Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crashing techniques and styles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crashing techniques and styles

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 01:12 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
If you're trying to stop in the shortest distance possible in an emergency, over clean and dry pavement, using only the front brake does the job best, if not, with the most reliable results.

Just because the hypothesis had the misfortune of being presented by LarrySellerz does not discredit it.

There's many reputable sources on the internet saying the same thing about front brakes.
Who are these experts saying people should not use the rear brake?
Old 07-17-22, 01:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

There's many reputable sources on the internet saying the same thing about front brakes.
Reading articles on internet isn't a very effective way to learn bike handling skills.
Old 07-17-22, 01:46 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Reading articles on internet isn't a very effective way to learn bike handling skills.
???

Listening to you is much less effective.

You can’t practice techniques just by reading articles (on the internet or not) for reputable sources but you can certainly learn about what to practice.

Figuring it all by yourself isn’t going to be effective.
Old 07-17-22, 01:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

You can’t practice techniques just by reading articles (on the internet or not) for reputable sources but you can certainly learn about what to practice.

I don't need experts on internet to tell me how to use my brakes, when to use my brakes or if I should be using one or two brakes to stop. I learned all that stuff by going out and riding.
Old 07-17-22, 02:13 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I tried to post an MP4 video of me falling off my bike yesterday but at 360KB for 1min 34sec, it's too big and I don't have a Youtube channel to link to.
Old 07-17-22, 02:31 PM
njkayaker

I don't need experts on internet to tell me how to use my brakes, when to use my brakes or if I should be using one or two brakes to stop. I learned all that stuff by going out and riding.
No one has any reason to expect don’t suck at it.

Anyway, you are telling people to ignore everything you write here. And you aren’t reputable either. Bizarre.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-22 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-17-22, 02:33 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
???

Back in the early 90's without internet, I figured out many things about bike handling by experimentation. That included braking in the shortest distance possible and how fast can you ride across a speed bump riding one handed without falling.

Now that I'm older, it wouldn't be advisable to take deliberate risks that will likely result in a crash and so far, internet seems good enough.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-17-22, 02:38 PM
njkayaker

Back in the early 90's without internet, I figured out many things about bike handling by experimentation. That included braking in the shortest distance possible and how fast can you ride across a speed bump riding one handed without falling.

Now that I'm older, it wouldn't be advisable to take deliberate risks that will likely result in a crash and so far, internet seems good enough.
No one said you couldn’t figure it out by yourself. It should be quicker to learn by reading stuff first.

There were places to read about this stuff before the internet existed.

Many people are scared to use their front brake. Does it really make sense for all of them to figure this out by themselves?
Old 07-17-22, 02:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

It was an absurd statement to make and say that using only front brake is just as effective at stopping as using both front and rear brakes. Whatever internet articles he got that from is BS.
Old 07-17-22, 02:44 PM
njkayaker

It was an absurd statement to make and say that using only front brake is just as effective at stopping as using both front and rear brakes. Whatever internet articles he got that from is BS.
Who knows what he read or whether he read it properly.

You aren’t any sort of expert. So there’s even less reason to believe anything you say.
Old 07-17-22, 03:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts

Anyway, you are telling people to ignore everything you write here. And you aren’t a reputable either. Bizarre.
Maybe he's the Grand Galactic Inquisitor?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-17-22, 03:38 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
sheldon brown is ridiculously legendary and he says only using the front is fastest, because the rear gets unweighted so any braking force applied to the rear will cause it to skid
Old 07-17-22, 03:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
sheldon brown is ridiculously legendary and he says only using the front is fastest, because the rear gets unweighted so any braking force applied to the rear will cause it to skid
and yet, all you have to do is roll down a hill and apply the rear brake (only) gradually to discover that the above isn’t true. yes - some amount of force will break traction. but “any braking force?” no, absolutely not. depends on a complex mix of speed, weight, weight balance (position on the bike), grade, type/size of tire, road surface…
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-17-22, 03:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Sheldon is a useful source of technical info on bike maintenance and tinkering, bike parts info etc...however when it comes to bike handling I will go with my own experience over what somebody else has said.
Old 07-17-22, 03:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by genejockey
Maybe he's the Grand Galactic Inquisitor?
Hey, there are other posters here who are far more skilled at interrogating other posters than I am.
Old 07-17-22, 07:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
He is legendary for his Bicycle mechanical knowledge and how he shared it.

He is not legendary for his bike handling skills or coaching. He's more like Grant Peterson talking about how to ride: a guy with opinions.

And frankly, his article on this is pretty weak. His arguments are mainly based on a false dichotomy of "Only Front" vs "Only Rear"

Also, I have no idea on what he is basing his assertion that "skilled cyclists only use the front brake 95% of the time". I don't know anyone who almost never touches the rear brake. Its a bit of a True Scotsman argument he has there.

Last edited by Kapusta; 07-17-22 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-18-22, 05:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

He is not legendary for his bike handling skills or coaching. He's more like Grant Peterson talking about how to ride: a guy with opinions.

And frankly, his article on this is pretty weak. His arguments are mainly based on a false dichotomy of "Only Front" vs "Only Rear"

Also, I have no idea on what he is basing his assertion that "skilled cyclists only use the front brake 95% of the time". I don't know anyone who almost never touches the rear brake. Its a bit of a True Scotsman argument he has there.

The more I think about this unweight the back wheel stuff, the less sense it makes. Taken to its extreme, putting the rear wheel in the air puts the frame and rider in the air with a lot of god only knows what lateral momentum while all of the weight is on the fork and front wheel. That sounds like the bike could actually jack knife like a semi.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-22, 05:51 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The more I think about this unweight the back wheel stuff, the less sense it makes. Taken to its extreme, putting the rear wheel in the air puts the frame and rider in the air with a lot of god only knows what lateral momentum while all of the weight is on the fork and front wheel. That sounds like the bike could actually jack knife like a semi.
GCN or probably GMBN did a few segments on endo where they forced their bikes to endo with hilarious results.

It's real. The lateral momentum is also real. In fact, you can get catapulted up and laterally at the same time.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-18-22, 08:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
GCN or probably GMBN did a few segments on endo where they forced their bikes to endo with hilarious results.

It's real. The lateral momentum is also real. In fact, you can get catapulted up and laterally at the same time.
Not surprising - when I've skidded the rear wheel the whole back end of the bike kicked out to one side.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-18-22, 09:28 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mschwett
and yet, all you have to do is roll down a hill and apply the rear brake (only) gradually to discover that the above isn’t true. yes - some amount of force will break traction. but “any braking force?” no, absolutely not. depends on a complex mix of speed, weight, weight balance (position on the bike), grade, type/size of tire, road surface…
You are definitely not understanding the basic argument.

No one is claiming that the rear brake alone (or with a front brake not used heavily) has no "braking force".

Using the rear brake alone doesn't have the front-weighting issues that occurs with using the front brake hard.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-22 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 09:38 AM
mschwett 

You are definitely not understanding the basic argument.

No one is claiming that the rear brake alone (or with a front brake not used heavily) has no "braking force".

Using the rear brake alone doesn't have the front-weighting issues that occurs with using the front brake hard.
that’s not how i interpreted larry’s statement, which didn’t specify whether the rear brake was being used alone or in tandem with the front. i agree that the dynamics are different when both brakes are used, but if there was no load whatsoever on the rear wheel, you’d have other problems than slowing down. at least i would. my example holds if you add a small amount of front brake before gradually applying the rear. it does NOT (at least in my universe of bikes and hills) result in any kind of instantaneous skid/lockup. in fact it slows the bike down faster.
Old 07-18-22, 09:44 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Kapusta

You don't have to rely on Sheldon Brown.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-...-on-a-bicycle/
Old 07-18-22, 09:44 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
I have two brake levers, and will continue to use both brakes at the same time, regardless of what some guy I never heard of named Sheldon or Larry or anyone else says.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-18-22, 09:51 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mschwett
that’s not how i interpreted larry’s statement, which didn’t specify whether the rear brake was being used alone or in tandem with the front. i agree that the dynamics are different when both brakes are used, but if there was no load whatsoever on the rear wheel, you’d have other problems than slowing down. at least i would. my example holds if you add a small amount of front brake before gradually applying the rear. it does NOT (at least in my universe of bikes and hills) result in any kind of instantaneous skid/lockup. in fact it slows the bike down faster.
This is confusing.

No one says using the "gradually applying" the rear brake always result in "any kind of instantaneous skid/lockup".

It seems more than likely that very few people are braking at the limits. For those people, also using the rear brake is going to be faster.

The problem is that the "armchair experts" here think because they don't brake at the limit, whatever their technique is (and it could be terrible) must be faster.
Old 07-18-22, 09:52 AM
mschwett 

You don't have to rely on Sheldon Brown.

good article. but it seems based on the premise that the goal is always to stop as fast as possible or something:

If you can apply the rear brake without locking up the rear wheel, then your weight isn’t shifting forward – a clear sign that you aren’t braking as hard as you should …
in my world, it’s a clear sign that i’m decelerating gently and safely 😂

Last edited by mschwett; 07-18-22 at 09:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.