Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

tour de france

Old 04-13-22, 03:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
MinnMan , I don't think jdogg111 intended to insert himself into this forum. Moderator Niedermeyer introduced him to us. But good words anyway..
Ah, I see. He got booted over here. Well....whatever.

I do understand that there are those who tune in every year for the TdF, paying little attention the rest of the year. Apart from missing out on most of the interesting racing, I think it must lessen their understanding of what is going on at the big event and leads to a reductionist story line that begins only where last year's race left off. no wonder there's so much focus on the GC, when there are so many other interesting dimensions to a grand tour.
Old 04-13-22, 05:01 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
I don't think jdogg111 intended to insert himself into this forum. Moderator Niedermeyer introduced him to us.
Hey Forum Member Flounder, the OP says he is a huge fan of the Tour de France and asked if the were any serious American contenders. The TdF is a Professional cycling event and any American riders in the race would then be professionals.

This is the correct place for this thread.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-14-22, 12:55 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts
And since he's already met Lenny, Mohammed, Jugdish, Lance, Johan, and Clayton, there's plenty to talk about.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 04-14-22, 02:58 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
can only hope the mods continue to redirect the ubiquitous and inevitable yearly tdf threads in "road cycling" and other forums into
"professional cycling." those poor, thread-starting slobs have no idea what's coming their way. historically (at least in the last decade),
it hasn't happened. should be a bleeping pledge-fest. thinking imma legacy by now. prob wrong as usual. wearing my pledge-pin anywhoo. should be plenty of underwear in the trees and toilets exploding. and we always wonder why the "professional cycling" forum has such a bad rep...

Last edited by diphthong; 04-14-22 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-14-22, 06:59 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
thanks for the input. i'd love to tune in to any race i can find. my wonderful cable providers only offer a few races a year, tour de france, tour of calif and colorado if i'm not mistaken. any websites i can keep up to date with races, riders, etc i'd love to know about. i'm very close to retirement after 50 yrs of work so i'll finally have some time. it would be terrific to have a bike based cable station ala like the big ten, sec does.
Old 04-14-22, 09:09 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by jdogg111
thanks for the input. i'd love to tune in to any race i can find. my wonderful cable providers only offer a few races a year, tour de france, tour of calif and colorado if i'm not mistaken. any websites i can keep up to date with races, riders, etc i'd love to know about. i'm very close to retirement after 50 yrs of work so i'll finally have some time. it would be terrific to have a bike based cable station ala like the big ten, sec does.
Tours of CA and CO are kaput. UT, too. Various issues. Not just Covid. May they return in some form eventually. It doesn't look like it will be this year. Besides national championships and local races, the top US racing is gravel and an emerging crit series.

You can find a ton of old stuff on YouTube.

Best access at a reasonable price is a GCN+ subscription (~ $50/year) and then force-multiply it by getting a VPN so you can "go" to whatever countries are not geo-restricted for a given race. Live and on demand. That is how I will watch le Tour. And the Giro. And the Vuelta. And have been watching the spring classics. And will tune in to the Hell of the North this Sunday. Etc. Etc.

I think NBC is going to make you pay for Peacock for le Tour this year. Double check that. If you have to spend, GCN is a VASTLY superior product.
Old 04-14-22, 09:14 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Tours of CA and CO are kaput. UT, too.
They are?!?!? I was hoping to catch the latest installments…along with Tour DuPont…this year.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 04-14-22 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-14-22, 09:27 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
can only hope the mods continue to redirect the ubiquitous and inevitable yearly tdf threads in "road cycling" and other forums into
"professional cycling." those poor, thread-starting slobs have no idea what's coming their way. historically (at least in the last decade),
it hasn't happened. should be a bleeping pledge-fest. thinking imma legacy by now. prob wrong as usual. wearing my pledge-pin anywhoo. should be plenty of underwear in the trees and toilets exploding. and we always wonder why the "professional cycling" forum has such a bad rep...
Didn't there used to be a doping / Voldemort forum where anything spouting on about extra-legal pharmaceuticals and/or He who shall not be named got portaged over to? That was probably years ago. Or maybe another board. I remember looking for it last year when there was some incursion, but it has gone the way of the dinosaur and flip-flop hubs.

Perhaps as a public service we could craft some FAQs and maybe get them stuck to the top of this forum. Everyone reads those, right?

Wait, that sounds too helpful and not nearly curmudgeonly enough. Where are my meds?
Likes For slcbob: