Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 01:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Matt, 65er's point is that you disassemble each component and polish each piece, and that's unusual.

What do you do to get frames so shiny?

And are acidic cleaners, such as Simple Green, bad on things like anodized aluminum? (Not that you'd have anodized aluminum on an English three-speed!)

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-11-10, 01:07 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Matt, 65er's point is that you disassemble each component and polish each piece, and that's unusual.

What do you do to get frames so shiny?

And are acidic cleaners, such as Simple Green, bad on things like anodized aluminum? (Not that you'd have anodized aluminum on an English three-speed!)

For the frames I just wash them with car soap, then polish them with mequires scratch and wax with Liquid Glass. I put a test aluminum part in undiluted simple green and let it sit for about a day and that really buggered up the finish. I am sure it's fine if you use it then wash it off quickly. I just used dish soap and aluminum polish.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-11-10, 01:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

OK, so would it be a good idea to put some diluted dish soap in a spray bottle and start using that rather than diluted Simple Green?

I'm going to switch from oxalic acid to lemon juice. I'm not cautious enough, and I'm going to kill myself with oxalic. I was making myself cough, and I wasn't using gloves. Also, my workshop is not ventilated.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-11-10, 01:45 PM
Andrew F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and I'm going to kill myself with oxalic. I was making myself cough, and I wasn't using gloves. Also, my workshop is not ventilated.

I don't think ventilating with Central NJ air would change anything but the lemon juice is a good idea....than add a bit vodka and you'll be set.
Old 03-11-10, 02:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yeah, we don't have earthquakes or landslides or severe weather, but we have our pollution!

Old 03-11-10, 02:20 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I've been working on one bike for over 30 years
I don't have any that have been hanging around quite that long, but I do have a helluva back log. I have at least two that are still malingering after 3-4 years.

Sometimes it takes a while to amass the necessary parts, other times other projects just take priority. I do the polish parts thing on some of the bikes I have, the alloy brakes are from my 1971 Twenty the steel ones from the 1964 AMF Hercules.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 03-11-10 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 02:38 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Speaking as someone whose bike is currently a bare frame leaning against a big Tupperware bin full of tiny parts in Ziplock bags, I certainly wish someone would have told me earlier that there was some other option!
Old 03-12-10, 01:00 AM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by waverley610
Hello. I'd like to share a couple of images of my latest acquisition; very new to the vintage bike scene but had so much fun recalling a 1930's BSA last year that I just had to do it all again this time with a 1936 Rudge Whitworth that has a '39 AW hub.

Great Rudge!
Lucky you. North Downs - whereabouts? I am in Abinger Common
Old 03-12-10, 01:17 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
OI'm going to switch from oxalic acid to lemon juice. I'm not cautious enough, and I'm going to kill myself with oxalic. I was making myself cough, and I wasn't using gloves. Also, my workshop is not ventilated.
I am 100% with you on that. I am too carefree with oxalic acid and I noticed how crummy I felt afterwards. This may sound odd, but it was comparable to the feeling of not eating for an entire day. Sort of nauseous with an soreness in your gut. It was enough to get me looking for other options and vinegar seemed friendly enough. Lemon juice and vinegar work just as well actually. I cannot tell a big difference between those two and oxalic acid in use.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-12-10, 03:33 AM
waverley610
waverley610

Bikes: ~ Unknown 1930's double top tube roadster ~ 1954 JAMES Arrow Ace hub geared club machine ~ 1959 All Steel Raleigh ~

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AL NZ
Great Rudge!
Lucky you. North Downs - whereabouts? I am in Abinger Common
Al.

I'm the other side of Dorking in Tadworth. Trouble with living on the downs everywhere is either up or down a bloomin' big hill! Think I was reading you were repatriating soon?
Old 03-12-10, 02:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
A new C&V fan

My daughter Adelaide spotted this 73 Triumph Sports sitting in the shed and asked my to fix it up as a B-day gift. She turned 11 this week. I couldn't be prouder. This is her first test drive around the neighbours circular drive...otherwise she'd have her helmet on. She loves it and wants to ditch the Diamondback mtn bike. Yeah baby.

What a beautiful March day...feels like spring

Attachment 141259
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-12-10, 02:37 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
My daughter Adelaide spotted this 73 Triumph Sports sitting in the shed and asked my to fix it up as a B-day gift. She turned 11 this week. I couldn't be prouder. This is her first test drive around the neighbours circular drive...otherwise she'd have her helmet on. She loves it and wants to ditch the Diamondback mtn bike. Yeah baby.

Attachment 141259
Well done.

