Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is chain waxing worth the time and expense?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 07:57 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

While I am very diligent and meticulous at cleaning and maintaining my bike I lubricate my chain with the traditional squirt bottle. I have seen the waxing and hot-wax discussions but is seems like overkill to me. I have tried 3-4 various chain lube products and they perform well in my opinion. I don’t want to get into product promotions or brand loyalty on this thread.

But, is there any advantage to waxing bike chains?
Old 02-07-23, 08:13 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If you have a cheap drivetrain and don't care about a couple of watts? Waste of time.

Expensive drivetrain? Real cost savings.

Expensive would be $400 cassettes and $881 chain ring sets. Cheap would be $40 cassettes and $100 rings in my book
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-07-23, 08:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
YMMV.

IME, chain waxing didn't extend the life of my chains over oil (wet lube as the youngsters would say), and it was extra hassle to re-wax after every rain or twice as frequently as re-lubing with oil required. So for me, no. Waxing was not worth it.
Old 02-07-23, 08:26 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I have waxed in the past and ended up not liking it. My experience was pretty much the same as pdlambs in post #3. My best advice is to try it yourself as chain lube discussions can get more contentious than politics and religion with many different views plus different riding conditions and habits which can make a difference as to what works for YOU. I have a specific lube and cleaning routine that is very different than my buddy's and we both dislike each others choice but we're each happy with what we have chosen.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 02-07-23 at 08:38 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-07-23, 08:46 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Thousand threads on this forum concerning chain lube. Just do a search.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-07-23, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Chains lubrication and chain cleaning are far closer to incantations than science. The elaborate cleaning regimes that many people use have no basis in anything other than the need to make something overly complicated. If you are using more than one step…shaking for about 30 seconds in about 1/2 cup of mineral spirits…you are wasting your time. There’s no need to preface that step with degreasers nor to follow that step with more degreasers, water, alcohol, or unicorn urine. Considering that the chain comes from the factory with a wax based lubricant on it…it’s not “grease”…you could just put the chain into a pot of hot wax and go. Hot wax is a solvent on its own and the soft wax used for the factory lubricant is beneficial to most hard waxes used for chain lubrication.

Riding in rain and lubrication is also rife with bad information. Any rain ride should be followed by chain lubrication, no matter what kind of lubricant you use. Oil isn’t impervious to water, it just happens to flow and mask the problem that the lack of flow by wax doesn’t. In other words, water cause rust and oil just covers up the problem. It doesn’t solve the problem, its the equivalent of turning up the radio so that you don’t hear it.

Longevity of wax isn’t nearly the problem that many people make it out to be, either. A waxed chain is a bit louder, especially to people used to the masking of sound of oil. But once you get used to the sound, a waxed chain goes last for a lot more miles than most people think.

I don’t use hot wax. I tried it in the past and found it to be too much of a hassle. I use solvent wax but I get up to 700 miles between application. I get around 3500 miles per chain which is on a par with what most people report. My chains get cleaned once and never come off the bike again until they are worn out. I don’t have to clean up oily messes all the time and I can touch my chain without looking like the Gulf Coast after the BP oil spill. It’s liberating not to have to clean all the time. Here’s what my fingers look like after rubbing against my drivetrain without special cleaning.

2013-07-26 08.06.29 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

And this is what my drivetrain looks like in the middle of winter without special cleaning

IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
IMG_1153 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Again, I don’t hot wax. But solvent based wax is just as simple as oil and just as effective. It’s just a whole lot cleaner.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-07-23, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
When you look through all the other threads and read the posts of those that do and those that don't, then you'll see that both groups have people that swear by their methods, but get shorter chain life than those in the other group. And some that get fantastic life out of their chains in both groups.

So do the method that works for you and you enjoy doing.

I much prefer not have to fiddle with my bike. When I have time for my bike, I'd rather be riding.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-23, 10:41 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
While I am very diligent and meticulous at cleaning and maintaining my bike ...

But, is there any advantage to waxing bike chains?
Personally, the biggest advantage of immersion waxing is chain and drivetrain cleanliness.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-07-23, 10:56 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Personally, the biggest advantage of immersion waxing is chain and drivetrain cleanliness.
+1

I hot wax about every 300 miles: just put the chain in the electric pot, set temperature to 92C, leave it for 1 hour.
Using my own cheap wax mix from Amazon.

