Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with a car honking at you? Today I yelled back

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-12-20, 10:01 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

I was on Home Mountain Road in Woodside. This white truck honked at me. So I started to speed up a little and it kept honking. I moved as far to the right as possible. There were no other cars and plenty of room for the truck to pass me and it just kept on honking.

I got off my bike and yelled at the top of my lungs, ''What the F****!!!!'' And they just drove off. Looked like a couple of older caucasian men in masks. But the point is why wouldn't they just pass me? They had plenty of room and time, no cars around. Has this every happened to you? I don't know what else they wanted me to do. I was all the way to the right and there was plenty of room, but they wouldn't pass me and just kept on honking. It really made me wanna do something and so that's why I snapped at them.

Just imagine if this was Kings Mountain Road and you couldn't go any faster up the hill. I still am confused as to what they were doing. Have they never seen a cyclist before? Do they think I'm not supposed to be on the road? I was so furious. Maybe that's why they didn't react to me and just drove off. Luckily they weren't 2 tough guys. But I wasn't having it. I screamed viciously.
Likes For DreamRider85:
Old 11-12-20, 10:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ear plugs or ear buds with loud music or meditation and relaxing programs.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-12-20, 11:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Ignore it unless they are trying to get you attention for something important like you dropped something or your light went out or something like that. Sometimes you just have to put on those adult pants and just let it go. Cars can suck a lot of the time but honks don't really tell you much so it might behoove you sometimes to just not react. I sometimes now just smile and wave or yell back "love you too" and that makes them madder but keeps you positive.

Don't let jerks ruin the ride. The only things that should ruin a ride are mechanical failures that are unfixable trailside (or road or whatever terrain), bonking or someone (human and non) or something actually causing you harm. Beyond that you are on a freakin' bike that is awesome.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-12-20, 11:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
They were messing with you to get your goat and they were successful. Lots of @holes out there so don’t take it personally.

I have been riding for 40 years doing tons of miles and have had just about everything happen to me including being shot at and hit and knocked into a ditch by a boat (on a trailer). Spit on, yelled at more times than I can count, cherry bombs, boat air horns in my ear, milkshakes in the face, bottles, you name it. I don’t take it personally. They are just jerks wanting to upset you.

in my 30s I did standup as a hobby. There was usually a heckler or two and they were usually drunk off their butts. I would give it right back to them and the crowd would laugh at them. Bumped into one of them in the restroom after my set and the guy apologized up one side and down the other and that he was just having fun. I told him, no problem and now you know why some mothers eat their young. We both laughed and left pals. The harassers are just morons having fun and will forget about you as soon as you are out of sight, Fuming about it just gives them power as your frustration consumes you. Just let it go and be happy they didn’t run you down or stop the truck and beat the 💩 out of you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-12-20, 11:38 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I just wave, like they're old friends.
Old 11-12-20, 11:46 PM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I just wave, like they're old friends.
That's what I do also--using ALL fingers.
Likes For aRoudy1:
Old 11-12-20, 11:57 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ignore it unless they are trying to get you attention for something important like you dropped something or your light went out or something like that. Sometimes you just have to put on those adult pants and just let it go. Cars can suck a lot of the time but honks don't really tell you much so it might behoove you sometimes to just not react. I sometimes now just smile and wave or yell back "love you too" and that makes them madder but keeps you positive.

Don't let jerks ruin the ride. The only things that should ruin a ride are mechanical failures that are unfixable trailside (or road or whatever terrain), bonking or someone (human and non) or something actually causing you harm. Beyond that you are on a freakin' bike that is awesome.

Thanks. Couldn't really ignore it cuz it didn't seem like they would ever stop. Come to think about it, maybe they just don't want me on the road. I've never had this happen before. There was one time a car gave one honk and passed me, but these guys were too much.
Old 11-13-20, 01:14 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Hasn't happened in ages. But twice, in traffic, I was honked at from behind and simply slowed way down in the road. It's a real crowd pleaser!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-13-20, 03:59 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
The plan is not to react in any way. No flipping the bird. No dirty looks. No yelling. Nothing to stoke the flames of hate so that they come looking for you at the same time of day.
Likes For gios:
Old 11-13-20, 04:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
There’s an A&S Forum, and you know it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-13-20, 06:37 AM
Hartmmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
When it comes to car/bike interactions I always think of the opening scene in A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Arthur Dent is lying in front of a bulldozer and the job foreman asks him if he knows how much damage the bulldozer ran over him. Arthur replies "No, I don't". The foreman replies "None at all"
Likes For Hartmmike:
Old 11-13-20, 06:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Like your incident, my experience is honkers almost never endanger me. So it's best to just ignore and let it go.

One of my favorite honking incidents. Enjoy!

