Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Be Careful Out There!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Be Careful Out There!

Old 02-02-22, 08:26 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Be Careful Out There!

Have you seen this video of a car taking out a cyclist at high speed? The very, VERY lucky rider scampers away after being dragged by the car. The bike is totally mangled.

Video shows shocking hit-and-run crash in Silver Lake area; bicyclist seen getting dragged at Glendale and Alessandro - ABC7 Los Angeles

DUDES, be safe!
Old 02-02-22, 08:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to A&S.

Old 02-03-22, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I doubt that any of us think we are not being safe when we ride or otherwise acting within our ability.

Sorry, no time to watch the vid.
Old 02-03-22, 09:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm going to make a preemptive plea--can we please be spared the inevitably pointless debate about where in the lane the cyclist should have been to avoid this? Second-guessing with hindsight is easy, especially when you can't go back to the event and test whether your option would have worked. Somebody got hurt, exploiting that to make some unproveable point is really disgusting.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-03-22, 09:55 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm going to make a preemptive plea--can we please be spared the inevitably pointless debate about where in the lane the cyclist should have been to avoid this? Second-guessing with hindsight is easy, especially when you can't go back to the event and test whether your option would have worked. Somebody got hurt, exploiting that to make some unproveable point is really disgusting.
Your plea very much reminds me of the discussion many of us had in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bike-lane.html

I was very critical of that bike rider in that thread, because he obviously did something very stupid, which I know I would never had done.

However, WRT this incident. That cyclist, that I can see, did nothing wrong. That could easily had been me. It seems obvious to me that the driver, very likely, did this on purpose.

Old 02-03-22, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by work4bike
Your plea very much reminds me of the discussion many of us had in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bike-lane.html

I was very critical of that bike rider in that thread, because he obviously did something very stupid, which I know I would never had done.

However, WRT this incident. That cyclist, that I can see, did nothing wrong. That could easily had been me. It seems obvious to me that the driver, very likely, did this on purpose.

I actually wish you hadn't posted this because it invites someone to take that video apart to try to "prove" the counter-factual hypothetical "if he had been a foot to the left" kind of argument.

Yes, I thought that Lyft conversation went right off the rails. I really have no interest in rehashing it.
Old 02-03-22, 12:07 PM
work4bike

I actually wish you hadn't posted this because it invites someone to take that video apart to try to "prove" the counter-factual hypothetical "if he had been a foot to the left" kind of argument.
I welcome that, maybe they will point something out that I missed, or I can simply debate others' with differing points of view, even yours I don't want to participate in a forum that's no more than an echo chamber. You know...free speech, lively debate and all that

....I really have no interest in rehashing it.
Nor I.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 02-03-22, 01:55 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
The Hyundai was further left in the lane and moved right to hit the cyclist, so that makes me think it was deliberate. You can also see the front end had pre-existing damage, so my guess is this wasn't the first time the motorist performed a hit-and-run.
Old 02-04-22, 05:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I welcome that, maybe they will point something out that I missed, or I can simply debate others' with differing points of view, even yours I don't want to participate in a forum that's no more than an echo chamber. You know...free speech, lively debate and all that

Nor I.

It's not a matter of debate vs. echo chamber, it's a matter of having the same stupid argument taking apart an actual crash over and over. These threads are BF's version of Groundhog Day.

News Flash: No one cares who we think was at fault.
Old 02-04-22, 06:12 AM
work4bike

It's not a matter of debate vs. echo chamber, it's a matter of having the same stupid argument taking apart an actual crash over and over. These threads are BF's version of Groundhog Day.

News Flash: No one cares who we think was at fault.
When I was in the navy I loved to read mishap reports, that way I could make sure I was practicing the best methods to prevent accidents. It's the same thing with reading posts in this forum, which I find as one of the most valuable forums on this website. However, it's true that sometimes there are just repeat mistakes in this forum that don't really add much, but the same could be said for many of the mishap reports I read while in the navy. That's just the nature of the beast.

BTW, the same argument can be said for all forums on this website and all other websites. There are tons of repeat threads, but every once in a while you get a good thread. I don't know how to fix that. I just deal with it. No high blood pressure here

Old 02-04-22, 09:32 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
The Hyundai was further left in the lane and moved right to hit the cyclist, so that makes me think it was deliberate. You can also see the front end had pre-existing damage, so my guess is this wasn't the first time the motorist performed a hit-and-run.
In viewing the hit and run car's previous fender damage and missing wheel cover, it make me lean more towards a drunken driver or an elderly person with poor vision than a deliberate hit and run, but that's my personal thought, and when the driver is caught, we'll have to look at their past driving record to better determine whether it was deliberate or not.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 02-04-22, 09:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

When I was in the navy I loved to read mishap reports, that way I could make sure I was practicing the best methods to prevent accidents. It's the same thing with reading posts in this forum, which I find as one of the most valuable forums on this website. However, it's true that sometimes there are just repeat mistakes in this forum that don't really add much, but the same could be said for many of the mishap reports I read while in the navy. That's just the nature of the beast.

