Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Zize Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-22, 12:04 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Zize Bikes

I saw they made a 26 Inch Wheel bike. But they make bikes for very large people. Someone was saying their components are cheap implying the bike was not safe.

I have no idea who makes bikes that support this much weight.

Here is just a random google search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=zize...t=gws-wiz-serp

I am not large and have no need for a bike that supports a lot of weight. It was the 26 inch wheel size that led me to the bike being surprised they still make 26 inch wheeled bikes.
Old 11-20-22, 07:17 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I saw they made a 26 Inch Wheel bike. But they make bikes for very large people. Someone was saying their components are cheap implying the bike was not safe.

I am not large and have no need for a bike that supports a lot of weight. It was the 26 inch wheel size that led me to the bike being surprised they still make 26 inch wheeled bikes.

The specs are pretty vague. 36 spokes is good but a better quality 32 spoke is stronger. I dunno what the deal is, but a 550lb weight limit is serious. So are the weights of the bikes!!! 70 lbs on the leaf.
Old 11-21-22, 12:29 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
53 Pounds is the weight of the bike. Occasionally I see some guys on the NCR that weight 350+.

They never would have lasted on a bike, but I had two relatives that were that big. One was 6'6". He weighed 400 Pounds, and had a size 16 Shoe......

I was a fatty pushing 170 over the pandemic, thankfully I trimmed back down to 160.......was even lighter before the pandemic. Svelte.....

The market for these bikes has to be small.
Old 11-21-22, 05:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by BillinPA
The specs are pretty vague. 36 spokes is good but a better quality 32 spoke is stronger. I dunno what the deal is, but a 550lb weight limit is serious. So are the weights of the bikes!!! 70 lbs on the leaf.
I think you are reading the shipping weight instead of the bike weight but I agree that the bikes are overly heavy. 53 lbs for a steel framed bike is way over built. I don’t see how they can even get the bike to that weight. What do they use, solid steel rod for the frame?

I also find it odd that the electric Leaf has a claimed weight that is the same as the nonelectric Leaf.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-21-22, 07:55 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I think you are reading the shipping weight instead of the bike weight but I agree that the bikes are overly heavy. 53 lbs for a steel framed bike is way over built. I don’t see how they can even get the bike to that weight. What do they use, solid steel rod for the frame?

I also find it odd that the electric Leaf has a claimed weight that is the same as the nonelectric Leaf.

You are correct, I read the along line. But 53 is damn heavy. I imagine the internal gear hub contributes to it.
That is a serious claim to withstand 550 lbs55I would like to see one in person.
Old 11-22-22, 05:41 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

You are correct, I read the along line. But 53 is damn heavy. I imagine the internal gear hub contributes to it.
That is a serious claim to withstand 550 lbs55I would like to see one in person.
I don’t see an internal gear hub. The bike I’m looking at is the Yonder which is a 1x11 mountain bike. I don’t see anything on the bike that should make it weigh 20+ more pounds than a similarly equipped bike.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-22-22, 06:16 PM
BillinPA

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t see an internal gear hub. The bike I’m looking at is the Yonder which is a 1x11 mountain bike. I don’t see anything on the bike that should make it weigh 20+ more pounds than a similarly equipped bike.
The Leaf XG shows two pictures, one with derailleur, one of an internal hub. In any event neither equates to that weight..
maybe they have lead shot in the frame to keep it from blowing away
Old 11-22-22, 10:50 PM
cyccommute 

The Leaf XG shows two pictures, one with derailleur, one of an internal hub. In any event neither equates to that weight..
maybe they have lead shot in the frame to keep it from blowing away
A Surly Krate Monkey is similar to the Yonder in equipment and geometry. The weight of a Krate Monkey is 25 lbs. I find that weight astonishing since the frame weighs almost 9 lbs. That says to me that the Yonder frame must weight 37 lbs. Did they use schedule 40 pipe? Is this a try “gas pipe” bike?

Old 04-05-23, 04:43 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker

I haven't checked this year but Walmart was just full of 26" wheeled bikes last year. They sell 700c bikes and 650B bikes but they also sell lots of 26" bikes. Older style cruiser bikes, think Schwinn cantilever, are sold in 26" in the cheaper versions. Unlike the 27" wheel the 26" is not dying out in America. By the way the 27" wheel is extremely popular to this day in India which has a bicycle market that probably dwarfs the Americas market. There are lots of folks who are very derisive of Walmart bikes but the streets of my town are full of these low end bikes being ridden around.