Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate Connection with GPS During Stops

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-05-22, 07:41 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts

I currently use my Garmin Forerunner as a heart rate sensor by broadcasting it to my Garmin Edge. I'm thinking about getting a heart rate strap, not because I think I need it, I just want to. I want to join a ride next month with several rest stops. My Edge is set up to auto pause so obviously it will be paused during these stops. What I'm curious about is if heart rate sensor will pick back up if I stray too far away from the bike during the break and it drops the connection.

I know the few times my Forerunner dropped during a ride I had to stop broadcasting and then restart broadcasting to get the HR data back and I figure I can do that during this ride. But does anyone have experience with a HR strap and will it just seamlessly reconnect if this happens?

Old 05-05-22, 08:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
A chest strap is on when it's on your chest. The battery is good for a year or two of use, when you wear it it picks up the electrical activity of your heart, that's what wakes it up. I think the Garmin watches in broadcast HR mode work differently, where they'll automatically turn off after a while of not being connected to anything. To save battery. The Edges I've had always picked my chest straps back up when I left range and came back.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-05-22, 09:01 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Thanks. That was the only thing I was wondering about. I didn't want to only have HR data for only the first 15 miles or so. Not that I do anything with it, I just don't like missing data.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-05-22, 09:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JGPDWSQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
This works with both of my Garmins (Edge 130 and Fenix 6x). Costs a lot less than the Garmin one. It's fun to spend money on bike toys, sometimes though you don't want to spend much on something you don't see a lot of value in.
Old 05-06-22, 04:39 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I think the Garmin watches in broadcast HR mode work differently, where they'll automatically turn off after a while of not being connected to anything. To save battery.
Sounds like a bug (or bad design).

If the watches (or anything) did this deliberately, you would not have to turn-off broadcasting (like the OP describes having to do).

There's an icon that is displayed when broadcasting. It would be bad if that icon is displayed when broadcasting is turned-off.

It's arguably a bad design to turn this off even with turning-off the icon because it's easy to forget to turn it on.

If it's using ANT+, I don't think it would work this way (ANT+ usually has no idea it's being received).

(I can't find anything that says the watches behave like this.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-06-22 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 04:40 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

The lower cost of that strap is attractive as this isn't something I would use every ride. The toy I can't bring myself to spend money on though is a power meter. I've become interested in increasing my VO2 Max while running but Garmin requires a power meter to give this information for cycling. There is a Velocomp PowerPod which isn't near as expensive as but I don't know how it is supposed to work not measuring pedal force like a pedal or crank sensor would.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-06-22, 06:16 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
The lower cost of that strap is attractive as this isn't something I would use every ride. The toy I can't bring myself to spend money on though is a power meter. I've become interested in increasing my VO2 Max while running but Garmin requires a power meter to give this information for cycling. There is a Velocomp PowerPod which isn't near as expensive as but I don't know how it is supposed to work not measuring pedal force like a pedal or crank sensor would.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/...th-review.html
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-06-22, 06:26 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
ANT+ is a broadcast protocol. The HRM - whether using your forerunner or a chest strap - broadcasts and the Edge listens for the broadcast data from the sensors it's been told to listen to (i.e. paired). So either your Forerunner is somehow stopping its broadcast or the Edge is somehow stopping listening. Kinda tough to discern which is the case. Either way this is a bug. I use my old fr235 with my edge 830 for HR and it remains rock solid even on 40mi rides with stops.

If you've not yet made sure everything's up to date on software and if you've not unpaired / re-paired the forerunner & edge, I'd do so first.

As for a different/new HRM - speaking from experience of many years running with chest straps... they can be a pain in the azz. especially in cooler months. You might wish to consider replacing the forerunner with a dedicated optical HRM armband. See https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...tickr-fit.html for some ideas.

Edit - as for power meters. Consider the Stages or 4iii crankarm mounted options. I chose the 4iii Precision 3 and have been happy with it. Choosing one vs other largely came down to which was available preinstalled on the crank arm at the point I was ready to buy.

