Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I've Got to Learn to Say No.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I've Got to Learn to Say No.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 09:18 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Fixing bikes for friends can get to be expensive, of course there are other tangibles to be considered. For goods friends I’m glad to do it, but lately have been more upfront about the cost, so as to avoid working on junk bikes.
Just had a friend bring me a 73 Schwinn Collegiate, that his wife found in a rummage sale for 10 bucks, and fell in love with. Bike looked like it hadn’t even been ridden 10 miles. He wanted a new wheelset, dual pivot brakes, and indexed shifting. I told him it would be cheaper to buy new, and showed him the new Schwinn Collegiate which is actually a very nice bike.
We settled on just completely going over what he had, and 278 dollars later they are both happy. I still lost money on the deal, but they are good friends, and I learned that it is impossible to make an old 5 speed derailleur Schwinn index shift.
Tim

Likes For tkamd73:
Old 04-24-22, 10:30 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
That Collegiate reminds me that I have a women's '73 Suburban that I don't particularly want for anything. If I thought they wouldn't neglect it like the bikes they brought me, I would give it to her and take her Kent to the dumpster.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-24-22, 01:19 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Not if they don't maintain them.

Honestly I'm not too upset about this and I do want to help them. I'm just letting off a little steam with this thread because I have put off working on three of my bikes because I didn't want to work on these. I have nobody to blame but me for trying to be a nice guy.
Bless you, I wish there were more people like you in the world... They sound like good people, as they give their time freely, or so it sounds...
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 04-24-22, 02:47 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
It’s a tough one; there’s ‘restoring a bike’ and restoring a bike to functionality.
This is a case of the latter.
It’s hard, when you’re working on someone else’s bike (especially as a favor) not to put in all the attention to details that you would on one of your own bikes. ​​​​​

In the OP’s case, unless the owner is willing to supply a bunch of new parts, it’d try to get those bikes functioning on as many original parts as possible.
New parts cost money and cleaning and refinishing old parts takes a lot of time, neither of which you should be expected to provide totally free of charge

Those bikes definitely need new chains, ( and I guess attention to the tires/ tubes) but unless you either have parts on hand, or the owners are willing to supply them, you can probably restore adequate function to the shifting and braking by lubing and adjusting the original parts.

It may not be up to your standards, but it may be as good as it was when it was new (especially on a cheap bike) and perfectly acceptable to the owner of such a bike.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 04-25-22 at 08:14 AM.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-24-22, 03:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
They look in much better shape than the department store bikes I bought for my children when they were preteen and teen. After they rode them in the mud then left them in the rain unused for a few days they rusted up pretty well.

Just spraying some WD-40 or some other very light lube on them and adjusting what needed adjusting would let them be good till the next time they abused them.

You should just learn that rust is a look that some perhaps like. Just fix the flats, lube the chain and adjust what needs adjusting. Seems like you've acquired some bigger kids to care for! <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-24-22, 03:42 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Right. You need to learn to say, 'No.' It's better for you and for freeloaders, too. I'd suggest telling them what it will cost to restore the bikes to rideability for bot parts and reasonable labor, so that they understand what they're asking for, and so they can refuse if they realize it's more than they want to spend. That would be the kindest thing you can do for them
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-24-22, 03:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
If someone asks me to look at their bike, I'll be happy to adjust the shifting and brakes. But if it needs any parts beyond tires or tubes, I tell them it needs parts and they need to take it to a bike shop. I have no problem saying this and it's never caused any hard feelings. I don't understand people who can't or are afraid to nicely say no.
Old 04-24-22, 10:27 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Ironically, I've often been told I appear unapproachable. Yet I seem to be the go to guy to fix things in a couple of other organizations I'm involved with.

What is funny about that is he is the one to do the grilling at church cookouts and she organizes the kitchen for church dinners.
Well you could also look at it like “If I paid for a burger or brat from a restaurant for every time I ate what he grilled at church…”

I’d still ask for a pie or 2 out of the deal.
But I just really like pies.
My wife makes a really good pie crust and more spice with less sugar in her apple pie.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-24-22, 11:16 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
My 5c. It is not clear what the question is. Yes, you should learn to say no. From what you are saying it looks like you have some psychological traumas which result in having a hard time saying no and you are masquerading those traumas using theology. I am also a home mechanic who helped some people fix the bikes (as it is my hobby), including a pastor in the church. If I already had (new or gently used) the parts, I just installed them. If I had to order anything (chain, kickstand etc.) he returned me the money for it. It is not a question of the cost, but a question of having healthy boundaries.

But I'm a pushover for friends, family and people in need.
Are the owners of the bikes you are working on the "people in need" like a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores?

I think it is going to be best to just to free the rusty chains up and make them operational because frankly, I don't think they will ride them. But I feel like that lowers the standards of my work. I guess the Lord expects me to have a happier heart for Church family than this.
Is there a problem with saying no to them and having a happier heart for them? I am not trolling here.

Edit: Yes, I had similar stories. Many years ago I helped an old lady in the church to rescue and old MacBook (PowerPC one) which had no OS. It took me a while to set up Xubuntu on it. She looked happy. After a few months her new neighbor from the place upstate she moved to calls me. She was writing her book on a new PC laptop she bought in MS Office she bought as well and she accidentally deleted all the content and saved the file. He tried to recover the file for her, but was not able to do it (btw, she kept using the computer and rebooted several times after the loss of the file), the question was if I knew any way to do it. If she was willing to pay for a new laptop (OK) and MS Office (Libreoffice or even WordPad would work for her), why did I spend all the time rescuing the old piece of junk for her? I just said no.

Last edited by csport; 04-25-22 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 09:47 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
Anyone heard of "Paying it Forward" ?
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-25-22, 09:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Being nice is one thing. Offering to change out some tubes is a relatively easy thing and certainly within the spirit of fellowship you are talking about. These bikes are a project and TBH you probably should have stood up for yourself and the amount of work they needed when you first saw them. These are a FAR beyond some simple work and you should be interested in being compensated for the level required. Feel like your best bet is to call them back, discuss the real parts and time these are going to take along with a low price for doing so and ask how interested they really are.

My foresight says you are going to get these back up and running just to sit in the weather and look like this again, soon. Don't be a doormat.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 04-25-22, 09:56 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Paying forward is one thing, and of course we have no idea what the level of friendship or past deeds have been in regard to these folks. At the same time being taken advantage of is a whole other boat.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 04-25-22, 10:01 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Yes I’m sure most of us have, a noble endeavor, but one has to draw the line at wrenching on a pos, for someone who can easily afford a decent bike.
Tim
Old 04-25-22, 02:08 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
My foresight says you are going to get these back up and running just to sit in the weather and look like this again, soon.
So does mine.

I won't charge them anything for labor which I'm afraid will be a mistake as it will make it attractive to others to use me for projects like this.
Because I feel guilty about working on the three bike restores of my own before these I haven't got anywhere on them. I really want to get my Hercules built Western Flyer 3 speed on the road so I drug the out to the patio today.
Can all these concerns be addressed by telling them that you do this as an hobby and you work at your own pace? There is no ETA. (If they need an ETA they can go to the LBS or got to Wal-Mart and buy a new BSO.) Most of the people at these forums enjoy doing mechanical work, and we know that happy feeling when you restore a bike. Then you can have some fun and they can get their bikes restored at some point. Just set their expectations honestly.
Old 04-27-22, 06:20 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
I think when you get through they will ride them once or twice park them again, just like last time.
Likes For Ttom:
Old 04-27-22, 07:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

I've decided it best if I replace one tube, replace one brake cable and WD40 the chains and freewheels until they free up and then oil them. I think most of the predictions that they won't be used any more or taken better care of than they have been are correct.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-28-22, 07:13 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Yeah, it was a movie starring Haley Joel Osment, Helen Hunt, and Keven Spacey.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 04-28-22, 08:18 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
While it is important to have "a servants heart" boundaries are important. Lube a chain, squirt lube in the housings, adjust the brakes, fix a flat. No parts. Just labor. Draw the line at 2 hours labor per & send them on their way. I wouldn't even wipe them down with a moist rag...Care is the owners responsibility.

The customer was satisfied & happy when the bike was new, right?
It's sad but they are as good as they are going to get & likely are better functioning now than when they were new. So, you've done your good deed & the served should be thankful.

