Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MINT Early 70’s Peugeot PX10 Reynolds531 Record Du Monde

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

MINT Early 70’s Peugeot PX10 Reynolds531 Record Du Monde

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 10:04 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Cool bike. If it were mine, the Esge rack and light set would be gone quick. I'm a little surprised it doesn't have tubulars but clinchers were likely an option.
Not sure you can safely run a generator light on sew-ups. I'm guessing this bike was ridden at night a lot!
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 08-18-22, 10:19 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
I agree with bikemig about the wheels, I love Campy Tipo hubs and I ride them on many bikes. I like Normandy Competition hubs laced to tubulars too, but if it were my bike, even if I aquired the original wheelset I’d likely still ride these Tipo wheels. This is a beautiful PX10! Congratulations.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 08-18-22, 12:49 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
Also came with this Silica pump attached (removed it to mount the bike on the rack & get home). interestingly enough, it has a Campagnolo fitting at the nozzle end.

Old 08-18-22, 02:47 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Niiice find, so clean, congrats. Not much to add, 100% agree with what has been said. Definitely a ‘72 (maybe ‘73) model, racing oriented so IMHO doesn’t deserve light/generator, rack or pie plate, I’d definitely bring it back to its original build with Maillard hubs, Mavic rims and most likely an Idéale saddle. And can only confirm: get a proper 23,35 crank puller, the crank will be grateful…
Likes For JackJohn:
Old 08-18-22, 04:49 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Sacrilege to some, but I converted my '72 PX-10 to a 650b all-road ride (and it is fantastic), but in this case, with this amazing condition, I gotta agree with the 'keep/return it to original (as much as practical)' sentiment!
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 08-18-22, 09:14 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
You should dip the two ends of that Campy pump head in Plasti-Dip, so they do not damage your paint.

Alternatively, you can often buy or find little plastic covers for them, if you look around.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 08-19-22, 06:49 PM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
Nice find !
Welcome to the club !!

stunner!
Old 08-19-22, 06:51 PM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Niiice find, so clean, congrats. Not much to add, 100% agree with what has been said. Definitely a ‘72 (maybe ‘73) model, racing oriented so IMHO doesn’t deserve light/generator, rack or pie plate, I’d definitely bring it back to its original build with Maillard hubs, Mavic rims and most likely an Idéale saddle. And can only confirm: get a proper 23,35 crank puller, the crank will be grateful…
Agreed, I’ve already started removing parts.
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Sacrilege to some, but I converted my '72 PX-10 to a 650b all-road ride (and it is fantastic), but in this case, with this amazing condition, I gotta agree with the 'keep/return it to original (as much as practical)' sentiment!
Sounds awesome to me
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
You should dip the two ends of that Campy pump head in Plasti-Dip, so they do not damage your paint.

Alternatively, you can often buy or find little plastic covers for them, if you look around.
Definitely a Great idea.
Old 08-19-22, 06:52 PM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I agree with bikemig about the wheels, I love Campy Tipo hubs and I ride them on many bikes. I like Normandy Competition hubs laced to tubulars too, but if it were my bike, even if I aquired the original wheelset I’d likely still ride these Tipo wheels. This is a beautiful PX10! Congratulations.
Thank you!
Old 08-19-22, 07:43 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
Also have a good hard look at that stem .
Looks to be one that is prone to failure apparently .
There was thread on here recently about it . (and in the past )
"AVA death sTem " ?
Only a problem if raised too high. There is no "Minimum Insertion" line engraved, so it is up to you to ensure it has 6 cm or more inserted. If you need the bars higher, replace the stem with a taller one.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-19-22, 08:04 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

one check you may wish to make would be to see if the hardwood plug be yet in residence at the austral end o' the steerer

-----
Also check to see if there is a cork in the seat tube, though I think that may have only been on slightly older models. I have heard from about a dozen people who found them in their PXes though, so I'm pretty sure it was done at the factory.

If it is there, I'd remove it, lest you see this someday:

In case you can't tell from the pic, that is the seat tube, rust-perforated all the way around, i.e. the seat tube is in two pieces.
That happened because the bike was ridden in the rain. In theory, it might only take one time, but most likely it was habitual. The spray off the back tire hits the slit in the back of the seat lug, and thus enters the seat tube. Normally it would drain down to the BB shell, but the cork causes a puddle of water to stay right on top of the cork. The tiny gap that allowed the water to enter isn't big enough to allow much evaporation, especially in our cool damp climate in Seattle, so the puddle can stay there doing its dirty work, as long as it takes.

I love the irony of this happening just below the INOXYDABLE (un-rustable) decal. "How's that workin' out for ya?"

I repaired that frame, by splicing in a new piece of 28 mm (French diameter) Reynolds 531 with a backing tube inside it, that's brazed to the good unrusted metal above and below the ruined part. Probably too much work for such a common frame in such bad condition, but I hated to throw it away, and I'm a hobbyist.

This Flickr story is incomplete, doesn't show it after brazing. I may upload more pics later, but it's on hold for now while I decide what to do next. The braze came out great, but a complete paint job is too expensive, and it looks really crappy as-is. Knowing me, I'll probably hang it on a hook for 10 years, then decide what to do.

Edit: I feel a need to insist that it wasn't me who allowed this to happen! I was given the frame for free, so all I have invested in it besides my time is some brazing rod, acetylene and oxygen, and my time that I count as hobby time, no dollar value.

All my bikes have fenders except a couple that are for sunny days only, and even those get taken apart and aired out now and then, with a spritz of Frame Saver or some such for good measure. There's no way I'd allow a cork in my seat tube, and my bottom brackets have drain holes.

Mark B

Last edited by bulgie; 08-19-22 at 08:10 PM.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-20-22, 12:42 PM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by Schreck83
That's a real beauty.
The front fork decal looks to be adrift in the first two photos you posted. These are usually pretty fragile, yet you seem to have successfully re-attached them. How did you do this?
Just gently pushed it back into its position. It seems like the adhesive became soft from the SoCal sun beams lol
Old 08-20-22, 12:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
A time capsule...
Makes me realize just how Frankenised my Wall Hanger PR-10 is... Ha
Old 08-20-22, 12:58 PM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Also check to see if there is a cork in the seat tube, though I think that may have only been on slightly older models. I have heard from about a dozen people who found them in their PXes though, so I'm pretty sure it was done at the factory.

If it is there, I'd remove it, lest you see this someday:

In case you can't tell from the pic, that is the seat tube, rust-perforated all the way around, i.e. the seat tube is in two pieces.
That happened because the bike was ridden in the rain. In theory, it might only take one time, but most likely it was habitual. The spray off the back tire hits the slit in the back of the seat lug, and thus enters the seat tube. Normally it would drain down to the BB shell, but the cork causes a puddle of water to stay right on top of the cork. The tiny gap that allowed the water to enter isn't big enough to allow much evaporation, especially in our cool damp climate in Seattle, so the puddle can stay there doing its dirty work, as long as it takes.

I love the irony of this happening just below the INOXYDABLE (un-rustable) decal. "How's that workin' out for ya?"

I repaired that frame, by splicing in a new piece of 28 mm (French diameter) Reynolds 531 with a backing tube inside it, that's brazed to the good unrusted metal above and below the ruined part. Probably too much work for such a common frame in such bad condition, but I hated to throw it away, and I'm a hobbyist.

This Flickr story is incomplete, doesn't show it after brazing. I may upload more pics later, but it's on hold for now while I decide what to do next. The braze came out great, but a complete paint job is too expensive, and it looks really crappy as-is. Knowing me, I'll probably hang it on a hook for 10 years, then decide what to do.

Edit: I feel a need to insist that it wasn't me who allowed this to happen! I was given the frame for free, so all I have invested in it besides my time is some brazing rod, acetylene and oxygen, and my time that I count as hobby time, no dollar value.

All my bikes have fenders except a couple that are for sunny days only, and even those get taken apart and aired out now and then, with a spritz of Frame Saver or some such for good measure. There's no way I'd allow a cork in my seat tube, and my bottom brackets have drain holes.

Mark B
Wow, thats Incredibly informative and terrifying at the same time. Thanks Mark!
Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 08-20-22, 01:17 PM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I am amazed that this still has the original metal dork disc on it. I have discovered a few of these bikes here in the SF Bay Area over the years. I have my own set of modifications I do to them, as projects, to produce a more reliable rider for myself, as a heavier rider, with wide feet. Those Pletscher racks were dreadful, but they were ubiquitous back then, because cheap and widely marketed. There have been many better rear racks made and abandoned to the used parts stream since those days, if you want to keep a rack on it for bags. Those generator lights never worked all that well, and the lights available now, with rechargeable Li ion batteries seem to work well, if you need lighting.

Look in this thread for some suggestions for workable upgrades and modifications that still remain true to character: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...on-thread.html

Thanks for the wealth of info!
Old 08-20-22, 01:56 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The front "delrin" derailleur though is prone to cracking; don't be surprised if you need to replace it. A campy FD would work fine.
A little black paint and perhaps no one would notice the switch.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 08-20-22, 02:04 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 859 Posts
Nice find!

Firstly, I wouldn't actually use that front derailer, it may crack shortly after tensioning it's clamp bolt or within a year or less anyway. Maybe use an adhesive, so as not to have to tension it much at all.

The wheels are likely Italian-threaded, ...but is the freewheel? I would firstly check that out (if by chance it's a French-made freewheel, anyway).

The spoke disc appears to be Japanese(?).

Inspect your death-stem, ...in the event that someone may have attempted to twist the quill loose without first striking the loosened expander bolt.

The bike will look great with narrow 27" Paselas imho, and braking will be stronger than with 700c rims.

I've actually removed many Mod93 crankarms using the TA-sized remover, but usually by first tightening the tool only moderately, and then jumping on the pedals with the tool in place and tensioned. Using reversing torque cycles on the square tapers, the tool's driver bolt will be found to accept a bit more turning with each few applications of jumping on the horizontally-disposed crankarms.

Last edited by dddd; 08-20-22 at 02:07 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 08-20-22, 02:30 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
The FD is fine. There is very little downward pressure on these things. It need only be tightened enough not to twist when you shift.
Old 08-21-22, 12:46 AM
Yune_Garage 

Originally Posted by dddd
Nice find!

Firstly, I wouldn't actually use that front derailer, it may crack shortly after tensioning it's clamp bolt or within a year or less anyway. Maybe use an adhesive, so as not to have to tension it much at all.

The wheels are likely Italian-threaded, ...but is the freewheel? I would firstly check that out (if by chance it's a French-made freewheel, anyway).

The spoke disc appears to be Japanese(?).

Inspect your death-stem, ...in the event that someone may have attempted to twist the quill loose without first striking the loosened expander bolt.

The bike will look great with narrow 27" Paselas imho, and braking will be stronger than with 700c rims.

I've actually removed many Mod93 crankarms using the TA-sized remover, but usually by first tightening the tool only moderately, and then jumping on the pedals with the tool in place and tensioned. Using reversing torque cycles on the square tapers, the tool's driver bolt will be found to accept a bit more turning with each few applications of jumping on the horizontally-disposed crankarms.
Originally Posted by Classtime
The FD is fine. There is very little downward pressure on these things. It need only be tightened enough not to twist when you shift.

Thank you for the suggestions! When I removed the FD, I realized it was cracked where the shifter cable stops. Its no wonder it moved freely on the seat tube
Old 08-21-22, 09:07 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts

-----

the forum had quite a lively thread on this subject just last year -

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lca-pumps.html

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-21-22, 12:19 PM
VeloPeugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Amazing bike! I just bought a Peugeot that looks similar today
Likes For VeloPeugeot:
Old 08-21-22, 01:06 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Originally Posted by VeloPeugeot
Amazing bike! I just bought a Peugeot that looks similar today
I'm sorry, but we are unable to just take your word for it...... Photos, or it didn't happen!
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 08-21-22, 01:12 PM
VeloPeugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I'm sorry, but we are unable to just take your word for it...... Photos, or it didn't happen!
Been trying to figure that out - this forum won't let me post pictures until I have at least ten posts made
Likes For VeloPeugeot:
Old 08-21-22, 01:21 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by VeloPeugeot
Been trying to figure that out - this forum won't let me post pictures until I have at least ten posts made
There is a way to create a gallery and put photos in it in your profile, then another more 'senior' member can post the photos in the thread. TBH, though, I've never created a gallery, so I'm not exactly sure where you find the page to do it......
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 08-21-22, 01:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts

I've found that short pieces of aquarium aerator tubing work well (or medical oxygen tubing).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pump-head.jpg (67.8 KB, 85 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.