Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is chain waxing worth the time and expense?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is chain waxing worth the time and expense?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 09:05 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
If you put the chain in a small sauce pan on the stovetop on the lowest setting and put the puck of wax on top of the chain, 7 minutes later when the puck has fully liquified the chain is at full temp and you take it off the heat. Nothing has time to overheat and there is no soak time necessary because the chain gets hot, first. It is impossible to screw up, unless you can't stand 7 minutes of doing something else in the kitchen.
What happens after? Does the wax come out of the saucepan as liquid or solid form? If solid, how do you get it out? If liquid, where do you store it and how does it come out of that container?

That's also a lot of hassle compared to just swapping a chain. And I don't want wax on my kitchen surfaces. That stuff is difficult to clean off induction stoves.
Old 02-08-23, 09:15 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by smd4
I just ran my chain, one revolution of the cranks, while grasping it with some white TP. OK, there's a little, barely visible residue. Hard to see in most light. Wouldn't come off when I just used my hand. Definitely not "black and gunky." Which, if this is what you're seeing, makes me think you don't know what a properly-lubed chain should look like.

Yeah... as you've suggested, I really don't need to clean my chain that often. One really deep-cleaning actually, since it was installed. But when things start looking a little black, I'll take it off and clean it, while at the same time thoroughly cleaning the cogs, RD pulleys, chainrings and crank.

In my years at the bike shop, it was my experience that even so-called "knowledgeable" cyclists use WAY too much oil on their chains. I'll say that again: WAY. TOO. MUCH. OIL. I guess it falls under the adage of, if a little is good, lots must be way better.
With wax I'm so happy I never have to do that again. Cleaning chainrings, cassettes and pulley wheels is A LOT of work. And requires some pretty nasty solvents too. Properly set black gunk doesn't come off even with pine oil detergents. Brake cleaner and gasoline had to be used. But that's wet lube for you.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-08-23, 09:20 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Cleaning chainrings, cassettes and pulley wheels is A LOT of work.
Well, maybe for you.
Old 02-08-23, 09:33 AM
elcruxio

Well, maybe for you.
Well I like to get them actually clean.

Also I ride in a place that gets weather so I can't use dry lubes with near zero lubrication properties. If I used a dry lube that's 99.5% solvent I'd have a seized chain by the time I arrived to my destination.

You seem to mean well but you lack of experience just eats away all credibility.
Old 02-08-23, 09:48 AM
smd4

You seem to mean well but you lack of experience just eats away all credibility.
What's with this silly argument that I can't have an opinion about something unless I've tried the opposite of what I have an opinion about? Why on earth would I ever need to try wax lube if what I use is perfectly fine? Why would I ever need to try disc brakes if my rim brakes are perfectly fine? I've never ridden a motorcycle. Why can't I have the opinion that I don't want to ride one?

Listen...Go ahead and use a slow cooker or a food processor or an Insta-pot or whatever and heat up your wax, dip your chains and make candles. Have at it. Have you tried beeswax?

I am fine with using Triflow on my chain. My chains aren't messy. They aren't dripping or splattering black 40-weight on my chainstays and carpets and socks. I get that you cannot comprehend how this is possible, because it sounds like you've never understood how to properly lubricate a chain. But I assure you, it is. And I really don't give a damn what you think about my "credibility."
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-08-23, 09:54 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Switching to a Catrike recumbent trike on bad arthritis days and finding my calf/clothes get marked by that very long bike chain, times 3 length, I switched to solvent wax and am very happy with the results. Still early but wear rate looks good to date and being retired I take the time to keep my bikes spotless and the trike was much more work with my homebrew when compared to my uprights.
Old 02-08-23, 10:03 AM
elcruxio

What's with this silly argument that I can't have an opinion about something unless I've tried the opposite of what I have an opinion about? Why on earth would I ever need to try wax lube if what I use is perfectly fine? Why would I ever need to try disc brakes if my rim brakes are perfectly fine? I've never ridden a motorcycle. Why can't I have the opinion that I don't want to ride one?

