Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Solidarity with motor bikers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-15-22, 10:16 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts

Do you think there is solidarity between cyclists and bikers? We both ride on two wheels and face being hit by cagers. Most people I've talked to seem to think there is no solidarity between us, but I kind of disagree with that. Two wheels good four weels bad.
Old 01-15-22, 10:33 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts

lol. Lord, no.

They’re laughing at bicyclists doing it the hard way.

in Lycra.

if they even give bicyclists half a thought

(long time motorcyclist riding bicycles a lot more now)

Last edited by gpburdell; 01-15-22 at 10:45 PM.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 01-15-22, 10:42 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
As far as "solidarity" I dunno.

Most 2 wheel, leather jacket, bad mo-fo types also tend to be moderately affluent, wife/2 kid, mortgage, giant pick-up truck, high-bills types that as a coping mechanism also fancy themselves as the independent, "eff-em'-if they're-not-already-on-my-side" on the weekend poser types. The loud pipes & leather Banditos affiliate jacket is their big buy-in to the: "I get to be a jerk like I really wanna be IRL so I can be one of the the cool kids." group.

The challenge is to relate to Mr. Established, middle-income Billy Rebel riding on the 30k Harley Dyna-Status-Glide with the knuckle-pan mojo is to make a connection on their level...The relate is: vulnerability of being on 2 wheels, out in the open, exposed, being different, & being disregarded. They want to see the scenery, but also want to be part of the scene on a first-hand basis, too.

I've found that once the connection is made, it's something they readily understand & relate to...So, maybe? But, understanding bicycling is something that must be served to them. They've been conditioned to believe horsepower is power is authenticity, bad-assity.

I know I put over 100,000 miles on my eleven-hundred dollar KZ1000 police bike. Only rarely was I not alone in the designated motorcycle parking area of my work when the 37 degree rains arrived. That tells you all you need to know about Mr. McRebel.

Last edited by base2; 01-15-22 at 11:55 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-15-22, 11:16 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
When I did both, i felt there was a common joy of two wheeling, for sure. Often I'd follow a bike ride with a motor bike ride.

But motorsport enthusiasts value horsepower, speed, and sound. In that world, bicycles are weak, stupidly slow, and squeaky.
Old 01-15-22, 11:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I always assumed those Harleys were made of sugar. I’ve never seen one out on a rainy day.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-15-22, 11:46 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Do you think there is solidarity between cyclists and bikers?

IMO, none whatsoever (unless on the outside chance that they too are a cyclist).

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-15-22, 11:49 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
You trying to be a Sons of Anarchy prospect?
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 01-16-22, 12:10 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
If you love bicycles and happen to have ridden (or still ride) motorcycles than you can imagine connections. Generally though, few motorcyclists want to be seen or known to ride bicycles. Unless they're very sure of themselves ie don't give a rip what anyone else thinks.

If you're a scooterist on the other hand...

Now you're making me want the one type of two wheeler I haven't had; a true moped. Pedals and a motor. Er, engine.
Old 01-16-22, 12:10 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
You trying to be a Sons of Anarchy prospect?
No I think he is trying to do Wild Hogs
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-16-22, 12:12 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Friend of mine has written and done photo shoots for motorcycle magazines for decades. He rides on and off road. I asked him if he ever wanted to try mountain biking. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, “Why would I want to work that hard peddling?”

There was literally zero connection.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-16-22 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-16-22, 12:38 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I work with a guy who whines and complains about people on pedal assist bikes . He says they are fat slobs who cannot even ride a normal bike because they are too out of shape.
And with the same breath he complains these bikers take up road space as he rides his motorcycle on the same road.
So, no, I don't see the solidarity
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 01-16-22, 01:31 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
No solidarity with rock climbers either. A favorite place to unleash loud and bothersome exhaust noise is in the Yosemite Valley. The sound echoes off the granite walls for the listening pleasure of those trying to enjoy nature's beauty.
This also annoys the climbers scaling the big walls.
One time a bunch of bikers cruised up to some climbers hanging along the side of the road in Tuolumne Meadows.

One of the bikers looked at rack of gear that rock climber extraordinaire Jim Bridwell was wearing an asked, "what are those carabiners made out of boy?"

Bridwell gave them the stern look and replied "ground up Harley parts."

They got on their bikes and left, smart enough to know they would get their ass whooped by a bunch of climbers.
Old 01-16-22, 03:53 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
I've ridden both for years. H@ll no.
Old 01-16-22, 04:02 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
No solidarity with rock climbers either. A favorite place to unleash loud and bothersome exhaust noise is in the Yosemite Valley. The sound echoes off the granite walls for the listening pleasure of those trying to enjoy nature's beauty.
This also annoys the climbers scaling the big walls.
One time a bunch of bikers cruised up to some climbers hanging along the side of the road in Tuolumne Meadows.

One of the bikers looked at rack of gear that rock climber extraordinaire Jim Bridwell was wearing an asked, "what are those carabiners made out of boy?"

Bridwell gave them the stern look and replied "ground up Harley parts."

They got on their bikes and left, smart enough to know they would get their ass whooped by a bunch of climbers.
This is very funny.
Old 01-16-22, 07:03 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Agree here, I'm sure they think we are weirdo's.

