Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What came in the post for you today?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What came in the post for you today?

Old 11-18-22, 05:12 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Busy days ...

Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 11-19-22, 09:28 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts

Medici stem
I have one of these on my other Medici and when I saw this one on the bay , I decided to bid $35 and got it for 32 plus about 10 for shipping and tax. The scratches that aren’t buried in the steerer tube can be touched up with satin black paint. This one , I think, is an earlier version of the 3ttt stem . It doesn’t have the deep counter bore of the tightening screw or the nice set screw underneath that opens the clamping area up . The three grooves on top do not have the tri-color paint so I will add that like my other one. The Medici is slowly coming together.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-19-22, 09:33 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12

Medici stem
I have one of these on my other Medici and when I saw this one on the bay , I decided to bid $35 and got it for 32 plus about 10 for shipping and tax. The scratches that aren’t buried in the steerer tube can be touched up with satin black paint. This one , I think, is an earlier version of the 3ttt stem . It doesn’t have the deep counter bore of the tightening screw or the nice set screw underneath that opens the clamping area up . The three grooves on top do not have the tri-color paint so I will add that like my other one. The Medici is slowly coming together.
Gee, I wonder what frame/bike that could possibly be going into. I guess I'll just have to wait to find out like everybody else . . . .
Old 11-19-22, 09:34 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Gee, I wonder what frame/bike that could possibly be going into. I guess I'll just have to wait to find out like everybody else . . . .
just another slow reveal! But three guesses and the first two don’t count!
Old 11-19-22, 11:09 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
just another slow reveal! But three guesses and the first two don’t count!
Confente?

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-19-22, 01:56 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@ascherer, that's funny. I definitely have my Imelda Marcos moments, too. Being an obsessive counter, I noticed I have more shoes than my spouse does. (It may no longer be true.) Today I glanced in my closet and noticed I don't even know how many SPD shoes I have. Unfortunately, I have bought a lot because most of them give me pain. But now that I have orthotics, I'm trying them all again. One of my worst pairs now feels quite good.

New merchandise content: today I bought some Perl Izumi lobster claw gloves. I bought them at Campmor, a bricks and mortar store.
I used to order the campmor catalog and dream of the adventures that I would take. I never really did them until I got divorced but the name campmor still stirs the adventure gene in me.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-19-22, 02:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Sapim Race spokes from wheelbuildingparts.com, aka the Unchained Bicycle Garage in Arcadia, CA. For a 32h wheelset, these set me back $70.

When I look at photos of their place, it looks like a tiny converted gas station. I wish them well.

Old 11-19-22, 09:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I used to order the campmor catalog and dream of the adventures that I would take. I never really did them until I got divorced but the name campmor still stirs the adventure gene in me.
I do understand! I imagine there's a place like Campmor every X miles. It's like REI or whatever, but it's really good. If you don't have a place like it, add it to your list of sites to see when you come to the NYC area.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-20-22, 11:21 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 3,081 Times in 1,942 Posts
Cinelli oddity

Thanks to Mad Honk, ever the awesome Crapmaster (these are not crap for the record)

Var pin spanner, and a Cinelli stem color and insets I have never seen before. MH even reconfigured the bolt for a torx bit.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 11-25-22, 09:08 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 715 Posts
Better picture

Last edited by malcala622; 11-26-22 at 11:41 AM.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 11-26-22, 10:11 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Odds 'n ends. I bought the seatpost from oldspokeshome on eBay awhile ago. It will go on my Conti. My son in Burlington, VT picked it up and brought it with him when he came west for Thanksgiving. He also brought the keychain (b'day present). The Garmin Varia (also a b'day present) isn't at all vintage, but it will go on my vintage bikes. Hopefully the display of cars bearing down on me won't be too distracting.

Old 11-29-22, 12:03 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Stuff relating to the round things that make our bikes go. First, a pair of defective Challenge tubular tires:

And second, a beautiful pair of Campy wheel bags from SoCaled :

The tires were supposed to be the final piece of the puzzle to complete the repair of the Davidson and finally get it back on the road for real. At least I've now got another pair of wheel bags for these wheels once they are finally complete.

As soon as the refund for the tires is in the wind, I'll go in a different direction tubular-wise.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-29-22, 01:49 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Just some nice Campagnolo brakes for the stash or maybe an upgrade on the Kirk Terraplane.

Old 11-29-22, 02:45 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Just some nice Campagnolo brakes...
Is it typical to mix single pivot and dual pivot calipers?
Old 11-29-22, 04:04 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,132 Posts
Not all today, but over the last week. Four front hubs for some midwinter wheel building. Or maybe for LaMadonna G's collection of misfits. A pair of Ofmega, one new Miche, and a Gipiemme. All are in great shape so nothing special to do before building them up. Smiles, MH

All from various sources, but in good working order.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 11-29-22, 04:50 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Is it typical to mix single pivot and dual pivot calipers?
It's a Campagnolo thing!

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Cam...raking_systems

I've got standard and differential brakesets on various bikes and for my style riding it doesn't seem to matter.
Old 11-29-22, 04:54 PM
jamesdak 

The Garmin Varia (also a b'day present) isn't at all vintage, but it will go on my vintage bikes. Hopefully the display of cars bearing down on me won't be too distracting.
I got a Varia this year after years of just riding with a helmet mounter rear mirror. The Varia is a game changer in my book, even if I get zoning and forget about checking the mirror the Varia gives both the visual alerts and warning tones. Seems to have a really good range too, picks up multiple cars, and motorcycles.
Old 12-01-22, 10:41 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Putting one of these dia-compe roller hangers on my new XOXO’s tektro oryx cantilevers really helped the rear brake action. This second one came today to be installed on the front.