Listen...Go ahead and use a slow cooker or a food processor or an Insta-pot or whatever and heat up your wax, dip your chains and make candles. Have at it. Have you tried beeswax?

I am fine with using Triflow on my chain. My chains aren't messy. They aren't dripping or splattering black 40-weight on my chainstays and carpets and socks. I get that you cannot comprehend how this is possible, because it sounds like you've never understood how to properly lubricate a chain. But I assure you, it is. And I really don't give a damn what you think about my "credibility."
Are you ok? I think you're imagining things. There hasn't been a single word in this thread about your opinions.

But I do find it funny that you declare your way of lubrication as the only correct one when you have no experience about riding in tough conditions. If you can get by with a lube that's essentially solvent with ptfe mixed then that's fine and you get a lot of sunshine. But the rest of the world gets weather. Where wet lubes are sometimes required.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-08-23, 10:22 AM
smd4

I do find it funny that you declare your way of lubrication as the only correct one.
Are you ok? I think you're imagining things.

Where did I ever say that??
Old 02-08-23, 10:26 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
What is the deal with anti-waxers? Someone wants to know if it is worth the time and expense. Triflow and WD40-type zealots should stay in their own lane. It is just lube.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-08-23, 10:41 AM
elcruxio

Are you ok? I think you're imagining things.

Where did I ever say that??
It's pretty clear from context. Otherwise why are you here? Just randomly rambling and raving about how you chains don't get dirty? Wouldn't that be something...
Old 02-08-23, 10:58 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Because at BF we don't already have numerous threads already covering chain waxing. If only the OP knew how use the search function.
Old 02-08-23, 11:02 AM
smd4

It's pretty clear from context. Otherwise why are you here? Just randomly rambling and raving about how you chains don't get dirty? Wouldn't that be something...
Why are you here? To explain that you need an entire "system" in order to make waxing your chains less work?
Old 02-08-23, 11:02 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4341 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
What happens after? Does the wax come out of the saucepan as liquid or solid form? If solid, how do you get it out? If liquid, where do you store it and how does it come out of that container?

That's also a lot of hassle compared to just swapping a chain. And I don't want wax on my kitchen surfaces. That stuff is difficult to clean off induction stoves.
You put the chain in the pan outside followed by the wax. Bring inside to heat. When liquid, carry pan back outside and suspend chain above pan to drip.

When cool, mount chain. When the wax in the pan is cool, the puck pulls away from the sides of the pan and will fall out with a inverted tap.

I put a twist tie through the middle chain link to extract the chain and hang it over the pot.

Zero indoor mess. Possibly zero outdoor mess if you are careful lifting the chain out to hook it above the pot. Suspending the chain seems to leave the right amount of wax, but there will be some flaking for the first mile.

No mess, no pouring liquid wax, no planning, 15 minutes of time, not counting cooling. If I had a ride in 30 minutes I would do it - just mount the chain before riding out the door.
Old 02-08-23, 11:17 AM
elcruxio

Why are you here? To explain that you need an entire "system" in order to make waxing your chains less work?
Do you know what this topic is? It's about whether waxing is worth the time or expense. Before you arrived to ruin everyone's day I was trying to expain the method I use in order for the OP to decide whether waxing indeed was worth it.

Your comments about how everyone but you is using drip lubes wrong were offtopic and just plain unhelpful. A negative contribution. Just go away. Find a topic where you can actually contribute. Though I imagine you'll find that difficult.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-08-23, 01:18 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The chain lube/chain maintenance threads on BF are sometimes entertaining, sometimes nonsense and worthless, sometimes a little bit useful (maybe), and almost always full of disagreement.

When it comes to chain maintenance, Sheldon had a wonderful grasp of the passion the subject generates. Here's an introduction to a chain maintenance article he wrote for his website:

"Chain maintenance is one of the most controversial aspects of bicycle mechanics. Chain durability is affected by riding style, gear choice, whether the bicycle is ridden in rain or snow, type of soil in the local terrain, type of lubricant, lubrication techniques, and the sizes and condition of the bicycle's sprockets. Because there are so many variables, it has not been possible to do controlled experiments under real-world conditions. As a result, everybody's advice about chain maintenance is based on anecdotal "evidence" and experience. Experts disagree on this subject, sometimes bitterly. This is sometimes considered a "religious" matter in the bicycle community, and much vituperative invective has been uttered in this regard between different schismatic cults.

