Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 10:19 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
LOL, I almost forgot:
A steering rod made from CF (the rod that connects the rear steerer tube to the fork) - my estimated price: $200
A CF steerer tube (the one the handlebars attach to, not the one attached to the fork) - my estimated price: $200-300.
Old 11-14-20, 02:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Fact check:

FALSE
Not false.. just alternate facts
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-14-20, 05:54 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Yes I am coldly logical. If I spend more, I expect to get more. So again what more would I get on a $14,000 bike that I wouldn't get on a $7000 bike.
This was the point that Grant Peterson made several years that his production made Atlantis was 98% of what his custom made Rivendell was, and the Rivendell at that time cost about $2,500 more than the Atlantis if my memory serves me correctly. And most honest bicycle manufacturers will tell you the same thing, that a mid-level bike will be about 90 to 98% of what their high-end model will be.

In fact, I would take what you said a step further, what would a $7,000 bike get you that a $3,500 bike wouldn't? Ultegra and especially 105, are fantastic group sets that have very little separating them from DA. Geez a Boardman SLR 9.2 disk is only 16 pounds and comes with Ultegra for only $2,800.

Focus Izalco Race Ultegra

Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-15-20, 12:25 AM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Since "it depends" on what bike you're talking about, I thought I'd mention mine.
My bike, as it stands, cost me around $6500. Now, what would an additional 5 grand or more get me? Here's an idea:

A CF cargo platform (rather than the alu-one I have) - my estimated price: $600 if I do it myself

A custom titanium fork - - my estimated price: $1000

Two upgraded headsets (because I need two): - my estimated price: $300

Assuming I didn't have to work with the frame I already have (i.e. if I had to order from scratch), I'd have a couple of strategically placed bottle cage bosses, including on the top tube and two sets on the headtube: - my estimated price: $300

Some strong CF wheels (rims) (currently have Andra 40 rims): - my estimated price: $800-$1200 (i'd be reusing the Rohloff, obviously)

Titanum cranks if I could get a spider to fit a small Gates front sprockets: €1100 - with spider (Cane Creek eeWings)

Custom titanium seatpost: - my estimated price: $400

Titanium axled pedals (full price, as I transferred my old pedals to this one): - my estimated price: $350

Hydraulic shifters: - my estimated price: $500

Bits and bobs: - my estimated price: $500

That puts it at an additional $5850-$6250. And it could get much higher if I wanted some external gearing with ultralightweight carbon wheels, a carbon seat, seat post, and what have you. Not to mention that if the frame was made out of carbon and done in an ultralight layup.

Would even some of those things be worth it? Yes, to me, they absolutely would be. But I have to admit, that although it would mean less weight, some of the things such as a carbon frame (as opposed to the titanium) would not. I don't think the eeWings would be worth it either (I'm very happy with the stiffness and strength of my Saints crankset), and so on.

What would be worth it to me is the following things:

Hydraulic shifters (if they reboot their project - pusher.ch).

Titanium fork

CF rims if they're strong enough for my (ab-)use.

The extra bosses if I didn't already own the frame, and;

The CF cargo platform if it was strong enough to take abuse.

I know, I know, it's not a racey road bike, but quality costs good money, although not all that cost good money is good quality.

Is the incremental improvements worth the extra dosh? It thoroughly depends on one's wallet, priorities, and so on. I don't think all of the above is worth it with my wallet and priorities, while others most certainly is if and when I can afford them (and in the case of the hydraulic shifters: If they ever become available for me to buy), I will buy them.

A lot of people will probably also say it is not worth it to even consider a titanium frame or some of the components for a frigging cargo bike, but it is what it is.
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
This was the point that Grant Peterson made several years that his production made Atlantis was 98% of what his custom made Rivendell was, and the Rivendell at that time cost about $2,500 more than the Atlantis if my memory serves me correctly. And most honest bicycle manufacturers will tell you the same thing, that a mid-level bike will be about 90 to 98% of what their high-end model will be.

In fact, I would take what you said a step further, what would a $7,000 bike get you that a $3,500 bike wouldn't? Ultegra and especially 105, are fantastic group sets that have very little separating them from DA. Geez a Boardman SLR 9.2 disk is only 16 pounds and comes with Ultegra for only $2,800.

We all have our minds in different places. I returned a $20 C02 tire inflator today because I thought it was extravagant. Had a flat 15 miles out Friday. Didn't call my wife because she teaches ADHD kids and is busy. Didn't call my daughter because she's a nurse. Didn't call an Uber, I walked the 15 miles home. Actually I am not proud of myself. Sometimes I think my stubbornness and small mindedness is what kept me from climbing in my career. You need to think big to make it big. Enjoy your bike!
Old 11-15-20, 12:26 AM
5 mph

Since "it depends" on what bike you're talking about, I thought I'd mention mine.
My bike, as it stands, cost me around $6500. Now, what would an additional 5 grand or more get me? Here's an idea:

A CF cargo platform (rather than the alu-one I have) - my estimated price: $600 if I do it myself

A custom titanium fork - - my estimated price: $1000

Two upgraded headsets (because I need two): - my estimated price: $300

Assuming I didn't have to work with the frame I already have (i.e. if I had to order from scratch), I'd have a couple of strategically placed bottle cage bosses, including on the top tube and two sets on the headtube: - my estimated price: $300

Some strong CF wheels (rims) (currently have Andra 40 rims): - my estimated price: $800-$1200 (i'd be reusing the Rohloff, obviously)

Titanum cranks if I could get a spider to fit a small Gates front sprockets: €1100 - with spider (Cane Creek eeWings)

Custom titanium seatpost: - my estimated price: $400

Titanium axled pedals (full price, as I transferred my old pedals to this one): - my estimated price: $350

Hydraulic shifters: - my estimated price: $500

Bits and bobs: - my estimated price: $500

That puts it at an additional $5850-$6250. And it could get much higher if I wanted some external gearing with ultralightweight carbon wheels, a carbon seat, seat post, and what have you. Not to mention that if the frame was made out of carbon and done in an ultralight layup.

Would even some of those things be worth it? Yes, to me, they absolutely would be. But I have to admit, that although it would mean less weight, some of the things such as a carbon frame (as opposed to the titanium) would not. I don't think the eeWings would be worth it either (I'm very happy with the stiffness and strength of my Saints crankset), and so on.

What would be worth it to me is the following things:

Hydraulic shifters (if they reboot their project - pusher.ch).

Titanium fork

CF rims if they're strong enough for my (ab-)use.

The extra bosses if I didn't already own the frame, and;

The CF cargo platform if it was strong enough to take abuse.

I know, I know, it's not a racey road bike, but quality costs good money, although not all that cost good money is good quality.

Is the incremental improvements worth the extra dosh? It thoroughly depends on one's wallet, priorities, and so on. I don't think all of the above is worth it with my wallet and priorities, while others most certainly is if and when I can afford them (and in the case of the hydraulic shifters: If they ever become available for me to buy), I will buy them.

A lot of people will probably also say it is not worth it to even consider a titanium frame or some of the components for a frigging cargo bike, but it is what it is.
Originally Posted by rekmeyata

We all have our minds in different places. I returned a $20 C02 tire inflator today because I thought it was extravagant. Had a flat 15 miles out Friday. Didn't call my wife because she teaches ADHD kids and is busy. Didn't call my daughter because she's a nurse. Didn't call an Uber, I walked the 15 miles home. Actually I am not proud of myself. Sometimes I think my stubbornness and small mindedness is what kept me from climbing in my career. You need to think big to make it big. Enjoy your bike!
Old 11-15-20, 09:59 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by 5 mph
I too think some things are extravagant. $20 dollar CO2 cartridges would be one of them. Also, I received a lot of pushback in a thread I created, looking for stemcaps to be used as plugs, thinking that $100 was too much for four of them for my use.
My bike is my car, though (it's a cargo bike). I would never use that amount of money on a road bike or MTB. That would be extravagant for me too.
Old 11-15-20, 10:05 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I'm one cheap SOB when it comes to buying new tires for my car, on which my life and livelihood depend. I put it off as long as possible. But I think nothing of getting new tires for one of my bikes, and I always buy the best ones money can buy. I don't mind spending extra on my bikes for something better.