BTW, the same argument can be said for all forums on this website and all other websites. There are tons of repeat threads, but every once in a while you get a good thread. I don't know how to fix that. I just deal with it. No high blood pressure here

I'm not going to go over and over the same ground I've covered in multiple threads, but I find this more than just repetitive, it's actually offensive. I agree that accident investigation is important process for improving safety, but that's not a bunch of amateurs taking sketchy evidence and arguing their pet theories of what always causes X in this situation or publicly stating that their technique is so clearly superior to the maimed rider that this could never happen to them. I think using real injured and killed people's misfortunes for these rhetorical purposes is pretty disgusting.

I don't think people are learning from these threads as all they generally do is engage in confirmation bias and argue about what the facts are to make them fit their preferred scenario. I've said it before--if you seriously want to have a conversation about what to do in X situation, create a hypothetical incident where you determine what the facts actually are. You can say "the driver's intentionally gunning for you" or "the driver is on the cell phone" or "I'm this far into the lane" or whatever, and that's the fact pattern we're discussing. Totally avoids having to look at whether some actual person is somehow to blame for their own demise which we really have no legitimate business opining about. .
Old 02-04-22, 11:02 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
but then you "go over it" anyway?
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-04-22, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
but then you "go over it" anyway?
"go over and over". Maybe brush up on the reading comprehension.

The "and over" part will not follow.
Old 02-04-22, 12:20 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Having looked around on streetview, my biggest takeaway is that I'd hate to feel like I had to take that route.

I fault the driver for fleeing, but with the highway offramp joining up from from right just after an underpass, this is just a horrible streetscape to have to try to ride through.

What's really needed is a viable connection between tamer streets.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 02-04-22, 12:35 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
This is one of the worst case scenarios that all cyclists are afraid of. Please note that the cyclist walked away. Text of article says he sustained minor injuries. I will hope the adjective ‘minor’ is correct.

My experience with that kind of hit is the bicycle is normally or usually thrown clear. Thinking about being dragged or pulled into wheel well is the sort of thing that wakes you up at night. High chance here the previous body damage snagged the victim.

Huge kudos to that cyclist. He looks light and limber on the bike. This could have been a very very bad accident. No way to know if the cyclists’ action after impact were active or passive. Unless it were possible to ask him. I will think his actions contributed a lot to surviving that impact.

i have been hit that way too many times. Without the dragging. Still grateful to Providence to be here. Very much doubt that in old age I would walk away again. When I am next hit the image of the brilliant riding in that video will be in front of me.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 02-04-22, 02:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 63rickert
This is one of the worst case scenarios that all cyclists are afraid of. Please note that the cyclist walked away. Text of article says he sustained minor injuries. I will hope the adjective ‘minor’ is correct.

My experience with that kind of hit is the bicycle is normally or usually thrown clear. Thinking about being dragged or pulled into wheel well is the sort of thing that wakes you up at night. High chance here the previous body damage snagged the victim.

Huge kudos to that cyclist. He looks light and limber on the bike. This could have been a very very bad accident. No way to know if the cyclists’ action after impact were active or passive. Unless it were possible to ask him. I will think his actions contributed a lot to surviving that impact.

i have been hit that way too many times. Without the dragging. Still grateful to Providence to be here. Very much doubt that in old age I would walk away again. When I am next hit the image of the brilliant riding in that video will be in front of me.
I actually had the front bumper of an SUV rub my rear wheel in much the same sort of position a few months ago. I could actually hear the braking directly behind me, and instinctively just pedaled as fast as I could before the contact. I was extremely lucky that my acceleration and her deceleration timed exactly as it did, and neither myself nor my bike suffered any damage. I'd like to attribute it to skill, but truth is I just got lucky I made the right choices when I didn't really have time to think them through and the driver actually braked.

Put me down for voting that you keep riding for a long time without ever having a next hit.
Old 02-06-22, 09:21 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I'm not going to go over and over the same ground I've covered in multiple threads, ...
Can this thread be saved? There's always the same handful of people stating the same things over and over again.
Old 02-06-22, 11:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Can this thread be saved? There's always the same handful of people stating the same things over and over again.

These damn video and headline threads are the same thing over and over again. There's nothing worth saving.
Old 02-06-22, 08:02 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts

Nor I.

Exactly: That's one of the reasons this forum exists, so we can exchange ideas and strategies to avoid similar situations.
But some members seem to come here for a different purpose
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 02-06-22, 08:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Exactly: That's one of the reasons this forum exists, so we can exchange ideas and strategies to avoid similar situations.
But some members seem to come here for a different purpose
Just goes to show you that incidences aren't one-off. They occur over and over again.
Old 02-06-22, 09:13 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Just goes to show you that incidences aren't one-off. They occur over and over again.
Indeed, and there's nothing wrong in analyzing them over and over again !
Old 04-26-22, 04:17 PM
toto34

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, poor dude
Old 04-28-22, 08:08 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't think there's anywhere in the lane that cyclist could have been to prevent that "accident." The driver just wasn't paying attention and just didn't care after hitting the cyclist.