There are two types of motor-bikers:
Motorcyclists - touring folks, with proper gear and mostly respectable people
Bikers - Harley folks, which run the gammut, but by my experience on roads here in Maryland, not respectful of bicyclists. In fact, many go out of there way to rev their motors loudly and swerve a little closer to me. One guy did that multiple times, on a very noticeable Harley. That guy came out to two flat tires at a local pub last summer. Not sure how that happened, but I smiled.

Originally Posted by gpburdell

lol. Lord, no.

They’re laughing at bicyclists doing it the hard way.

in Lycra.

if they even give bicyclists half a thought

(long time motorcyclist riding bicycles a lot more now)
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 01-16-22, 07:19 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
I'm pretty sure nobody likes us cyclists.
Old 01-16-22, 07:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Ha! I ride motorcycles and am a member of motorcycling forums. On one forum where the moderators let almost anything stand, they have had to shut down several bicycling threads on account of the mess they become. I'd say that the percentage of motorcyclists with negative attitudes toward bicyclists is about like it is across the general population.

I really don't get the pervasive anti-cycling mindset in our society. The level of outrage and indignation is way out of proportion to any inconvenience that cyclists pose.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-16-22, 07:46 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Warbird21
Agree here, I'm sure they think we are weirdo's.

There are two types of motor-bikers:
Motorcyclists - touring folks, with proper gear and mostly respectable people
Bikers - Harley folks, which run the gammut, but by my experience on roads here in Maryland, not respectful of bicyclists. In fact, many go out of there way to rev their motors loudly and swerve a little closer to me. One guy did that multiple times, on a very noticeable Harley. That guy came out to two flat tires at a local pub last summer. Not sure how that happened, but I smiled.
You forgot the ninjas types. They don't fit in either group.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 01-16-22, 08:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Having toured a good deal out west, I get the feeling that bikers feel more solidarity with cyclists than cyclists feel bikers. I’ve had a lot of them wave at me or give thumbs up, as if we are cousins or something.

With that said, I have had some nice interactions with them. For example, while descending Independence Pass to Aspen behind a small group the guy at the back pointed out rocks in the road for me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-16-22, 08:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Having toured a good deal out west, I get the feeling that bikers feel more solidarity with cyclists than cyclists feel bikers. I’ve had a lot of them wave at me or give thumbs up, as if we are cousins or something.

With that said, I have had some nice interactions with them. For example, while descending Independence Pass to Aspen behind a small group the guy at the back pointed out rocks in the road for me.

Interesting that you mention that road. As I was climbing from east to west, I pulled off to take a pic (not to rest, of course) A Harley rider pulled up. An older man and a girl who looked to be in her teens (I assumed his granddaughter) got off and started taking pics. I asked them if they wanted me to take their pic together. The guy seemed kinda taken aback and awkward, but was happy for me to do so. He seemed to become a little more comfortable talking to the guy in tights after we chatted for a while and eventually offered to take my pic. On the descent I passed a string of about 5 cars that were going slow. My interactions in the wide open spaces of the west have generally been very good.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-16-22, 10:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts
While we’re on this topic…
Someone above described the difference between motorcyclists, and “bikers.” I’d like to also point out that we who ride bicycles are sometimes erroneously referred to as ‘biker.’ For the 40 years that I’ve been riding bicycles, I’ve always understood that motorcycle riders are ‘bikers’ and bicycle riders are ‘cyclists.’

And, I don’t believe that this creates a solidarity with motorcycle riders either.
Link: Harley-Davidson to build replica bicycle

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-16-22 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-16-22, 12:02 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
A few years ago I was riding (and pushing) up the Kancamagus Highway on a beautiful September day. I got passed by about a million motorcycles. When I got to the scenic lookout at the top, I got a little cheer from the motorcyclists.
Also, I will add, none of them passed me close on the road. It had recently been repaved, and didn't even have lane markings yet.

Last edited by Pratt; 01-16-22 at 04:49 PM. Reason: New thought
Likes For Pratt:
Old 01-16-22, 12:45 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I wouldn't generally call it "solidarity," no.

In general, I'd say there's an overall disregard for those not engaging in similar mode of travel. Of course, I've done enough cycling, motorcycle riding and driving (of a car) to have experienced the occasional indication of solidarity ... if the moment's right, the scenery's spectacular, and folks are recognizing another appreciator of the moment. (A bit like, say, most folks ignoring each other along an average sidewalk, but most people recognizing one another with a simple smile and nod when coming across others at, say, a beautiful overlook watching the sunset. The "right" type of moment, the "right" type of people recognizing others who also came for the special nature of the time and place.)
Old 01-16-22, 12:48 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I ride bicycles, motorcycles and drive 4-wheels. I feel solidarity with myself......ask my wife.
Old 01-16-22, 01:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Any solidarity I have would be only with touring bikers that are out for a recreational ride, not racing and enjoying the outdoors.
The death wish racers in the canyons and mountains of SoCal, I want nothing to do with. Reckless and will take you out and not stop. A few years ago one overcooked a curve on Hwy 39 and East Fork OHV and launched himself. Likely a fatality. I avoid those asshats on the weekends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.