I've always been that way though, the kind of person you see carrying a $3500 bike on a $2500 car. Probably not typical.
Old 11-15-20, 10:38 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Lemond1985: I was that way when I was playing drums professionally in my twenties and thirties. I didn't have a pot to piss in and I was really frugal with all my purchases, except those having to do with my drums. If a cymbal would chip, I would run right out and plunk down $100 for a brand new Zildjian without even a second thought.

With bicycling, I won't stay off the saddle for even a day because of a broken part, but I will never pay for better quality than I need.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 11-15-20, 01:14 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Another good way to justify an expensive bike is that I don't spend the money on other expensive hobbies.
I don't play golf - therefore I didn't spend $1000 on equipment, and I save $100 every time I don't pay green fees and cart rental. So if I don't play twice a week, and I buy a new $10,000 bike once every 10 years, I'm saving $89,000!

BANK!
Old 11-15-20, 01:17 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Lemond1985: I was that way when I was playing drums professionally in my twenties and thirties. I didn't have a pot to piss in and I was really frugal with all my purchases, except those having to do with my drums. If a cymbal would chip, I would run right out and plunk down $100 for a brand new Zildjian without even a second thought.

With bicycling, I won't stay off the saddle for even a day because of a broken part, but I will never pay for better quality than I need.
"You traded the Bluesmobile ... for a microphone??? OK, I could see that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKmNkDcDuk
Old 11-15-20, 04:05 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

15 flats?! Dang, what the heck caused all those flats?

The most flats I ever had in a day was back in the tubular days. I always carried 2 spares plus a repair kit which included a thimble, waxed thread, a needle, a thread cutter, and of course patches and glue. So one day I blew through the first 2 tubulars in the first about 10 miles of a scheduled 50-mile ride, believe it or not, but back in the late '70s blowing through 2 tubulars on a ride was not uncommon! but usually, a person would blow through 1. Then after that, I had 4 more flats if I recall correctly, so what I did after the third flat, and since I was already stopped and had my repair stuff out, I went ahead and repaired all 3 of the tubulars, this took about an hour, so off I rode but ended up going through the 2 spares again around the 30-mile mark, so back to spending about an hour to repair those flatted tubulars.

I HAATTTTEEDD tubulars!!! I was so glad when Specialized came out with the first folding lightweight clincher tires, I think it was in 1979? Maybe someone has the actual date, but anyway I ran out got new rims and new tires the very day I found them in a bike shop. My flats on those first folding tires were only about 1 a week to 1 every 2 weeks. The primary cause for flats back in those days were fine wires that ground off of bald steel-belted radial tires and glass, I haven't had a flat from a piece of wire in years.
Old 11-15-20, 04:50 PM
5 mph

If you're going to get a really nice bike, please dress right! Please don't let use see you with plastic bags over your gym sneakers on a rainy day!
Castelli Soft-Shell Cycling Pants - Men's $300
Giro Vanquish MIPS Helmet. $300
Castelli Hors Categorie Jersey $150
S-Works Exos Road Shoe Specialized Black $500
Sealskinz Extreme Cold-Weather Cycling Split-Finger Gloves $80
Castelli Idro 2 Jacket $300
Total $2300

Last edited by 5 mph; 11-15-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-15-20, 05:02 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Without the shouting I can say that I don't really care about those items you posted. And the things you posted are not something I would be seen dead in. In fact, someone posted a photo about someone all dressed up in tweed. A mix between that and mountain bike clothing does it for me. Oh, and sandals. I don't like to look dressed up for cycling - and only cycling.

Besides, why would have to "dress the part" because you have an expensive bike? It's still cheaper than a good motorcycle. Why would I want to attempt the "Look, I like expensive things", when all I care about is using good stuff.
Do you think I have the things on my bike - or the frame itself - because they were expensive?

