Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve 1 Disc a good choice - includes questions

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 01:46 AM
Osama_momen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Community

I need your help to ensure we are making the right choice.

Background: Wife and Kids will be in Ontario, Canada for the next couple of years. We typically live in a warm climate - rather than one as cold as Canada - where people tend to focus their bike purchases on Road and Hybrid bikes, hence my dilemma leading to this post.

The bike we want to buy will be my wife’s. She plans to use it for leisurely rides with the kids and - on occasions- use it with a child seat to carry our daughter who just turned 2. Occasionally, my wife would use the bike to commute to work. My wife hasn’t been regularly on a bike for at least 15 years (maybe a two or three time at most) and has commissioned me for this purchase. Looking at the different bikes, I’m leaning towards the Trek Verve 1 disc due its ride position and comfort as well as attractive price. My questions are as follows:

1- is the Verve 1 disc a good choice for Canada, specially when it’s colder and maybe when there is light snow?

2- is the Verve line compatible with child seats? Any specific suggestion here (Frame vs rack)

3- is the Verve line compatible with a stroller in case we decide to go that route?

4- any recommendations/suggestions on choosing between the low step vs the standard model?

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I really appreciate you

best regards
Old 08-10-22, 06:19 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Osama_momen
1- is the Verve 1 disc a good choice for Canada, specially when it’s colder and maybe when there is light snow?
If the Verve fits her well, then it should be a fine choice for Canadian weather. It has an aluminum alloy frame, so rust shouldn't be a concern (at least frame rust). It will fit relatively large tires, so you have your choice of smooth street tires or knobbier ones for off pavement riding or in the snow. You can also fit studded tires for icier/slipperier conditions.

2- is the Verve line compatible with child seats? Any specific suggestion here (Frame vs rack)
In general, child seats for bikes are made to fit a variety of bike frames and sizes. The Verve has rack mounts on the back and I imagine you should be able to fit most child seats to it. Your local bike shop should have some options and guidance for you here.

3- is the Verve line compatible with a stroller in case we decide to go that route?
If you mean towing a convertible stroller/trailer, then yes, it should be. These usually mount via a ball-and-socket joint that's added to the rear axle area or via a clamp to the seat post. In either case, the Verve should handle that fine.

4- any recommendations/suggestions on choosing between the low step vs the standard model?
This will come down mostly to personal preference and fit. Low step frames are certainly easier to mount, but they're also typically shorter in effective top tube length. In other words, the reach from the seat area to the handlebar is usually shorter with low step frames. Depending on your wife's body dimensions and proportions (long legs, short torso, or short legs, long torso, etc.), she may or may not like a low step frame...or she may or may not like a traditional diamond frame. It'd be best for her to test ride several frame styles and sizes, if multiple options are available at your bike shop. At this point, it doesn't matter if it's a Verve 1, 2, 3, 99, etc. Trying a few different frames will help her focus on fit and comfort. Once she finds the frame style and size she likes, then you both can look at trim line (1, 2, 3, etc.) and availability.

Good luck in your bike search!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-11-22, 03:55 AM
Osama_momen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you so much. This has been very informative
Likes For Osama_momen: