Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of repainting vintage frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 08:34 PM
OrangeOkie

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have several vintage bikes and I am at a quandry as to whether I should repaint or leave 'em in their natural "aged" condition. None of them are excessively scratched up, but certainly not "brand new" looking. I have already used touch up paint extensiveely to clean them up a bit asthetically. It is the fact they are vintage that attracted me to them in the first place. Is it sacreligious to repaint an old frame?
Old 04-05-07, 08:46 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
My vote is for keeping things original. If you want a shiny new bike, there are plenty to choose. I like the history of the patina, a full paint or touch-ups covers that history. Economically, original will always be worth more than a restoration. Also, restorations can cost a lot of money. I would agree that a restoration is OK when you need to repair structural damage or to reverse a previous, botched restoration.

That said, it is a free country and the above is only my opinion, paint 'em if you got 'em.
Old 04-05-07, 09:02 PM
psytari
psytari

Bikes: 64 Frejus "baby" Pista... 50 Schwinn Paramount... The quick and dead singlespeed assembly past and present...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmmmmm..

I'd rather see a truly unique vintage in original form.. no matter how knackered up.

That.. or restored to original-like condition.

I have a '50 Paramount sittin' in a faded pea green paintjob.. but if one were to look very closely there are still the traces of the original pinstriping. Now.. that is pricelessly cooler compared to the rattlecan matte black that haunts me to paint her with. Though the thought of restriping it would do it some justice.

I believe that Waterford does restoration paint and decaling to just about damn original form!

Another one, is a Frejus track that came my way with a freshly painted black metalflake. Nice.. eh? I eventually scratched 'er.. to realize that the color underneath was the eerie Frejus italian racing green. Wish she was left alone, rather than painted before going to auction. Who I then bought off of one who bought her at auction for the same amount spent. Cool.

If she was mine from the getgo.. she'd be left alone. That or sent to Waterford.. no matter how pricey it may be, for the sake of originality. Because now I'll never know what it looked like, in the shape nice as it is, that I got it.

Being a poorman.. I realize that sometimes you get what you get when you get it. Which ain't often.

Whatever.

No respray.
Old 04-05-07, 09:12 PM
vpiuva

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm also in the no respray camp unless you just have to, and if you care about resale I beleive the market feels the same way. If you were doing a full original restoration and never riding it, that may be another story.
Old 04-05-07, 09:19 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I have an old Austro-Daimler frame that I've considered giving the oxalic acid treatment, because some of the rust is beginning to bubble under the paint. I'm not as concerned with pretty paint on this one as with protecting the steel from rust. Besides, I'd hate to powdercoat over the hand painted pinstriping and lug accents.

How many of you keep frames with chips and scratches - and surface rust - untouched? I don't plan on riding this frame in the rain. So should I simply leave it be? If I bathe it in oxalic acid, I was planning on touching the bare metal with clear nail polish. But there are so many chips and scratches, it would be quite a task and would likely end up sloppy looking.

Old 04-05-07, 09:26 PM
vpiuva

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
JYB, although yours may be getting closer to the "have-to" stage, I'd still try cleaning the rust - you've got to or it will bubble more paint off, and try to match the color. That color doesn't appear so odd or too metallic to not give matching a try. And by the end, you'll be so good you can hire yourself out to your friends.
Old 04-05-07, 10:38 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
In Old Blighty (that's the UK, or more precisely, England) it's long been common practice for the owner of a fine lightweight to take his chipped, scraped, rusty old bike back to the place that sold it for a "respray", when it was needed. He might select a new paint color or keep it just as it was, and the shop would apply the decals just as before, or maybe update the graphics if logos had changed or whatever. It wasn't sacrelige or ruinous to the bike's value, people understood the value of a fine bike and appreciated one that had been used, and well *maintained*. Situation here/now is different, many fine bikes are seen as "investments" and never ridden, and many shops don't service what they sell, never mind paint them, especially some *old* bike..."wouldn't you rather ride one of our brand new carbon fibre marvels?"
Rant over...I say save it or spray it, do whatever is right just do it *right*.
Old 04-05-07, 10:56 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I think a key bit of information is missing from the opening post: are these bikes the former collection of Fausto Coppi? Or are they a bunch of bottom-of-the-line Nishikis from a garage sale?

A very few bikes absolutely must not be repainted lest something important be gone forever.

A lot of nice older bikes have some heritage or history that the wise owner leaves for the following generations. But a lot of "heritage/history" older bikes with horrible flaws or damage would benefit from a careful restoration.

And then there is the broadest category: old bikes that no one really cares about, beyond their ability to be used and enjoyed by their owners. Those bikes can be restored or repainted or used as garden ornaments and it doesn't really matter.

HTH!
Old 04-05-07, 11:06 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I would decide based on the rarity and potential value of the bike. I'd respray a 70's or 80's Japanese frame that was plentiful and not too valuable, same for a bike boom average bike such as a U0-8 Peugeot. I'd avoid it on higher end bikes if at all possible.

