles, about 8 miles unmaintained asphalt, 8 miles gravel road and the rest good road. Just had to see how the bike did on a gravel road, I was all around very pleased, the 400c x 40c Schwabel Mondial tires really do make a difference when the roads get rough. I like the drops when going down hill kind of fast. I am afraid I am going to have to find a new home for the Giant.
Now I have to get used to the drop bars, break in a B17 and get myself in better riding shape.
Likes For Ttom:
Old 04-17-22, 10:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Kona has kept that model name alive for many years. Must be a good seller for them. Enjoy the new ride.

I have yet to ride tires wider than 30mm on a road bike. Got 30mm for a specific gravel route occasionally ridden. Still a believer in good 23-28mm tubular tires.
The additional rotating mass does not improve my riding experience on the paved hilly terrain around here.