Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Remember "Eddie" from American Flyers?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-15-22, 04:50 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts

Classic cycling movie. On a training ride, "Eddie" chases them and 'eats' one of their shoes.

Today, I met my Eddiie. I was riding along a quiet road, with two houses on the left, and a pasture on the right. I saw what looked (to me) like a baby rhinoceros moving from the back yard of the second house on an intercept course on me. It was a Bull Mastiff, probably around 100 pounds, and he didn't look friendly.

I had a can of HALT! spray in my back jersey pocket, but had no intention of waiting to see how effective it would be on this brute of a dog. Up out of the saddle, quickly changed gears (thank you, Di2!) and did my best sprint effort to throw off his trigonometry calculations. Once he saw that I was now ahead of him, he quit - maybe because I had cleared his territory, maybe it was too hot for him (almost 90 degrees today) to run too far.

When I got home, I checked my power meter data. Not too bad for a 70 year old with three stents and a bad knee!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-16-22, 09:36 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Never saw "American Flyers", but have surprised myself a time or two that I could sprint and accelerate as quickly as I did. Used to be lots easier when I rode motorcycles, than on the bicycle! Sure several of us have animal stories. Friend of mine sent a pic of a bear on the rail trail he was riding in Vermont--wasn't that far up the trail. No chase story to be told, luckily.
Old 05-16-22, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Yeah, I always wonder about those that carry spray of some sort. If I stop, I'm unlikely to be able to get the spray out of my bag or pocket in time. Though likely, based on my experience, the dog too will stop in their tracks when I stop and become passive. No spray needed.

And if I try to pull the spray out while pedaling away, I certainly won't be able to pedal fast enough to accelerate away from them. I've so far never found a dog that I can't speed away from.
Old 05-16-22, 12:20 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Back when I was still a teen, 6-8 of us went on a bike ride, I was in the front group going up a small hill. big German Shepard type came running out of a driveway. It saw us in front first and came our way. I stood up and gave it everything I had. Got nowhere fast, I was so far forward my wheel spun. The guys behind me said my tire smoked.
Old 05-16-22, 06:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Classic cycling movie. On a training ride, "Eddie" chases them and 'eats' one of their shoes.

Today, I met my Eddiie. I was riding along a quiet road, with two houses on the left, and a pasture on the right. I saw what looked (to me) like a baby rhinoceros moving from the back yard of the second house on an intercept course on me. It was a Bull Mastiff, probably around 100 pounds, and he didn't look friendly.

I had a can of HALT! spray in my back jersey pocket, but had no intention of waiting to see how effective it would be on this brute of a dog. Up out of the saddle, quickly changed gears (thank you, Di2!) and did my best sprint effort to throw off his trigonometry calculations. Once he saw that I was now ahead of him, he quit - maybe because I had cleared his territory, maybe it was too hot for him (almost 90 degrees today) to run too far.

When I got home, I checked my power meter data. Not too bad for a 70 year old with three stents and a bad knee!
that is impressive power. Way to go.

Old 05-17-22, 11:38 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Eddy's a real sonofabi+ch.
Old 05-17-22, 12:37 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Last big dog chasing me continued along for the ride. I turned around to take him home after two miles. He was spent. Now days when I ride by he joins me for about 200 meters then turns around. When he comes screaming outta his yard ya thing hes gonna kill ya but then he starts wagging his tail and joins in... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 05-17-22 at 12:41 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 05-18-22, 02:54 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
My Eddie only has 3 legs.
He lost one leg in a hay baler accident. It just made him mad at the world.
In spite of 3 legs he is still a Cat-4 dog.
Likes For Lambkin55:
Old 05-20-22, 05:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Back in the 70's every spring our high school had what was called "mini week" where seniors were able to sign up for activities that were outside of normal classroom work. One of those activities was a week long bike tour. To qualify for the ride there were two shake down rides that were intended to weed out the weakest riders so as to not create a logistical problem during the actual ride. On the second qualifier ride we were out on a beautifully hilly country road with nothing but fields waiting to grow produce. Going up a particularly long climb for this area we heard a woman calling for Egor to "get back here!" We look and a very large German Shepard had given chase and was easily gaining on us!

Everyone in the group started cranking, however two got left behind and turned tail to go back down the hill as they missed the jump on the dog. This was the spring of 1978. A great spring it was!