Old 12-02-22, 08:52 AM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
Black Friday Special - think outside the box...

Old 12-02-22, 12:43 PM
smontanaro 

I got a Varia this year after years of just riding with a helmet mounter rear mirror. The Varia is a game changer in my book, even if I get zoning and forget about checking the mirror the Varia gives both the visual alerts and warning tones. Seems to have a really good range too, picks up multiple cars, and motorcycles.
I have four or five rides with the Varia under my belt at this point. A few points I noticed.
  • On my first ride, when it pinged an alert at its furthest extent I looked back to see what was coming. I never saw a car under those circumstances. That means it sees better than me. It seems unlikely a mirror would have been as good. ✓
  • When stopped at a light, it continues to show cars as they approach, but clears the display once they are all stopped. ✓
  • At one stoplight, I removed the Varia from its mount and held it in my hand so I could see the light. With cars approaching, the blinking was more insistent. Once they stopped, it returned to a more placid blink routine. I especially like the variable blinking, as a way to attract drivers' attention. ✓
  • I found it a big win in certain situations. There is one road I ride on briefly which has somewhat sketchy pavement and no real shoulder to speak of. I frequently make a left turn at a light. The road conditions make it difficult to take your eyes off what's in front of you to check for cars approaching from behind. The Varia solves that problem nicely. ✓
The only small issues so far are...
  • The Varia provides essentially no feedback about state of charge. There is a status LED that flashes red when you have less than 60 minutes of runtime left. It would be nice if state of charge was somehow transmitted to the head unit (I use a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt — maybe Garmin devices are better at this?).
  • I boggles my mind that the only mounting option is to a seatpost. I have no room on my seatposts (level top tube, saddle bag or spare tubular under the saddle), so have been using the aero seatpost adapter mounted upside down on a seatstay. It seems to work well, but sometimes rotates a bit and the contact surface between the mount and the seat stay is minimal. I guess there is a reason the Thingiverse has so many custom mounts for the Varia. (Unfortunately, none of them appear to be for seat stays either.)
Old 12-02-22, 03:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
@smontanaro

Couple more observations, you have supplied info I have been casually wondering without acting upon for the cost of these, tx for ramping me up.

I would/will continue with the mirror as well for an added layer/different perspective, literally and figuratively. I feel naked without it now after using one for 4-5 years.

Garmin probably eschews the ST as it may obscure the 180 view of these.

I already run 3 rear lights including a Cycliq camera and one that acts as a brake light as well as front Cycliq plus another light and GPS, 24/7, 365.

The Varia would be the icing on the cake I think.

I would try and fabricate a reacharound/extension bracket to come off the SP or ST, I would have the same problem and already run the brake lt. on the SS.

The tube mount could be done with something like this I think and fab the rest to get out where you want it.

Last edited by merziac; 12-02-22 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-02-22, 05:30 PM
jamesdak 

I have four or five rides with the Varia under my belt at this point. A few points I noticed.
  • On my first ride, when it pinged an alert at its furthest extent I looked back to see what was coming. I never saw a car under those circumstances. That means it sees better than me. It seems unlikely a mirror would have been as good. ✓
  • When stopped at a light, it continues to show cars as they approach, but clears the display once they are all stopped. ✓
  • At one stoplight, I removed the Varia from its mount and held it in my hand so I could see the light. With cars approaching, the blinking was more insistent. Once they stopped, it returned to a more placid blink routine. I especially like the variable blinking, as a way to attract drivers' attention. ✓
  • I found it a big win in certain situations. There is one road I ride on briefly which has somewhat sketchy pavement and no real shoulder to speak of. I frequently make a left turn at a light. The road conditions make it difficult to take your eyes off what's in front of you to check for cars approaching from behind. The Varia solves that problem nicely. ✓
The only small issues so far are...
  • The Varia provides essentially no feedback about state of charge. There is a status LED that flashes red when you have less than 60 minutes of runtime left. It would be nice if state of charge was somehow transmitted to the head unit (I use a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt — maybe Garmin devices are better at this?).
  • I boggles my mind that the only mounting option is to a seatpost. I have no room on my seatposts (level top tube, saddle bag or spare tubular under the saddle), so have been using the aero seatpost adapter mounted upside down on a seatstay. It seems to work well, but sometimes rotates a bit and the contact surface between the mount and the seat stay is minimal. I guess there is a reason the Thingiverse has so many custom mounts for the Varia. (Unfortunately, none of them appear to be for seat stays either.)
I mount mine to the little loop on the back of my saddle bags. I just use a spare garmin disc mount and two of the rubber bands. Rode like that all this year without a problem. I have two main saddle bags I switch between all the bikes (one clincher, on tubular stuff) so I'm covered for about all the bikes.

The charge is pretty bad in comparison to my old light. I just charge mine every second ride now.
Old 12-03-22, 10:15 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
For the Alan jersey collection. As a cyclocross team jersey it's the right season.

Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 12-03-22, 10:21 AM
smontanaro 

I mount mine to the little loop on the back of my saddle bags.
Alas, most of my bikes have tubulars. That's where my spare tire goes. I guess I could go old school and loop the spare over my shoulders.
Old 12-03-22, 07:13 PM
Buzzzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Last edited by Buzzzz; 12-08-22 at 12:16 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.