Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wear Bright Clothing Please

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 06:37 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After lunch opened up the sun roof to our clear sky and the Hot 80 degree day for a drive home the long way. It is a two lane paved road we use a lot for cycling. Scenery is good and now there is cell phone coverage for most of the road.

I saw several folks on a variety of bikes. Then came the shock. Despite being a cyclist and looking for bikes I missed one. Pure luck it didn't have a bad outcome.

This idiot, yes, idiot, was riding on the fog line dressed in olive drab pants, with a dingy blue T and a backpack that blended perfectly with the background. His bike was a dull rust color. All this I discovered after passing him from a rear overtake.

I was looking for bikers. I know what bikers look like. But he essentially was camouflaged.

Please wear bright clothing. It might save you.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 06-02-13 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 06:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Flashing lights can be helpful.
Old 06-02-13, 06:43 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anything to make yourself more visible works.
Old 06-02-13, 06:44 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
No offense, but if you hit someone who is right in front of you, it's not their fault. Perhaps you have reached "that time" in life. Please have your vision checked in its entirety, as in a full visual field and acuity test. Deteriorating vision has a way of sneaking up on us and no one wants to cause avoidable harm to others. Well, no good person does and all the people in this forum are good people, so there is no need to address the 0.001%.
Old 06-02-13, 07:27 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Saw a roadie yesterday (as in daytime) with a bright white flashing front light. It was very effective. I looked in the mirror after we passed and he had a red rear light, but the batteries were obviously on their last legs and the light was not nearly as effective.

Harsh shadows can make a cyclist disappear from a motorist's sight irrespective of the brightness of the colour. Dirty windscreens and low-setting sun are two other problems that cyclists don't necessarily think about, but may need to be managed in picking either a route or the time of day to take that route.
Old 06-02-13, 07:41 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
What is the significance of there being good cell phone coverage?
Old 06-02-13, 08:31 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Flashing lights ARE helpful. The brightest you can afford, on strobe mode.
Old 06-02-13, 08:51 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Flashing lights ARE helpful. The brightest you can afford, on strobe mode.
Light and Motion Taz 1200 for the front: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...FZPm7AodLwIAww

Dinotte 400R for the rear: https://store.dinottelighting.com/day...ount-p188.aspx
Old 06-02-13, 09:03 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I have red T shirts, a red jersey and red headbands. I'm safety conscious.
Old 06-02-13, 09:17 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by Zinger
I have red T shirts, a red jersey and red headbands. I'm safety conscious.
Red has been indicated over a number of test over decades to be one of the worst colours, especially in shadows and in low light.

A quick search brought up this discussion:

https://www.ambulancevisibility.com/index.php?p=1_16

I would rethink your strategy and perhaps opt for bright yellow-green.
Old 06-02-13, 09:40 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Rowan
Red has been indicated over a number of test over decades to be one of the worst colours, especially in shadows and in low light.

A quick search brought up this discussion:

https://www.ambulancevisibility.com/index.php?p=1_16

I would rethink your strategy and perhaps opt for bright yellow-green.
Interesting. I've been wrong since the '70s ?
You would think that green would be somewhat camo with the roadside foliage
but maybe I'll keep my eyes out for a tall man's green jersey with a horizontal
yellow stripe.....If there is one. I'll dig out my bright yellow T shirt out now.

Server for that link is down but I'll take your word for it.
Old 06-02-13, 10:05 PM
Rowan

The yellow-green is a colour in its own right, not a combination of a green with a yellow stripe. Just to clarify what is being discussed. It's now the predominant colour on roadside worksites in many places, having replaced orange.
Old 06-02-13, 10:09 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Interesting. I've been wrong since the '70s ?
You would think that green would be somewhat camo with the roadside foliage
but maybe I'll keep my eyes out for a tall man's green jersey with a horizontal
yellow stripe.....If there is one. I'll dig out my bright yellow T shirt out now.

Server for that link is down but I'll take your word for it.
Remember that a lot of people are red-green color blind as I am. Dark red and dark green in lower light look the same to me and for severe cases they all look grey.

Look at what color road construction workers wear and take your cues from that!
Old 06-02-13, 10:19 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Rowan
The yellow-green is a colour in its own right, not a combination of a green with a yellow stripe. Just to clarify what is being discussed. It's now the predominant colour on roadside worksites in many places, having replaced orange.
OK I don't think I'm quite ready for lime green just yet

I hardly ever get caught out towards dusk. Nashbar has a bright blue looking tall man's jersey I might check out. I'll look around and do some research.

Last edited by Zinger; 06-02-13 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 11:01 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
What is the significance of there being good cell phone coverage?
For this thread just one factor why a lot of us use that road. Needed for the thread? Probably not.