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...k-trucker.html
Old 11-13-20, 07:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
#DreamRider85!!!
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-13-20, 08:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Don't you know you're supposed to get off the road and onto the sidewalk?
Old 11-13-20, 08:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
DreamRider85 The elevated adrenaline levels we experience while riding can raise emotions and cloud our judgment. Potential threats to personal safety seem smaller on video review; and what seemed like harassment at the time may look more like a minor misunderstanding, or something else completely.

If you were going uphill, as I think you said you were, is it possible they thought they were cheering you on by honking? You know, like the cowbells on hill sections of bicycle tours.

But the odds are they were probably just jerks. Even so, based on your past posts, you seem like a kind and thoughtful guy despite some very difficult life challenges. So please don't let some yahoos steal your bliss.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-13-20, 08:55 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Just let it go and be happy they didn’t run you down or stop the truck and beat the 💩 out of you.
It's best not give people an excuse to.

I have not had much honking, but what I get lately are people who follow behind me at the speed I'm going, but refuse to pass. I have no idea what's up with that, but as a FRAP rider, I don't appreciate it because it makes me stay to the right waiting for these idiots to pass.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-13-20, 09:09 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Sometimes I blow them kisses.
Old 11-13-20, 09:22 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
it's bike vs car, bike will lose 101% of the time.
So just relax and give them a friendly wave. There is no point trying to make a situation worse and make your day badder than it already is. Deep breath and a wave. You'll ride home a lot happier. I'm pretty sure cycling long-timers will agree with me on this.
Old 11-13-20, 09:35 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
If you can access it, point your phone at them. If you can actually get it recording, do so, and try to get the license plate in the video.

In this case, video is better so you can submit it to the authorities and report the harrassment.

Don't expect immediate relief, if any, although some precincts will actually send a letter/warning. However, if anything ever happens in the future, to you, or another cyclist, this will be another piece of evidence against them. The video is what got that driver in TX convicted.
Old 11-13-20, 10:25 AM
SpeedRanger

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
It's best not give people an excuse to.

I have not had much honking, but what I get lately are people who follow behind me at the speed I'm going, but refuse to pass. I have no idea what's up with that, but as a FRAP rider, I don't appreciate it because it makes me stay to the right waiting for these idiots to pass.

I dislike this as well. I think these drivers are reluctant to pass because they lack confidence and skill to move over into the next lane.....they rather follow until you turn off.
Old 11-13-20, 10:34 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
The laws in my state don't help much. Putting myself in a driver's position wanting to pass a cyclist on a relatively narrow section of roadway that has a double yellow line (95% of the roads i ride) that driver has 2 options. 1.) Cross the double yellow line to pass the cyclist, and risk a a $250 fine. Or 2.) Don't cross the double yellow when passing, and risk a $30 fine for violating our "3 foot law".

I'm not aware of any exception for passing a cyclist over a double yellow line, but cops do it all the time when they pass me, so I "assume" that law enforcement make an exception for this, but the truth is I really don't know. We need clearer laws on this subject, IMO.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 11-13-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-13-20, 10:43 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
I dislike this as well. I think these drivers are reluctant to pass because they lack confidence and skill to move over into the next lane.....they rather follow until you turn off.
I live on a very windy road, where I would have to do a blind-pass, so I hang back until I can see that I won't be putting myself, the rider, or an oncoming vehicle in danger. I try to hang back far enough so it isnt' annoying, but it clearly is to some bicyclists, who will happily waive me into a blind head-on.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-13-20, 11:01 AM
SpeedRanger

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I live on a very windy road, where I would have to do a blind-pass, so I hang back until I can see that I won't be putting myself, the rider, or an oncoming vehicle in danger. I try to hang back far enough so it isnt' annoying, but it clearly is to some bicyclists, who will happily waive me into a blind head-on.
In this situation I would simply pull off to the side of the road and let you pass. No point in me holding up vehicle traffic and annoying drivers. Courtesy only takes a few seconds.
Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 11-13-20, 11:24 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Typically I wave them off, sometimes yell what exactly they can do with their mother for good measure if they're being deliberately obnoxious.

I ride mostly near the edge as is the law around here and good sense and you can typically pass without even going in the opposite lane much, but once in a while you get an asshat who will drive behind you despite nobody on the road and with enough visibility to overtake a lorry, then honk when they finally decide to overtake a minute later. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited by Branko D; 11-13-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-13-20, 11:31 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
How many hundreds of motor vehicles were able to pass you safely without incidence for every one jerk who honks at you? You're not the problem.

In these times of Covid, the popularity of cycling as jumped so either the guy has been hiding in his bunker the last eight months or he's just a common road rager yelling and honking at everybody in front of him.

Get a rear-facing action camera.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.