Or, put it this way: Good quality stuff costs good money, but not all that costs good money is good quality.
Old 11-15-20, 05:14 PM
5 mph

Dont worry I'm the guy with plastic bags on my sneakers and gym shorts even on a really cold wet day .My Bianchi Pista SS is however a first class bike! Brand new condition. Previous owner rode her maybe 6 times on the track.

Last edited by 5 mph; 11-15-20 at 05:18 PM.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 11-15-20, 05:22 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I don't worry. I just don't see the point of your post with the expensive stuff to "dress the part".
Old 11-15-20, 05:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

If you're going to get a really nice bike, please dress right! Please don't let use see you with plastic bags over your gym sneakers on a rainy day!
Total $2300

Gotcha

Old 11-15-20, 07:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde.

Ouch, that hurts.

I need to up my bike budget. A lot.
Old 11-15-20, 07:44 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by downtube42
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde.

Ouch, that hurts.

I need to up my bike budget. A lot.
Nah, I live within my budget. Again, it's much cheaper than a car. Especially here in Denmark where we have up to 180 percent taxes on cars, plus very expensive environmental taxes (our version of road taxes), not to mention parking and whatnot.
That's not the reason I prefer my bike, though.
Old 11-15-20, 07:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Nah, I live within my budget. Again, it's much cheaper than a car. Especially here in Denmark where we have up to 180 percent taxes on cars, plus very expensive environmental taxes (our version of road taxes), not to mention parking and whatnot.
That's not the reason I prefer my bike, though.
Here in the States, if you don't have a car you're weird. Even in allegedly bike crazy Portland, cars rule. Heck, I didn't have a car when I lived in Texas. Oh yeah, I'm weird like that.

I absolutely live in a budget. I'm an engineer, a subculture with an overly developed desire to not be wrong. Mr. Wilde is calling me out on the foolishness of my cautiousness, and I see truth in his statement. Will I actually act on that view? Maybe a smidge.
Old 11-15-20, 08:18 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by downtube42
Here in the States, if you don't have a car you're weird. Even in allegedly bike crazy Portland, cars rule. Heck, I didn't have a car when I lived in Texas. Oh yeah, I'm weird like that.
I know there is a different culture over there. But for me (I posted the price of my bike and what I lusted for somewhat earlier in the thread), it is simply because I like it, much more than I'd like having a car.

I absolutely live in a budget. I'm an engineer, a subculture with an overly developed desire to not be wrong. Mr. Wilde is calling me out on the foolishness of my cautiousness, and I see truth in his statement. Will I actually act on that view? Maybe a smidge.
He was famous and rich. Most of us don't have the luxury of probably getting away with a lot of debt. Living within ones means is a good thing.

Me buying a somewhat (or even very) expensive bike won't hurt me financially. But again, I don't buy a new bike every other year or so.

In our family - we both make a pretty good chunk - neither of us have much interest in cars, so we don't have some flashy car, we don't have a big house to impress (our home is a flat), and so on.
So although I splurged on this bike, I'm not living beyond my means.

Just owning an old car here would pay for the bike in a year or two if you include the insurance and environmental road taxes. Things are quite expensive here. Many people pay a couple of thousand dollars/year, and $6-10000/year for the insurance for what is normal cars. plus the actual payments for the cars, maintenance, parking, fuel, and so on.

Not everyone in Denmark could live like me either. Some people do need a car. I've just chosen to live where I live to make it easy enough to get around on a bike. I am a city boy after all, lol.
Old 11-15-20, 08:41 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I'm one cheap SOB when it comes to buying new tires for my car, on which my life and livelihood depend. I put it off as long as possible. But I think nothing of getting new tires for one of my bikes, and I always buy the best ones money can buy. I don't mind spending extra on my bikes for something better.

I've always been that way though, the kind of person you see carrying a $3500 bike on a $2500 car. Probably not typical.
Car or bike, tires and brakes are the two things always worth spending the most on. Two things I dislike is going slow and slowing down if I don't have to and tires and brakes make a huge difference on if the accident happens.