I was given a pink and white Giant by a neighbor. No way was I going to ride it in THAT color unless it was after dark. No particularly great value there, just a nice early 80's road bike saved from the Salvation Army or worse, so I did a Dupli-Color rattle can finish in silver and blue with a fade. Not too bad for the time and money put into it. It looked better. It was worth little when I started and little when I finished.

I see it as kind of like taking your 15 year old Dodge Dynasty to Earl Scheib. At least it is all one color again.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Likes For Rabid Koala:
Old 04-05-07, 11:16 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
"...I think a key bit of information is missing from the opening post: are these bikes the former collection of Fausto Coppi? Or are they a bunch of bottom-of-the-line Nishikis from a garage sale?..."
That is exactly my viewpoint on the topic. I have bikes that are in excellent condition, have no rust, and that is partially because I periodically take them apart, spray the insides with rust-inhibitor, and maintain them with an unblemished coat of paint to seal the metal. As ugly as it was, I would never repaint Alexi Grewal's original 1984 Olympics Pinarello...but my bikes look good after someone like Joe Bell or Tom Kellogg gets done with 'em!
Old 04-06-07, 04:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
OO, which in your mind is more fun; patina or a vintage bike that looks better then when it was assembled at the LBS? Once you decide your answer to this question you'll know the path you need to take. If it's a split decision, paint the one in the worse condition.

One response mentions "the history of the patina." Unless you have owned the bike since day one and have been it's only rider, or the previous owner kept a journal of every crash, scrape, wrench knock, screw driver gouge, etc., you can't really know the history of your bike's paint condition. Good luck.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-06-07, 05:23 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
I could keep a painter busy for a very long time given the number of vintage bikes I now own with "aged patina." It's unlikely I'll go for a respray for any of them, however, partially because of the cost, partially because I like not worrying about dinging my bikes up, partially because I like the look of a bike that's clearly been ridden. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to have a showroom piece, but that's just not for me.

Neal
Old 04-06-07, 06:49 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Depends on the bike, some should be preserved due to their uniqueness, but if it is the common Goodwill/garage sale find, go for a respray. Here is a before & after example of one. Early 70s Raleigh Super Course repainted by Acme of Portland, OR that I fitted out with a NOS Shimano 600 group. Owner of my LBS said "They didn't look this good when I sold them new". Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RaleighSuperCoursebefore.jpg (95.6 KB, 389 views)
RaleighS-C.jpg (51.7 KB, 405 views)
SuperC.jpg (99.9 KB, 433 views)
Old 04-06-07, 08:46 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
As regular readers know, I am trying to cover both bases.

When I bought the 1959 Capo about 10 years ago for $20 at a yard sale, it had already been repainted once with a dull-but-decent plain red coat of paint. Having it repainted quasi-accurately (the contrasting white head tube, similar to the treatment on ollo ollo's very nicely redone Raleigh Super Course, would have been original in my case) was strictly an economic decision, because there was no original paint left to preserve.

I bought the 1960 Capo last year to attempt a more accurate restoration, for a nice contrast to the 1959 (including the fact this one is white with a red head tube, rather than red with white). However, since the head tube's red enamel is flaking off in large chunks, I have no choice but to strip and paint at least the head tube panels while I try to patch and/or preserve the rest of the frame's paint job.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-06-07, 10:48 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Is it sacreligious to repaint an old frame?
Gosh, I hope not! ...

But seriously, it really depends on the frame & the condition it's in, whether I would paint it or not.
And how good a paint job will be going on it! I wouldn't try to do a "restoration" with rattle cans!

In the strables are;

~my wifes' '76 Interclub. Original candy blue over 531.

~A Colnago that I traded for a MTN bike, back in '86. The original medium metallic blue was booooriiiiing. So I stripped the blue and sprayed my first "Dletron" paint job. It's French blue with pink pearl, so it looks lavender. I still have no idea the model or it's exact vintage.

~An early '80's Tom Ritchey road bike. It was in baaaaad shape when I got it in '87. I strippedd the rusty, nasty metallic brown and resprayed it with the colors-of-the-day, ... NEON pink/orange/yellow! With the very first StickFace bicycle badge! I also painted the Campy shift levers to match!

~Rock Lobster #13! When it was originally built in '79 it was not even a R.L., it was hand lettered as a Paul Sadoff. So when I got it, OFF came the old candy purple! Now it has a marbled granite finish with intricate details. I also added the "Gargoyle" StickFace for show purposes.

~Merlin Racing Cycles. Original black & chrome. If I ever even thought of repainting that bike, I think I'd be 86ed from BF's!!!!

~'69 Clive Stuart. Currently it is wearing its 3rd Dr. Deltron finish. Originally the bike was yellow with black decals. Then I painted it yellow with orange lettering. Then back to yellow with black lettering. Now it's pearl white with neon grafitti all over it, including the shift levers & the brake lever bodies!

