Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Affordable bike shops in the LA/silver lake area

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 09-17-22, 04:30 PM
Random_bike_guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I needed some assistance with installing my lines and housing for an old friction shifting setup. Dint want to name drop, but I was getting quoted 75-90 dollars for that. Inflation that bad, lol. In the La/Silverlake area
Old 09-18-22, 07:42 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Maybe try to find a bicycle co-op in your area? New shift cables are going to run you between $5-$9 each and the housing is going to be another $25-$30? That isn't high quality stuff but it will serve the purpose. Have you viewed any of the Park Tool videos on replacing and installing shift cable? Setting up your system with friction shifting is twice as easy as trying to install and dial in a indexed system.
Old 09-18-22, 02:47 PM
Random_bike_guy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for your response & advice. there seems to be a place called the bike kitchen in my area, all volunteers, Will try that, but yeah, That was what the bike shop wanted to charge for just the service, i was providing the cables, housing and chain. I’ve actually been watching RJ the bike guy’s YouTube channel. Was a huge help. I stripped the bike down to the bare frame, removed the paint, cleaned, lubricators all the components & painted, then rebuilt everything. Even unnecessary stuff like disassembling the shifter, and rear derailer, cleaned, and lubricated. Replaced a few thing, bottom bracket, headset, petals, seat & post, break pads, lever handles & hoods, line & housing. The bike is nothing special. ‘82 mutants 310, but it gave me an opportunity to learn some stuff
Old 09-18-22, 05:25 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
I'm glad to support Budget Pro Bicycles in Eagle Rock on Colorado Bl. near the 2 Fwy. Customer and fan over 15 years with bikes 10-45 years old. Good people, friendly independent shop. Don't know how their prices compete but my experience is a good long term relationship that's all too rare these days. Coco's Variety on Riverside in Silverlake is pretty good too
Likes For Medium Size Dog:
Old 09-19-22, 05:14 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
From a friend:

I go to Godspeed Cyclery in KTown and Felipe's #2 near DTLA. Felipe's is cheaper but they are not as knowledgeable as Godspeed. For very basic things Felipe's is ok. Godspeed people are very nice.
Old 09-20-22, 01:52 PM
Random_bike_guy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you guys. I’ll given them a look
Old 09-22-22, 10:11 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
I'm glad to support Budget Pro Bicycles in Eagle Rock on Colorado Bl. near the 2 Fwy. Customer and fan over 15 years with bikes 10-45 years old. Good people, friendly independent shop. Don't know how their prices compete but my experience is a good long term relationship that's all too rare these days. Coco's Variety on Riverside in Silverlake is pretty good too
I also second Budget Pro Bicycles. They're my local go-to for those one-off bike issues that I don't want to buy additional tools (press-fit BB installment, carbon steerer cut, etc.). They only charged me $10 for a carbon steerer cut and that's cheaper than me buying a saw and carbon cutting blade! There's also Bicycle Kitchen on Franklin and Virgil if you want to do the work at a co-op. They have the tools if you want to do the work yourself.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-28-22, 01:36 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
My fave LBS is Around the Cycle in Pasadena on Lincoln, just minutes from the Rose Bowl if you can head over thataway. Solid folks there, plus I feel their service rates are very reasonable, and they never try and upsell anything. Most of the time I've been surprised by what little they've charged me for repairs.
I hear ya jonathanf2, as much as I want to build up my own tool quiver, much of the time it's cheaper for me to just take it to those guys!