Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do you get a job without a car?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How do you get a job without a car?

Old 03-25-21, 06:21 PM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
I currently am working from home, so I just commute from my bedroom to the room with the computer. But before that I never had any issues getting to work on a bike, where I live is rather small, I don't have to ride more than 10km to get to anywhere.
Old 04-07-21, 05:57 AM
4130NewJersey
Party Pace!!!

Bikes: All City Space Horse GRX, Specialized Fuse Expert, Raleigh Clubman, Fairdale Parser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I work for a small railroad that runs from Camden County, NJ into Philadelahia.....my wife and I purposely moved into a town with a train station so I can take the train right to our headquarters and start my day.
Old 04-17-21, 10:55 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
I lived for 2 years in San Diego, commuting by light rail or bike. If you want to live car free in a big city, living near public transport options is crucial. West coast cities are harder to navigate without, because much of the infrastructure was built in the mid-late 20th century on the basis of everyone owning cars.

Lots of big cities are set up to almost be easier to live carfree than otherwise. My brother isn’t a cyclist, but lives without a car in central London. When I lived in Dublin, I never had a job that I needed to drive to, and in fact it would have been slower to drive to most jobs I had, even if I could have parked at work (I generally couldn’t). I lived in Sydney for a year without ever dreaming of needing a car. My wife’s cousin lives in NYC, no car.
Old 04-19-21, 04:06 AM
LWC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Living in small city in Serbia with few miles of poor cycle paths - every day bike to work - kind of battle sometimes
Old 04-21-21, 06:43 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I've recently interviewed for a few jobs. Employers don't usually ask me how I will get to work. Employers are usually more concerned with my KSAs. I relocated on my own from Denver and Albuquerque. I did interviews on Teams, Skype, Google, and Zoom. The topic never came up. If I needed to be formal dress, I would keep shoes, layer, extra dress shirts, ties, and coats at work and put it on in my office. Have diorderant(SP) with me. It's not like we have to reinvent the wheel. Others have cycled to work. If the distance is a challenge you can always get an ebike. I ride a scooter as my back up.

My new commute will be 18 miles one way, up from 12 miles. A new challenge and new routes to learn.
Old 04-25-21, 06:42 PM
Parkyy16

Bikes: All steel... Breadwinner, Ritchey, Soma, VO, etc.

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Used to bike 2 miles to work, 4 mile round trip before the pandemic. Now I'm working from home until I'm told otherwise. When I lived about a mile away, I'd walk to work a handful of days out of the month, but at 4 miles round trip in Texas heat, it's not as fun as a bike ride.
Old 06-03-21, 12:50 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
With the heat, and humidity coming....whew......

I hate summer!
Old 06-08-21, 08:50 PM
bonjourpanda

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've never had a car but I've always lived/worked in a city. I take public transportation or walk or bike. If you really really need a car for a day you can always take a taxi or rent a vehicle (for moving furniture, or whatever). This might be harder if you're living somewhere with really awful public transport infrastructure though.