This article is based on my personal and professional experience and my own theories. If you disagree with them, I won't call you a fool or a villain, you may be right. I hope you will extend me the same courtesy." - Sheldon Brown
Likes For well biked:
Old 02-08-23, 02:14 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I much prefer not have to fiddle with my bike. When I have time for my bike, I'd rather be riding.
Nice! That's nearly Ben Franklin-like!
Old 02-08-23, 02:18 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
It takes 15 minutes, most of which is the wax melting.

A lifetime supply if wax is $30.

What time and expense?
Perhaps I've not seem accomplished as simply as you describe.
Old 02-09-23, 08:26 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by rbrides
Perhaps I've not seem accomplished as simply as you describe.
It's just chain lube. Not making microchips in a clean room.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-09-23, 01:39 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The bandsaw I used in the staff shop at work wasn’t small. We used wax sticks like this. Cut aluminum, steel, and plastic.
That makes sense. My employer has a vertical bandsaw probably similar to what you are talking about. It’s in another department so I’ve never used it. It’s got a thin blade and I think it can be used almost like a stationary scroll saw. I don’t know much about it.

The band saw I used a lot was very big and was for structural steel.
Old 02-09-23, 10:41 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
I just received an order of tungsten disulfide powder to add to my bulk wax. After 45 years of cleaning chains, I'm finally giving immersion wax a try.

Rode for two weeks in France in May. Out of 20 of us, one rider had a simply IMMACULATE drive train. I quickly noticed and asked him "Are you using immersion wax?" "Oh yeah!" was his answer. He didn't lubricate his chain once, his drive train stayed immaculate and everything on his bike was quiet. This was over the span of 2 weeks and about 400 miles ridden. With only two days of rain, so it's not like our drive trains were soaked the whole time.

Ironically, I had replaced my tandem chains before the trip. I've been using Dumonde Tech for about 20 years now and their chain lube requires complete degreasing of new chains. Which I dutifully did. However, I've always been frustrated with the myriad new little squeaks that emerge after doing this the initial time.* So it's a matter of re-lubing and re-lubing until all the squeaks are gone. Well, hilariously, our chain NEVER stopped doing this for our entire ride. After every re-lubing, we'd ride a few miles and when we hit a quiet stretch, I'd hear it again and complain to my stoker, "DAMMIT! It's squeaking AGAIN!" Ha, ha, the trials & tribulations of chain care.

So I'm finally going "all-in." We'll see how things take shape. It turns out that the Shimano 10-speed DuraAce chain I removed shifted like a DREAM! But that came off and I replaced it with a KMC 10-speed. Wow, it SUCKS! We suffered crappy shifting the whole trip. I have new XTR chain to install, so it's back to Shimano and with wax. Hoping the shifting perfection returns to what it was (I was so blown away at how perfectly and flawlessly it shifted, despite the STI levers & derailleurs being over 10 years old). Still haven't decided if I'm gonna augment the immersion with some of the newer, and very expensive liquid waxes on the market. I've used 'em all since White Lightning, so not sure if I'm gonna drink the Kool Aid on Ceramic Speed, Silca or any of the other boutique liquid waxes.

Big thanks to everyone who has added their $0.02 to YET ANOTHER chain lubing thread! Informative and hilarious, as expected!

*Which is why I'm vociferously opposed to regular degreasing and overly-obsessive chain maintenance shenanigans. Especially when it involves gasoline! Don't get me started!

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 02-09-23 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-10-23, 03:54 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Context: Mostly commuting and utility in Houston so home every day and frequent unavoidable rain.

Immersion Waxing Time: 11 minutes consisting of 3 minutes to plug in crock pot, remove chain using quick link tool, wipe chain with paper towel and set chain on top of solid wax. Go away and live life and come back 1-2 hours later. 8 minutes to swish and fish chain out of partially melted wax, wipe off excess with paper towel, air cool to touch, remount on bike and test ride. And unplug crockpot….

