Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Silver downtube shifters

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Silver downtube shifters

Old 01-03-12, 06:19 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Silver downtube shifters

Considering buying a set of these Silver shifters from Rivendell for an 80's bike with Shimano 600 levers that won't stay put. They are actually shaped a lot like the Shimanos and the description sounds like they may be worth it. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them?
https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/sh11.htm
Old 01-03-12, 07:18 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I have a Jamis with them, my Riv uses the barend version and have ridden a few other bikes with other brands/types of downtube shifters and I think the silvers are among the best. I like the look of the old campagnolo downtube shifters better, but the silvers work better. Of course they are only friction shifting so if you want indexed downtube shifters you need to look elsewhere. The silvers are really smooth operating but they also stay put and don't ghostshift, assuming they are tightened enough. They just work well.
Old 01-03-12, 07:35 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I have a set as bar-ends also and I think they are the best fiction shifters that I have tried.
Old 01-03-12, 07:43 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Thanks for the input. The RD is index capable, but I'm only caring about friction shifting for this bike.
Old 01-04-12, 11:25 AM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of these from VO several years back. I had been using Shimano's 8-sp DT indexed shifters.
I wound up sending the VO shifters back and converting to Shimano 9-sp Deore DT shifters.
What I didn't like about the VO shifters (which I believe are exactly the same as the Riv version) is the ratchet. You move the shifter to bring the RD into your gear selection and the shifter "falls back" to the nearest ratchet. This fall back effectively un-trims the shift, putting you slightly off gear. So, you must learn how to slightly over shift to let the shifter fall back to a (hopefully) correct trim. Argh!

I'd love to see VO/Riv bring out a true friction shifter with out ratchet. ie campy's record era.

Try em. Maybe you'll love em.
Old 01-04-12, 11:57 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I've always seen the ratcheting as a plus. I usually have to over shift slightly to get the chain to move to the desired gear and letting it fall to the next ratchet stop trims it fine.

Spiff: I have some old Suntour friction DT shifters that don't ratchet if you'd like to try them. I don't need them.

A little different style than Shimanos....

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 01-04-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-05-12, 08:11 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Spiff: I have some old Suntour friction DT shifters that don't ratchet if you'd like to try them. I don't need them.
Thanks. I'll let you know. Might try again to get the original 600EX levers to hold better. Not in a rush, as this is a spare bike.
Old 01-05-12, 09:09 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 914 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Thanks. I'll let you know. Might try again to get the original 600EX levers to hold better. Not in a rush, as this is a spare bike.
Is the screw very tight, but the lever is still too loose ?
Maybe you're missing a washer or one of the internals is flipped ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-05-12, 09:14 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11794 Post(s)
Liked 6,295 Times in 3,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie

Handsome bike.
Old 01-05-12, 09:24 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Handsome bike.
Thanks. It's been updated since then.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-05-12, 09:49 AM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
I'd search Ebay for a nice set of Dura Ace or 600 shifters. Even a set of Suntour Superbe's would look really nice and work very nice as well.
Old 01-05-12, 09:54 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not an expert on these things, but on the set of 7400s I picked up recently there is a little star washer inside. It is worn (kind of squished by the pressure from tightening them down), and I believe it is the cause of the slippage I was getting. I fixed it by just going indexed, but I wonder if the washer was replaced it might fix the problem we're having.
Old 01-05-12, 10:59 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Originally Posted by Commodus
I'm not an expert on these things, but on the set of 7400s I picked up recently there is a little star washer inside. It is worn (kind of squished by the pressure from tightening them down), and I believe it is the cause of the slippage I was getting. I fixed it by just going indexed, but I wonder if the washer was replaced it might fix the problem we're having.
I do think there is a washer worn. I tighten it down fully and the lever still slips under tension. I roughed up the mating surfaces a little and it holds better than before, but still not great. I guess if I do a little research, I can find some appropriate replacement internals.
Old 01-07-12, 06:30 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
The washer wears on DT shifters and that causes the problem. Back in the day it was an easy fix but nowadays I'd imagine spare parts are rare to non-existent. Have heard good things about the Riv shifters but haven't used them. I friction shift my FD even on modern bikes due to circumstances pretty much unique to myself and use SunTours that I regularly find on eBay but they are ratcheting.
Old 01-07-12, 08:31 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think those washers are special. At work I have bins full of 'em, various sizes. Maybe the size is odd, but worth have a look into.