Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Protecting old chrome from salt air?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 11:58 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

I live 5 miles from the ocean, so the home air isn't bad, but I do most of my riding along the beach (Pacific Coast Highway, usually one block off of and adjacent to the beach). My main roadie is titanium, so I'm not really all that concerned. I do get sand in the drivetrain from crosswinds, but I clean it when I get home, and replacing consumables a little more frequently is a price I'm willing to pay for the views.

But I'm considering buying a fully-chromed Super LeTour to hang out on some of the local social rides. We have one in town where everyone meets up at a local record store, oohs and ahhs at all the old pre-war Schwinns and the custom ratrods, then cruises around the boardwalk and downtown to meey up for tacos and beer by the water. Is that sort of thing once a week enough to cause pitting? Other than washing the bike regularly, any tips? Any specific wax or other product you'd suggest?

Most of the chrome fenders and lugs I see on older bikes around here are somewhere between "patina" and "scratchy rust bucket," but I imagine a lot of those are stored 24/7 in garages 3 blocks off the beach.
Old 03-24-23, 01:05 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Premium car wax. Something heavy on the carnauba applied in serious OCD fashion. If just for hanging up forlornly in my garage I use Boeshield.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-24-23, 01:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Wipe the frame and everything off as often as you see fit. Or hose it down. I find that a wet wipe of some sort that comes in a big container works great for just general cleaning. And it's easier with the newer bikes that have their cables internal. Usually, but not limited to the bikes with electronic shifting.

I'd think you'd have the same issue for new chrome as you do for the old chrome of your thread title. And the advice would be the same whether it's chrome or paint. If you truly are in the ocean breeze, then inattention will be the worst enemy.
Old 03-24-23, 03:50 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks, all. Been about 6 years since I've had any bikes with paint OR chrome. All this titanium (even the fork) has me lazy.
Old 03-25-23, 07:55 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
Johnson's paste floor wax. Some people object to clear coating chrome, but if I were where you are and had an all chrome bike it certainly be clear coated.
Old 03-25-23, 09:07 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Don't forget to treat the inside of the frame too...
Old 03-28-23, 04:15 AM
hevysrf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
I suggest that it's all about the original plating process, the corrosion starts underneath the shiny chrome layer. My last 2 new chrome plated cruiser forks from eBay both pitted within 2 years, even after religious application of wax externally and fluid film internally.

Your old Schwinn probably had a much more careful plating process, keep it clean, store in a dry place, make sure any scratches are filled with wax. Spray a little corrosion protectant inside the tubes, and any place dissimilar metals meet (fluid film or T-9).
Old 03-28-23, 10:45 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
After years of summers at the Jersey shore, I think you're on the road to disappointment. The moist, salty air is pervasive, and you can't vacuum-pack your bike every night. It would have to be an exceptional bike to justify the continual and frequent maintenance to fight this fight. First few months - very do-able, but a few years? I'd fall out of love with that bike by then.
Old 03-29-23, 09:05 AM
KWillets

Bikes: Waterford RS-11, Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zerust, either the tabs or the bike cover.
Old 03-29-23, 12:04 PM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Rust

These products work great. Pick the one that fits.