~'86 Cannondale MTN bike that is done in the original colors; yellow & red, but with an added Dr. Deltron color scheme!

So the "valuable" bikes are likely the ones with "original" finish. But to me they are all the same....

MY bikes!!! ...

To quote an above post....paint 'em if ya got 'em!!

and when it's done, CORKY wil be posted in a docu-blog of its transformation from old beater frame to museum restoration. (one paintjob that is likely to increase the value of the frame!)

Old 04-06-07, 11:27 AM
Rammer
Texas Sec. 545.401

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a pink Schwinn Super Sport nearby for sale with nice paint, but as much as I don't care what others think, I don't want to ride a pink bike. My young impressionable sons wouldn't allow it either. I'm considering to re-paint a different color.

"...any colour that he wants so long as it is black" -Henry Ford

Last edited by Rammer; 04-06-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 08:07 PM
OrangeOkie

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
OO, which in your mind is more fun; patina or a vintage bike that looks better then when it was assembled at the LBS? Once you decide your answer to this question you'll know the path you need to take. If it's a split decision, paint the one in the worse condition.

One response mentions "the history of the patina." Unless you have owned the bike since day one and have been it's only rider, or the previous owner kept a journal of every crash, scrape, wrench knock, screw driver gouge, etc., you can't really know the history of your bike's paint condition. Good luck.
I've really enjoyed the responses to this thread and am happy to see I'm not the only one who is concerned about this question.

I don't have any extra rare frames, but I have a couple of very nice "oldies" such as a 1978 Schwinn Volare and a 1979 Holdsworth. Both are 531, so they hold a special place in my heart. On a scale from 1-10 the original paint is about an 8 on both, so I chose to go with some touch up to protect the scratches. However, I just bought a 76 Super Course II that is more of 6 to 7 with alot of scratches and in need of new decal stripes, (which I just found on ebay.) It's not a particulary rare bike, but it is striking in it's bright green and white patina, plus it's a Carlton. This one could use extensive touch up, or even some respray to really sharpen the contrast between the green and white paint. (I also found some NOS gold Raleigh decals.) So I've been wondering if I should re-paint before re-decaling, or just touch it up then re-decal. Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out over time. No need to rush.
Old 04-07-07, 05:16 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
No need to rush.
From my experience and from what I've read by others who have repainted, it's not a fast experience. I don't believe there are any MAACOs for bike frames! In one morning and back the next afternoon!

A good painter takes his/her time and then you need to take the time building the bike back up correctly. From the time I sent my Paramount to the painter (early March) until I was able to finally ride it (early November), quite a bit of time had passed. It was well worth the wait!

Sounds as if the Super Course is a good candidate for you to experience the joy (and possibly frustration) of a full restoration project. Best of luck!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-07-07, 10:42 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Depends on the bike, some should be preserved due to their uniqueness, but if it is the common Goodwill/garage sale find, go for a respray. Here is a before & after example of one. Early 70s Raleigh Super Course repainted by Acme of Portland, OR that I fitted out with a NOS Shimano 600 group. Owner of my LBS said "They didn't look this good when I sold them new". Don
Wow. That is beautiful! How is it holding up?
Old 04-07-07, 01:31 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Someone who agrees with me about restoration. Granted, I don't think anyone here would want to restore it either.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:us
Old 04-07-07, 06:55 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It depends on the condition. If original and sound, leave it alone. If its beat and getting worse, restore it. If its already been repainted before, why not do it right? Keep in mind professional paint, with repairs, correct decals and detailing usually costs more than the bike is worth. But if you love it, splurge!
Old 04-07-07, 08:39 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well, I'm glad some folks restore their old crocks. Otherwise me and Dr. Deltron would have to get honest jobs.
Old 04-07-07, 08:43 PM
vpiuva

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't worry you two, there's plenty of paint peeled and/or rusty frames out there to go around. Seems like everyone but me can find one in a thrift store or the garbage.
Old 04-07-07, 08:45 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
People who fear painting a bike that needs paint are forgetting why bikes (or cars, or ships, for that matter) are painted in the first place: To keep the bare metal from rusting.
Old 04-12-07, 03:43 PM
edgeofchaos

Bikes: Swiss Army Militärvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1939 Swiss Army Militärvelo (many examples of which can be seen here: https://www.militaerveloshop.ch/ ) which I've been considering repainting. The bike seems to have had previous repainting work done and the paint is fairly uneven. After a lot of agonising about the idea of repainting a vintage bicycle I really feel that it would do a world of good..

But if I'm going to go ahead with this, I want it to be as close to how the original paintwork would have been as possible. I'm considering having the frame & forks shotblasted but following this I really don't know...

What kind of paint was predominantly used on pre 1st world war bicycles? Is shotblasting a bad idea? Any suggestions would be greatly welcome :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.