Base2
(who fixes BSO's for a living at a nonprofit)

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-28-22, 09:03 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
We used to call them "Wood Pile Bikes" because they were almost always left outside leaning up against a pile of firewood through the years. I straight up tell people that you can buy functional cheap bikes for $40 at yard sales (this has changed as of late), and politely as possible decline the work. I quit working on "Buddy Jobs" long ago, unless the "client" is someone who can't afford the LBS. OP: IME there is little chance of the bikes ever being ridden after your time, money, and energy is put into them. The typical middle-class adult who buys a department store bike likes the idea of biking for exercise or enjoyment, but the actual riding of the bike never seems to occur.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 09-13-22, 09:20 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

An old woman at work told me today that the Schwinn cruiser she bought on Amazon will be delivered Friday. Guess who will probably be asked to put it together or at least fix the undoubtable shifting issues she will have.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-14-22, 07:23 AM
Milton Keynes

An old woman at work told me today that the Schwinn cruiser she bought on Amazon will be delivered Friday. Guess who will probably be asked to put it together or at least fix the undoubtable shifting issues she will have.
Well at least if it's new then you can get it set up and adjusted properly before she rides it once, then leaves it sit outside in the weather for a few years.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-14-22, 10:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
A friend of mine used to unashamedly wear a t-shirt that said "NO I WON'T FIX YOUR COMPUTER". Being the computer nerd in the family, it was a necessity. Something along those lines would solve the problem.
I once saw a bumper sticker that read, "Yes, this is my truck. No, I won't help you move."

I subsequently kept my eyes open for such a sticker, as I wanted one on my truck; never found one.
Old 09-14-22, 01:39 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 607 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
There is, unfortunately, one additional thing to think about before becoming the local 'I'll fix your junker bike up' guy.

A lot of these gems were barely safe enough to ride when they were brand new, with questionable brakes, etc. Should you decide to bring back one of the rusty, previously non-maintained beauties to a state where someone would actually not be too embarrassed to be seen riding it, and something go very badly (that brake cable you didn't replace suddenly snaps, causing the rider - who most likely isn't wearing a helmet - to go butt over teakettle after striking the object he/she was trying to stop for) don't be surprised if the same person who thought you should be nominated for the Nobel prize for 'fixing' the bike suddenly decides you're the reason he/she has brain damage, and sues you for perpetual care.
I used to be the local "bike guy" in our small town as the closest LBS is 30 miles away and at the height of the Covid crap I was swamped and I was also flipping a fair number of bikes. One day, I'm not sure why, but I started thinking about what would happen of something did fail, my fault or not, so I now turn people away except for family and close friends, I don't need that kind of grief.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 09-14-22 at 03:04 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 09-14-22, 01:52 PM
Milton Keynes

I run an automotive shop but also do a little work on bicycles, obviously since I'm a cyclist myself. Generally this mainly consists of fixing bicycle tires, but one day a customer brought in his grandson's mountain bike which had been left outside in the rain, and he wanted me to fix it up for him. It wouldn't shift gears, front derailleur or back, and needed new inner tubes. Plus one of the grips was completely missing. So I replaced the cables which had rusted, ordered and replaced the twist shifters, one of which had broken, and put new tubes in the tires. Then put on new handlebar grips. Also replaced the brake cables which were also rusty and very iffy. So after around $100 of work I had fixed the bike up to rideable condition. The customer was very impressed and liked how I had fixed it up, and I said to make sure it doesn't get left out in the rain again.

A month or two later he brought in yet another bike asking if I could fix it up, but it was way beyond being worth working on. Like the other bike, it was a department store bike, but this one was in very very poor condition, missing brakes and a few other parts. I simply told him that this one was too far gone, and by the time he paid to have it rebuilt he could go to Walmart and get a brand new one cheaper. He asked if I wanted it for parts, but I declined. There really wasn't anything worth salvaging on that bike.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-14-22, 09:31 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
He asked if I wanted it for parts, but I declined. There really wasn't anything worth salvaging on that bike.
I do get that a lot, especially from neighbors that I've fixed their bike for free. They feel it's a way of paying me for what I do. But sadly, most bikes that are donated or even left outside my place usually just end up in the dumpster, there just isn't anything on them worth salvaging due to rust or corrosion.
Likes For SpedFast:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.