Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What's a 2021 Trek FX 4 Sport worth?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-08-22, 06:23 AM
Arete One

Bikes: Trek 7700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's a lightly used 2021 Trek FX 4 Sport for sale. It appears the only mod is Shimano flat pedals. Seller has the receipts from his LBS, so I'm pretty sure it's not stolen. What's a fair price?
Old 09-08-22, 07:55 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
That model is listed as $1819 brand new on Trek's website. So that means after tax and a couple of accessories out the door the guy probably spent $2100 and thinks that's what it's worth. The trouble is that most people who buy a nice bike like this think it retains most of it's value for several years. This is not the case. Also, "lightly used" doesn't really tell us anything about the bike. Any pictures? Anyway, if I was to run across that bike and it was actually "lightly used" and looked to be in close to mint condition I would consider $1300 reasonable. You have to remember, you're buying a late model bike from a private party and any warranty if out the door, you're on your own. Also, how clean it is and where the person stored it is going to tell you a lot about how they took care of it while it was in their hands.

What are they asking for it and can we see some pics?
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 09-08-22, 08:06 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 425 Posts
The other consideration is that they don't make that model anymore, the new FX4 carbon bikes are now gravel bikes with different geometry. So what is reasonable to pay is also driven by that. If you really want this model and it is truly lightly used, you may not get many more opportunities.

I'm very happy with mine, but a feature that drove me to it in the first place was the low stand-over height. It was one of the few size Large Trek bikes that I could stand over, so the value of this bike to me was probably more than for someone with normal length legs.

Mark
Old 09-08-22, 08:43 AM
Arete One

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
His receipts come in at just above $2k. He wants $1700.
Old 09-08-22, 08:44 AM
Arete One

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd post a pic if they'd lift the 10 post requirement.
Old 09-08-22, 08:50 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
You have to remember, you're buying a late model bike from a private party and any warranty if out the door, you're on your own.
I think this is the salient point here. The bike isn't worth MSRP of a new bike, even if the guy quite literally took it home and put it in a closet without riding it a single mile. This is because he received the value of the LBS incentives (rewards points, lifetime tune-ups, whatever else they might do) and he received the value of the lifetime frame warranty from Trek, which applies only to the original owner. As a second owner, you receive none of that value. So you have to weigh what you'd pay for a new one, including those benefits, with what you think you'd spend on a used one.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-08-22, 09:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Yeah, I think the $1300 quoted above is more reasonable. Just like the depreciation a new car gets the second it's driven off the lot, I'd say roughly 2/3 purchase price is a reasonable estimate with no warranty.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-08-22, 12:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9518 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
The bike boon and shortage is also pretty much over, so things aren't as they were in 2020-2021.

I'd offer $1,300 and maybe to to $1,400 if it's in like new condition. If the seller says "no", leave the door open for him to call you back if he later changes his mind.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-08-22, 04:32 PM
Arete One

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are the chances the carbon frame cracks, at least during the time it would be in warranty if I had purchased it new? I've seen a carbon fiber spinnaker pole blow up, so I know it's not likely, but it could happen.
Old 09-08-22, 07:23 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Bike Bluebook says it's worth right at the $1300 others have mentioned. I rated it at Very Good condition because I doubt it's excellent. Even if it is excellent that only adds about $50 extra $$ to the value..

Edit to add for your warranty Q.. Trek warranty only applies to the original owner and it's not transferrable..

I'd offer $1300-1400 max for it and if the seller wants more, walk..

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...oduct/3168161/

Last edited by raqball; 09-08-22 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-09-22, 05:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I didn't know this before looking it up yesterday but, unlike most bike manufacturers, Trek does indeed seem to offer limited warranty coverage for a second or third owner:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/warranty_policy/

It's three years from the date of purchase and you must have the purchase receipt/invoice to prove date of purchase. That three year warranty period, according to their website, covers the frame and fork only.

This is more than most manufacturers offer, but it's still significantly less value than your coverage if bought new.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-09-22, 09:37 AM
Arete One

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And, there's also the consideration that I don't need another bike - my Trek 7700 is doing the job just fine. It's too big for me, because when I bought it, it was on sale to clear inventory and I didn't appreciate the importance of proper sizing, so my handlebars are rotated up towards me as far as they can go and the seat is as far forward as I can get it. So, yeah, I'd like to wind up on something better suited to my size. But until a good deal comes along that makes sense, I've got a ride.
Likes For Arete One:
Old 09-09-22, 09:50 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by Arete One
And, there's also the consideration that I don't need another bike - my Trek 7700 is doing the job just fine. It's too big for me, because when I bought it, it was on sale to clear inventory and I didn't appreciate the importance of proper sizing, so my handlebars are rotated up towards me as far as they can go and the seat is as far forward as I can get it. So, yeah, I'd like to wind up on something better suited to my size. But until a good deal comes along that makes sense, I've got a ride.
If you are in no rush then you can just order a 2023 FX Sport 4 for the about same price the seller wants for his used 2021..

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ort-4/p/35785/

When I ordered my 2023 FX Sport 6 I put 10% down and got on the wait list. Took a few months to come in but the wait was worth it as right after I placed my special order, Trek raised their prices on it by $300.. I got mine for $2499 and it's now listed for $2799..

Moral? If you think you want a new FX Sport 4 then order it now and wait to lock in the price. If you order from a Trek Corporate store, like I did, then you can just cancel the order anytime and get fully refunded.. Not sure if an LBS that sells Treks would allow cancellation and refund but Trek Corporate stores do..

Good luck whatever you decide..
Old 09-09-22, 10:03 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
quick stop at a Trek store and took a quick look at a new FX Sport - I was impressed

there was an older model also on display - appears the current version has seen significant changes (?) compared to previous model ... current model appears to be more 'all purpose' - than the prev version that appeared to lean more toward road (?)
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-09-22, 10:12 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by t2p
quick stop at a Trek store and took a quick look at a new FX Sport - I was impressed

there was an older model also on display - appears the current version has seen significant changes (?) compared to previous model ... current model appears to be more 'all purpose' - than the prev version that appeared to lean more toward road (?)
Yeah the new models are more Gravel oriented / designed. My 2023 FX Sport 6 is mainly used on tarmac (90%) and light gravel / hardpack (10%).. It does fantastic and I have no complaints whatsoever with it. It's fast and smooth rolling on both. Not sure it would be great on anything tougher than light gravel though but I admittedly have not tried it to say for sure..
Old 09-11-22, 05:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I bought my wife the same model used for $1200. It's a great bike, I changed out the wheels for some Aeolus Pro 37's and since we are in a very flat region, a 14-28 cassette. The bike looked brand new, the old owner only had it for 6 months and decided to upgrade to a drop bar gravel bike.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-12-22, 11:17 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Makes me want to stick with old steel.....2K down to $1300?

Maybe I could get a Fargo for that...........