Total $2300
I can afford the nice bike because I didn't waste the money on these things. Seriously, 500 on shoes? Give me my spd sandals any day though I'd go for the helmet.

Had to read through these postings, some of its quite silly but funny. Looking at dual suspension MTBs with the wife for her this year I really couldn't see where the money on those things went and they did get stupid expensive which also didnt seem to make a difference on getting them below 30lbs. We dropped 2k which, from what I could see, is the point you have to get to for a decent dual suspension bike in which the suspension really accomplishes something. After that the returns seem to diminish a lot. With road and gravel the differences between a 2k bike and a 5k bike are a little more obvious and the electronics after that seem to matter a lot towards the higher prices and lower weights though they move out of my range which currently seems to peak at 6k. I know if I spent more how it would be better but the returns diminish or disinterest me enough to not care.
Sometimes the money doesn't matter anyways. I'm building a 43cm felt f95w for my daughter and while any of the electronic groups would make shifting easier none of them are short enough reach to allow her to brake as well as a pair of 110.00 Microshift shifters. So as much as I'd love to plunk down for something nicer since this should last a few years, it isn't happening.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-15-20, 09:00 PM
rekmeyata

Total $2300

LOL!!! Give me a break, you can get really nice clothing for the cold for less than half of what you spent without resorting to "plastic bags".

A $300 helmet is not even necessary, it offers no more crash protection than a $50 MIPS helmet that past the Virginia Tech crash tests with 5 stars; of course, the build quality is low end on the $50 one but the sweet spot would be around $100, but despite the build quality a 5-star helmet can be had for $50. While your particular helmet hasn't been tested yet, don't expect just because you paid $300 for it that would pass automatically with a 5-star rating because there's a Kali Tava that cost $240 that only got a 3-star rating, so higher cost doesn't necessarily buy you 5 stars.

Now, this is where it gets fun, in fact, it makes me wonder if you're really a cyclist and just got on the internet and thought you would throw expensive gear around for fun, and/or simply don't know what you're talking about? Hmmm, ok, here it goes, you said that your list was your cold-weather list, but then you mentioned these shoes, the S-Works EXOS Road Shoe. Now, why am I highlighting those shoes? Because those are a super lightweight mesh shoe designed for hot days NOT COLD DAYS!!! These are the absolute coolest shoe to wear on hot days. Even with the heaviest insulated sock, you would still find your feet freezing. And since you didn't mention you had shoe covers I believe you're a fake, or being funny, or...well you tell us, even if you had mentioned shoe covers, or just forgot to mention them, I don't think those shoes and a shoe cover would be good for under 50-degree riding.

The other weird thing is your math, I added up all the stuff you said came to $2,300 and my calculator only came up to $1,630, even if the cost that you gave didn't include tax on each item and your total did, you're still a good $500 from $2,300.

If you can come up with a good explanation for such crazy stuff like maybe you have Alzheimer's and you simply can no longer remember stuff, I could accept that, or some other explanations like you were just joking around. Or maybe you think 60 degrees is cold weather?

Despite all of that, I spent far less than even half of $2300 and I'm comfortable down to about 40 to 38 degrees without using plastic bags, after that I refuse to ride and will go to the indoor trainer.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-15-20, 09:11 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Never mind him. He has a disdain for people having a good bike, so that whole post of his was not even tongue in cheek. He most certainly did it to somehow poke at people who has what he considers an expensive bike, thinking posting expensive clothing would somehow be satirical or make him feel better about himself.

As for clothing, I wear clothes I can wear off-bike too. I don't have an office job, though, where I have to look the part or anything, so I can wear hardwearing trousers and shorts, but I do wear (merino) button shirts, because they're extremely versatile.
Old 11-16-20, 12:17 AM
5 mph

Come on guys, I was joking

Last edited by 5 mph; 11-16-20 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-16-20, 06:23 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Sure you were.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.