For me, as a local, it is interesting because not that long ago there wasn't any in that area. I ride solo a lot and it is sort of nice, but not needed, to have cell coverage in case I get bumped by a moose, or have a mechanical I can't deal with, etc.
Old 06-02-13, 11:11 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
No offense, but if you hit someone who is right in front of you, it's not their fault. Perhaps you have reached "that time" in life. Please have your vision checked in its entirety, as in a full visual field and acuity test. Deteriorating vision has a way of sneaking up on us and no one wants to cause avoidable harm to others. Well, no good person does and all the people in this forum are good people, so there is no need to address the 0.001%.
Just returned home from a good hard, hill ride. My rehab is coming along very well. Plus, it gave me an opportunity to think about your post. I decided I could answer in a couple ways:
-I could take it to my Optometrist and DMV and tell them their exams weren't very good. A person from Oregon gave me a vision test via the internet and although he couched it in "polite" terms told me I couldn't see.
-Or, I could suggest that maybe we have differing views on what is a close call and suggest you do the math on what distance/time is close for a car traveling 60mph overtaking a bike doing at most 8mph. I think any closer than a couple seconds is too close in traffic that fast.
-Or, I could remind the poster from Oregon that one of the most common excuses for incidents and accidents between bikes and motor vehicles is the motorist "not seeing" the cyclist and this situation fits that in spades.
-Or, I could just enjoy our heat wave and hard breathing and shaky legs and remember this IS the internet, home of questionable comments and just ignore the whole thing.

I decided to ignore it and enjoy the day and evening. Right now it is 2100 local; the sun is low in the northern sky, there is a light breeze and the mosquitoes are on the other side of the screen. Life is good.
Old 06-02-13, 11:27 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
After lunch opened up the sun roof to our clear sky and the Hot 80 degree day for a drive home the long way. It is a two lane paved road we use a lot for cycling. Scenery is good and now there is cell phone coverage for most of the road.

I saw several folks on a variety of bikes. Then came the shock. Despite being a cyclist and looking for bikes I missed one. Pure luck it didn't have a bad outcome.

This idiot, yes, idiot, was riding on the fog line dressed in olive drab pants, with a dingy blue T and a backpack that blended perfectly with the background. His bike was a dull rust color. All this I discovered after passing him from a rear overtake.

I was looking for bikers. I know what bikers look like. But he essentially was camouflaged.

Do cyclist follow the same advice with a car purchase?

Raise your hands, how many only drive a neon yellow car?

How many drive cars that are read or darker colors?
Old 06-03-13, 12:47 AM
GFish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Do cyclist follow the same advice with a car purchase?

Raise your hands, how many only drive a neon yellow car?

How many drive cars that are read or darker colors?
How many bikes weight 2000+ lbs and travel 55mph on flat roads?

Safety is always a concern when riding on the road, the OP's message is still a good one.
Old 06-03-13, 01:25 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Doesn't matter what colour you wear-they will all get lost in the background somewhere. I have seen yellow get lost in a field of Brassica Napus (Oilseed Ra pe) Black can stand out very well in town situations with grey Concrete buildings but in general brighter colours do get noticed very well. Best I have seen is any combination of two contrasting co;lours and the 50+ jersey is a good example of this being red but a large expanse of white in the shield.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-03-13, 02:22 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by stapfam
Doesn't matter what colour you wear-they will all get lost in the background somewhere. I have seen yellow get lost in a field of Brassica Napus (Oilseed Ra pe) Black can stand out very well in town situations with grey Concrete buildings but in general brighter colours do get noticed very well. Best I have seen is any combination of two contrasting co;lours and the 50+ jersey is a good example of this being red but a large expanse of white in the shield.
They're nice looking jerseys alright and I thought about that. I better go with a tall mans and they don't have one. Besides, I'm 60+.....How time flies.
Old 06-03-13, 03:44 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look at my avatar and you'll see I definitely wear hi-viz gear. I have two rear lights--a Radbot 1000(1W w/ reflector) on the seatstay and a Cygolite Hotshot(2W) on the seat bag. On the front, I actually have two lights as well--a MagicShine 808e(1000 lumens), low at night and blinking in the day, and a Cygolite Metro 300(always on Daylight flash). I constantly get comments about how bright and visible the lights are, especially during the day. I don't care if anyone thinks it's too much or if they think I look like a dork. I'd rather be a live dork than a dead/injured cool roadie.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 06-03-13 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 03:48 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have blinking light at the front and rear of the bike , wear either Mapei team kit or a Giro D'italia pink jersey on every ride . No problem so far . I can not understand why cyclists are wearing black kit these days . It is hard to spot them in the traffic with cars around them .
's
Old 06-03-13, 04:09 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HawkOwl

I remember seeing (but only when I was very close) a cyclist wearing camoflaged clothing while riding down a road with hedges both sides. It seems to me it's one thing to wear clothes that don't stand out all that well but wearing clothes specifically designed to not be seen is a new level in stupid.

That said I've been out wearing a fluorescent yellow jacket on a clear day and still had people apparently not see me.
Old 06-03-13, 04:19 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well worth repeating.

It's surprising how often bright orange can disappear against a sunset, bright yellow disappear against a field of oilseed, bright green disappear against rolling fields in different shades of green. My hi-vis vest is two-tone (yellow/orange) with reflective stripes, and I increasingly think that striking designs are likely to be better than a uniform mass of a single colour. Basically anything that will stand out whatever is behind it.
Old 06-03-13, 04:49 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
I read somewhere that white is best for daylight visibility and yellow for dusk/dark, but I still think the yellow/green is best overall.
Most in the UK, as far as I have noticed, prefer various shades of dull. I've rarely seen bright colo(u)rs on cyclists of any ilk.
You must be the exception, Stap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.