Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Enviolo + mid-drive = bad?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 02:01 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

Looks like someone isn't happy with his brand new cargo bike powered by an Enviolo 380 gear hub and Bosch Cargo Line 4 Cruise mid-drive motor, although he was told by the LBS to be light on the pedals when changing gears.

This is not the first time I read about issues with the Enviolo and mid-drive motors: Is that gear hub simply to be avoided for that particular setup?

Thank you.
--
Edit: Could it be it's just a broken freewheel?

Last edited by Winfried; 05-31-22 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 08:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Haven't really seen a major problem so it could be an issue with the hub. We sell a ton of Enviolo equipped e-bikes and we have had occasional problems with people being rough with the shifter when not pedaling and wrecking cables and the cassette joint (or whatever they call it). Certainly you would be best to consider the cargo hub from Enviolo but one would hope they already spec'd that. I would take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

Not sure what your problem is as the video glitches out on me and I don't tend to download random stuff but the shop should be able to look and hopefully determine what is wrong either that or Enviolo could help.

Yes easing up on the pedals while shifting is good practice. It is what I do with my Rohloff hub now and it works well (I have a gen4 Performance Line Speed motor and am a bigger rider myself)
Old 06-01-22, 04:08 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
It's not mine. I asked because I read other people having issues with mid-drive and Enviolo hubs.

I also read from another user that the cables used by Enviolo aren't as strong as those from eg. Shimano, which is a second reason to not try and shift all the way at stand-still. Unfortunately, not all bike shops warn riders about that feature of Enviolo hubs: People expect to be able to shift down all the way, like with a Shimano or Rohloff.

In that particular video, if it's just the freewheel that needs replacement, it should be easy.
Old 06-01-22, 05:04 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
It's not mine. I asked because I read other people having issues with mid-drive and Enviolo hubs.

I also read from another user that the cables used by Enviolo aren't as strong as those from eg. Shimano, which is a second reason to not try and shift all the way at stand-still. Unfortunately, not all bike shops warn riders about that feature of Enviolo hubs: People expect to be able to shift down all the way, like with a Shimano or Rohloff.

In that particular video, if it's just the freewheel that needs replacement, it should be easy.
It is a dual cable system and people can be a bit rough with it. Same cables just two of them.

I haven't seen many issues but things occasionally happen with any system.