I really like the fact my bike doesn't shed oil on anything.
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 02-07-23, 11:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
For those that wax their chain, I have a question. If you think wax is a lube, what other machines that you know of uses wax as a lube??
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-07-23, 11:17 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by rydabent
For those that wax their chain, I have a question. If you think wax is a lube, what other machines that you know of uses wax as a lube??
Motorcycles and chainsaws, which coincidentally also have chains.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-07-23, 11:19 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I've used Squirt to good effect.
I've used Molten Speed Wax to good effect.
In all honesty, I think I prefer Molten. Squirt doesn't seem to flake off the chain carrying contaminants away with it as readily. So, the chain & cassette can get a little grimy necessitating a toothbrush scrub every once in a while.

The real pain is the initial clean. But even then, it's not hard. Per Molten: 3 dips in OMS, then some dips in DNA to rinse. It's a bit over-kill but was written as part of the Zero Friction Cyclings experiments test method for data collection. Not because that cleaning method is actually necessary for real life. Experiments need clearly defined, repeatable methods to be valid.

Any comprehensive cleaning with degreaser in a chain cleaning tool followed by a fresh water rinse & thorough drying ought to be "good-enough" to get going with wax IRL.

With Squirt drip-wax the key is proper penetration. Per the instructions on the bottle: Run the chain backwards for a bit, then re-apply to ensure it gets inside the chain, then let the water evaporate from the emulsion. This is something ZFC did not do. He mis-used it used as if were a drip-on oil lube. Unsurprisingly, the test results show abysmal results for this compelling MSW competitor. But published test-method is published test-method so I hardly fault him for that. This is why all proper lab reports have a discussions & analysis section to identify problems & suggestions for continuing research before the conclusion.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-07-23, 11:32 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The advantage of waxing is not that it lubricates better than oil. It doesn't. Nor does it last longer than oil. The advantage is that it is clean. It doesn't leave a black mark on your pants or socks and it doesn't leave a black chain ring tattoo on your calf if you accidentally touch the chain ring. It doesn't splash or drip oil all over your chain stay neither.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-07-23, 12:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Motorcycles and chainsaws, which coincidentally also have chains.
I was using a foresters stihl 261c.

I did not see where to add wax. I did see where to add bar and chain oil.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 02-07-23, 12:56 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
It takes 15 minutes, most of which is the wax melting.

A lifetime supply if wax is $30.

What time and expense?
Old 02-07-23, 01:00 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The advantage of waxing is not that it lubricates better than oil. It doesn't. Nor does it last longer than oil. The advantage is that it is clean. It doesn't leave a black mark on your pants or socks and it doesn't leave a black chain ring tattoo on your calf if you accidentally touch the chain ring. It doesn't splash or drip oil all over your chain stay neither.
Parafin wax is the lowest watt eating chain lubricant in every test I've seen.
Old 02-07-23, 01:05 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by rydabent
What makes you think there are many devices that operate at the low power and temps of bicycles, yet have open drivetrains?

Last edited by Kontact; 02-07-23 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-07-23, 01:07 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I would like to try wax one day.

If a wax is applied wet and it’s solvents evaporate, I bet it’s just clear Thomson’s in a different container.
Old 02-07-23, 01:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Considering that the chain comes from the factory with a wax based lubricant on it…it’s not “grease”…you could just put the chain into a pot of hot wax and go. Hot wax is a solvent on its own and the soft wax used for the factory lubricant is beneficial to most hard waxes used for chain lubrication.
How does the factory lubricant make paraffin wax better?
Old 02-07-23, 01:28 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
"Is chain waxing worth the time and expense?"

It is absolutely worth my time and money. It is absolutely not worth my brother-in-law's time or money. Who are you?

Friction and chain wear for many lubricants has been measured and well documented.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 02-07-23, 01:49 PM
Kontact 

How does the factory lubricant make paraffin wax better?
Rust resistance - especially in the package.
Old 02-07-23, 02:16 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I wax my chains. It's a lot less work, but it requires a system to be less work. Building up that system is somewhat expensive (not really) and tedious, but once I got mine done it cut my workload to a fraction of what it was.

The system requires a slow cooker, some sort of chain sorting system so you don't mix chains between bikes, multiple chains per bike, connex quick links and some tools (hooks made of spokes, pliers, quick link pliers etc.)

I have three bikes in active rotation, four in the defrosted months. My wife has three bikes in active rotation and I maintain all of them. Before I'd be cleaning and lubing a chain almost every day or spend hours doing them all at once. Quite often I'd get word of a squeaky chain after my wife got home from work and I'd have time to address it somewhere around 9pm. Had to be done the same day, because the wife needs the bike for work the next day. So I'd be faffing about with a chain cleaner or endless rags, heavy duty detergents or solvents, drying the chain, lubing the chain, wiping it down forever until the rag comes off showing some semblance of cleanliness. And repeat in two days for the same bike even with wettest of lubes as oils don't do well with salt slush.

Also, chain cleaners suck. They suck even if you put gasoline in them.

With waxing if I get word that a chain is making noise, I go in the shed, take a chain off the ready peg, swap it and put the used chain in the waxing queue. Once a month or two (or three it would seem) I pop all the used chains in the slow cooker, let them sit in the wax for a while, lift them out and sort to the correct pegs after they've cooled. During the wait times I can adjust brakes or what have you.

I developed a wax that survives water and salt pretty well so it'll go a week of commuting on salted wet roads before the need to swap. Or 20 hours of wet mountain biking. Tests are ongoing but it seems really promising.

The advantages of waxing to me are
1) less workload
2) cleanliness (this is huge when you have a toddler who is obsessed with drivetrains)
3) less wear apparently
4) no more chain suck
5) no more sticky chains wrapping themselves around front derailleurs
6) no more chain cleaning
7) less chain friction apparently

Cons
1) immersion waxing is difficult on tour. Still working that one out but perhaps a double boiler...
2) surface rust. The outside of the chain can get rusty. Luckily it's what's on the inside that counts. My testing has shown that a completely orange chain can be pristine on the inside as the wax stays put there.

With one bike waxing is meh. With a lot of bikes, definitely an improvement.
Old 02-07-23, 03:10 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I wax my chains. It's a lot less work, but it requires a system to be less work. Building up that system is somewhat expensive (not really) and tedious, but once I got mine done it cut my workload to a fraction of what it was.

The system requires a slow cooker, some sort of chain sorting system so you don't mix chains between bikes, multiple chains per bike, connex quick links and some tools (hooks made of spokes, pliers, quick link pliers etc.)
You don't really need a slow cooker. You can do it over your stove too.
Also- you don't really need to slow-cook the chain every time. After the first time, I just use drip wax. I think it's just as good. Just make sure the drip wax is not too cold. Warm the bottle up in hot water if needs be. If you want to be thorough, you can take the chain off, immerse it in drip wax inside a zip lock bag, and put the zip lock bag somewhere warm so it can penetrate the chain.
Old 02-07-23, 03:10 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It doesn't leave a black mark on your pants or socks and it doesn't leave a black chain ring tattoo on your calf if you accidentally touch the chain ring. It doesn't splash or drip oil all over your chain stay neither.
Why would either of those things happen on a properly lubricated chain?? If either happened--especially "splashing and dripping oil," you're definitely doing it wrong.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-07-23, 03:19 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by elcruxio

I have three bikes in active rotation, four in the defrosted months. My wife has three bikes in active rotation and I maintain all of them. Before I'd be cleaning and lubing a chain almost every day or spend hours doing them all at once. Quite often I'd get word of a squeaky chain after my wife got home from work and I'd have time to address it somewhere around 9pm. Had to be done the same day, because the wife needs the bike for work the next day. So I'd be faffing about with a chain cleaner or endless rags, heavy duty detergents or solvents, drying the chain, lubing the chain, wiping it down forever until the rag comes off showing some semblance of cleanliness. And repeat in two days for the same bike even with wettest of lubes as oils don't do well with salt slush.

Also, chain cleaners suck. They suck even if you put gasoline in them.

With waxing if I get word that a chain is making noise, I go in the shed, take a chain off the ready peg, swap it and put the used chain in the waxing queue. Once a month or two (or three it would seem) I pop all the used chains in the slow cooker, let them sit in the wax for a while, lift them out and sort to the correct pegs after they've cooled. During the wait times I can adjust brakes or what have you.

I developed a wax that survives water and salt pretty well so it'll go a week of commuting on salted wet roads before the need to swap. Or 20 hours of wet mountain biking. Tests are ongoing but it seems really promising.

The advantages of waxing to me are
1) less workload
2) cleanliness (this is huge when you have a toddler who is obsessed with drivetrains)
3) less wear apparently
4) no more chain suck
5) no more sticky chains wrapping themselves around front derailleurs
6) no more chain cleaning
7) less chain friction apparently

Cons
1) immersion waxing is difficult on tour. Still working that one out but perhaps a double boiler...
2) surface rust. The outside of the chain can get rusty. Luckily it's what's on the inside that counts. My testing has shown that a completely orange chain can be pristine on the inside as the wax stays put there.

With one bike waxing is meh. With a lot of bikes, definitely an improvement.
You are working way too hard. Wax displaces other lubricants. Melt on stovetop, let chain drip/cool, put back on bike. Do it for that bike when it needs it. No sorting.
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.