Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Boost 36h hubs

Old 03-04-23, 11:49 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Boost 36h hubs

I've never had great luck with rims with 32 holes or less. The one set of 36h rims i put tougher could go a couple thousand miles+ without needing trued. But now i'm on a new bike with a new standards and I'm having troubles finding a disk hub with 148x12 and 36 holes. Shimano's website list a hubs with this spec, but the LBS said they don't exist in the Shimano's ordering system. I didn't any mid/low end hubs online from reputable sources either. I ended up buying a set of 650b wheels with straight 32h rim. But they are needing trued much more frequently than i care to do.

What other heavy (240+) riders doing? Super beefy rims? Or is there a reasonably priced 36h boost hubs out there? I'm open to building wheels myself or buying them assembled.
Old 03-04-23, 05:19 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
White Industries makes their XMR+ Boost hubs for front and rear, with 12x100 and 15x100 for the front and 12x148 for the rear, in a variety of hole patterns (32H, 36H, 40H), for ISO 6-bolt disc setups. These are basically the disc version of the well-regarded MI5 hubs.

https://www.whiteind.com/product/xmr-boost-rear/

https://www.whiteind.com/product/xmr-boost-front/

I've got a set of White MI5 36H hubs with Velocity CliffHanger rims, professionally built (by Rodriguez Cycles in Seattle WA). Very sturdy.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-05-23, 09:25 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! I had Missed white Industry hubs. That's the direction I'll go if can't find something with less bling.

There is a fair amount of bike theft in our city, and I worry too nice of bikes will attract attention. I've had a couple people I know get bikes stolen now. Both had bikes that were obviously expensive, a co-motion, and another carbon with a Dura-Ace.
Old 04-01-23, 04:20 PM
ExtremeSquared

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Somewhat unrelated question...
Has anyone in here had durability problems with boost wheels?

While the wide hub/spoke stance in boost hubs adds lateral stability for aggressive riding, it also increases the inline spoke/nipple tension forces in normal riding, which is a clydesdale concern.

This is provable mathematically but it's not clear if that could translate to a valid concern in real-world use.
Old 04-01-23, 04:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Cead_tinne
Thanks! I had Missed white Industry hubs. That's the direction I'll go if can't find something with less bling.

There is a fair amount of bike theft in our city, and I worry too nice of bikes will attract attention. I've had a couple people I know get bikes stolen now. Both had bikes that were obviously expensive, a co-motion, and another carbon with a Dura-Ace.
The secret with nice hubs? Don't clean them. With enough grime, no one will notice. My city bike has Phil hubs.

Edit: Speaking of Phils - 36 hole would be a no-brainer for them. I doubt those hubs would care about your weight as Phil made their name on loaded tourers.

2nd edit: just Duck Ducked boost. I don't have any idea if Phil has ever done boost but they certainly could.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-01-23 at 04:39 PM.