Last edited by gpburdell; 05-06-22 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 10:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Most people have a lower VO2max on the bike than running, for what it's worth.
Old 05-06-22, 07:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
So to address this question, I did the following experiment:

Turned on heart rate broadcast on my Venu 2 and verified it was connected to my 530, and went for a ride. I arrived at my destination, and put the Garmin into sleep mode, which also turned off my radar. It did nothing to the watch, and I did not touch my watch. The watch continued to broadcast for the next hour and a half. Every so often, it would vibrate to remind me to turn off the heart rate broadcast, but I ignored that. After I finished what I was doing, I biked home. I had to turn the radar on manually when I woke up the Garmin 530. Theheart rate continued to broadcast and automatically rejoined. I did not have to do anything at all.

I assume this is the default setting, because I did not consciously change anything about heart rate broadcast mode (nor am I aware if this is even possible).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-06-22, 07:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Thank you. Your experiment seems to suggest this will do exactly what I want. Especially since it seemed to work with you putting the Garmin asleep. I'm running a half tomorrow so Sunday I may just tool around the neighborhood to loosen my hips and try a similar experiment with my Forerunner which is quite a bit older than your Venu to see if I get the same result.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-06-22, 08:02 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Most people have a lower VO2max on the bike than running, for what it's worth.
I honestly can't say I even understand what VO2 Max is. I run half two half marathons a year with a group that mentors teens. As I run at the pace of the teen I partner with, and generally cycle in the offseason, I don't even know if my running VO2 Max is accurate. But I noticed that as the girl I ran with this season started to run better, My VO2 Max improved. I just supposed that if I could measure it during cycling activities I could see how my cycling was doing rather than just estimating it by how I percieve it.

Old 05-07-22, 05:33 AM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
If you do not wish to spend a fortune on a power meter, please take a look at https://cykelstrom.com

I created this app for just this reason. It is not as accurate but gives pretty good power meter like estimates.

Chuck
Likes For OshkoshBiker:
Old 05-07-22, 07:06 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

Turned on heart rate broadcast on my Venu 2 and verified it was connected to my 530, and went for a ride. I arrived at my destination, and put the Garmin into sleep mode, which also turned off my radar. It did nothing to the watch, and I did not touch my watch. The watch continued to broadcast for the next hour and a half. Every so often, it would vibrate to remind me to turn off the heart rate broadcast, but I ignored that. After I finished what I was doing, I biked home. I had to turn the radar on manually when I woke up the Garmin 530. Theheart rate continued to broadcast and automatically rejoined. I did not have to do anything at all.

I assume this is the default setting, because I did not consciously change anything about heart rate broadcast mode (nor am I aware if this is even possible).
This is how it is supposed to work, and is also how it works with my FR235 and Edge 830.

If the OP is seeing different behavior, something is not working properly.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 05-07-22, 09:31 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by OshkoshBiker
If you do not wish to spend a fortune on a power meter, please take a look at https://cykelstrom.com

I created this app for just this reason. It is not as accurate but gives pretty good power meter like estimates.

Chuck
That looks great. Unfortunately I don't have a compatible device. Any chance of an iOS version?
Old 05-07-22, 10:02 AM
OshkoshBiker

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe version 2.0 will be for both Android and IOS, which will be some time from now.
Likes For OshkoshBiker:
Old 05-07-22, 11:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

One good experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions. 🙂
Old 05-07-22, 11:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by OshkoshBiker

Chuck
If you would like to expand your audience. And probably do some heavy lifting. This would be useful to the OP and probably many others if it could send the power estimates to a Garmin as if it were a hardware meter. That would allow the Garmin head unit to estimate VO2, which is what he would like to achieve.
Old 05-07-22, 12:46 PM
OshkoshBiker

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
If you would like to expand your audience. And probably do some heavy lifting. This would be useful to the OP and probably many others if it could send the power estimates to a Garmin as if it were a hardware meter. That would allow the Garmin head unit to estimate VO2, which is what he would like to achieve.
This is a terrific idea and very doable. I am going to look into it further. In consideration, send me your email address and you can be a test rider for my existing app for free.

Contact me at developer@cykelstrom.com

Kind regards, Chuck
Likes For OshkoshBiker:
Old 05-07-22, 01:31 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Thank you. email sent.