I have a 19" lady's Triumph, also a pretty blue, that I was going to give to my mother, but she doesn't want it. My daughter is four; wonder if I can hang onto it for 7 more years.
Likes For gna:
Old 03-12-10, 02:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

A girl after my own heart! She looks great on the bike, and she looks tall, too.

Likes For noglider:
Old 03-12-10, 02:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

Attachment 141259
Have you started shopping for a big bat yet ?

I'd stay away from vintage in this case and look for a good alloy one.

My oldest is daughter is 12...
Old 03-12-10, 02:48 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
here's my "possibly 1951" raleigh DL1. it's an amalgam of various vintage DL1 parts, but when i got it both hubs were date-stamped 1951.

the fenders, chaincase, rack and taillight are consistent with that era, but the frame seems to be a little newer, possibly 60s. there is no detectable serial number. plus, the DARE grips, front brake brackets and pedals date to the 70s. my guess is that the original frame got damaged at some point and the bike got rebuilt with a newer donor frame.
Old 03-12-10, 02:55 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
A girl after my own heart! She looks great on the bike, and she looks tall, too.
She is tall for her age at 5' 4". It's a 19" frame with an unusual pair of very flat North Road bars...no rise, at all. I wanted to take them for a club bike build but she said she liked them so that's that. I'll get them when she grows more.

Have you started shopping for a big bat yet ?

I'd stay away from vintage in this case and look for a good alloy one.

My oldest is daughter is 12...
Sixty-Fiver I'm scared...very scared. Keep me advised on how to deal with it all.
Old 03-12-10, 03:01 PM
AL NZ

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
SHOTGUN
and grow a fearsome "Lemmy from Motorhead" beard
Old 03-12-10, 03:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

She is tall for her age at 5' 4". It's a 19" frame with an unusual pair of very flat North Road bars...no rise, at all. I wanted to take them for a club bike build but she said she liked them so that's that. I'll get them when she grows more.

Sixty-Fiver I'm scared...very scared. Keep me advised on how to deal with it all.

There are online groups of fathers of daughters. I have two daughters (and no sons). They're now 21 and 18. It was scary, but we made it through OK. The older one is now on birth control and hasn't gotten into any trouble except financial. She shouldn't have had a credit card at age 18. The younger one is gay, which makes life safer, relatively.

My only boys are a cat and a dog. We also have a girl cat and a girl dog, though.

Old 03-12-10, 03:15 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I told my daughters that before they started dating I'd be buying a shotgun, chainsaw, and a shovel and that the boys should understand what these were for.

They thought I was hilarious but I wasn't kidding... I also told them they didn't have to worry about this until they were 30.

Old 03-12-10, 03:22 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I told my daughters that before they started dating I'd be buying a shotgun, chainsaw, and a shovel and that the boys should understand what these were for.

They thought I was hilarious but I wasn't kidding... I also told them they didn't have to worry about this until they were 30.
I'm glad I only have a son. I'm even more glad that he's only 8. Unfortunately, the problem with 8-year old boys is that they think a 21-speed fake mountain bike monstrosity is the pinnacle of bicycle engineering (or would be, if only it came equipped with a blaster and a place to carry a light saber).
Old 03-12-10, 03:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I want a light sabre...
Old 03-12-10, 03:30 PM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I want a light sabre...
We have extras.
Old 03-13-10, 10:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by buck mulligan
I'm glad I only have a son. I'm even more glad that he's only 8. Unfortunately, the problem with 8-year old boys is that they think a 21-speed fake mountain bike monstrosity is the pinnacle of bicycle engineering (or would be, if only it came equipped with a blaster and a place to carry a light saber).

This attitude from parents of sons troubles me. If your son impregnates a girl accidentally, it should be his problem as much as hers. If he doesn't think it is, you should make it so. If you're so hands-off, this is why parents of girls fear boys.

I'm not speaking to you but the prevailing attitude.

Old 03-13-10, 10:29 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So, anyway...

I'm having trouble finding decals to go with my girlfriend's Raleigh Sports. I've tried to get ahold of JRrestore, but haven't heard back yet, nor have I heard from cyclart, whom I also emailed. Any other ideas? IT's a '73, and I can find decals from the older (30's-50's) Sports, as well as from other models, but cannot find a late 60's to mid 70's sports decal set.

ETA: As an aside, I find it interesting that the father of a son got ripped on because of supporting prevailing stereotypes, yet all of the fathers of daughters on here are talking about not letting their daughters date, scaring the crap out of their boyfriends and safeguarding their purity like the cure for cancer is in there.

Last edited by mickey85; 03-13-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 10:30 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
double post...weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.