Frequency: When I hear squeaking or after rain exposure (because it is going to squeak). Sometimes months, sometimes days.

Cost: $15 dedicated crockpot. Canning wax and lantern oil replaced when it looks too dirty (over 2 years) so less than $10/ replacement. Biggest “cost” is dedicated space on workbench for crockpot.

Worth it? For my context the cleanliness is worth it to me.

After about 90 minutes the wax is melted enough to swish chain and pull it out. Wax is at melting temperature.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 02-10-23, 04:20 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by flangehead
Context: Mostly commuting and utility in Houston so home every day and frequent unavoidable rain.

Immersion Waxing Time: 11 minutes consisting of 3 minutes to plug in crock pot, remove chain using quick link tool, wipe chain with paper towel and set chain on top of solid wax. Go away and live life and come back 1-2 hours later. 8 minutes to swish and fish chain out of partially melted wax, wipe off excess with paper towel, air cool to touch, remount on bike and test ride. And unplug crockpot….

Frequency: When I hear squeaking or after rain exposure (because it is going to squeak). Sometimes months, sometimes days.

Cost: $15 dedicated crockpot. Canning wax and lantern oil replaced when it looks too dirty (over 2 years) so less than $10/ replacement. Biggest “cost” is dedicated space on workbench for crockpot.

Worth it? For my context the cleanliness is worth it to me.

After about 90 minutes the wax is melted enough to swish chain and pull it out. Wax is at melting temperature.
Lantern oil????
Old 02-10-23, 07:34 AM
elcruxio

Lantern oil????
Probably paraffin oil. I hope.

Anyways going with just canning wax works better. It's unintuitive, but to a point a harder wax stays better and protects the chain better than a softer wax. The wax inside the chain does not redistribute so softening it with oil only makes it perform worse. A hard wax creates a thin layer of wax inside the chain that won't abrade off easily. A soft wax will just wipe off leaving the chain unprotected.

A soft wax is going to be more clingy and won't flake off as easily. It'll stay on the outside of the chain better, creating an illusion of better protection against moisture and rust. A hard wax will flake off the outside making the chain rust faster. But outside surface rust isn't really what we should be interested in. It's the inside that counts.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-10-23, 10:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Probably paraffin oil. I hope.
Probably.

Anyways going with just canning wax works better. It's unintuitive, but to a point a harder wax stays better and protects the chain better than a softer wax. The wax inside the chain does not redistribute so softening it with oil only makes it perform worse. A hard wax creates a thin layer of wax inside the chain that won't abrade off easily. A soft wax will just wipe off leaving the chain unprotected.

A soft wax is going to be more clingy and won't flake off as easily. It'll stay on the outside of the chain better, creating an illusion of better protection against moisture and rust. A hard wax will flake off the outside making the chain rust faster. But outside surface rust isn't really what we should be interested in. It's the inside that counts.
I disagree. Let’s start with the fact that factory lubricant is a soft wax, not a hard wax. If a hard wax worked better, manufacturers would use it instead. A soft wax has at least a partial chance of flowing back into the gaps which isn’t something a harder wax can do. A softer wax will also not slough off the outer surface of the chain as readily which provides at least some protection from surface rust. Paraffin oil wouldn’t be my first choice of additives to soften hard wax but it wouldn’t do any harm. Petroleum jelly would be a better choice.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-10-23, 10:47 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Probably.

I disagree. Let’s start with the fact that factory lubricant is a soft wax, not a hard wax. If a hard wax worked better, manufacturers would use it instead. A soft wax has at least a partial chance of flowing back into the gaps which isn’t something a harder wax can do. A softer wax will also not slough off the outer surface of the chain as readily which provides at least some protection from surface rust. Paraffin oil wouldn’t be my first choice of additives to soften hard wax but it wouldn’t do any harm. Petroleum jelly would be a better choice.
Manufacturers have other concerns, like storage and rust.

Hard wax doesn't stay hard. Pin friction causes it to liquify and flow as needed. If not the waxed chain would squeak in 10 miles, not 300.

Solutions to non problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.