Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Putting Superteam Carbon Wheels on a 7sp Freewheel with QR of the same 135mm size

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Putting Superteam Carbon Wheels on a 7sp Freewheel with QR of the same 135mm size

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 06:54 AM
alexanderef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks, I've got a very budget bike that's got a 7sp freewheel rear system, and I'm looking to upgrade the OEM wheels with some Superteam carbon wheels from Aliexpress, just to see how much of a difference it makes. The wheels support disc brakes, but I'd imagine they're also designed for bikes with larger cassettes than the 7sp freewheel I've got. I was wondering if the wheels I want to get would fit? They're both 10x135mm with quick release system, but I'm wondering if when attached, the rear shifter and brake pads will be in the right space for the wheel to drop in.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-22, 08:10 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 381 Posts
First I’d check that the carbon rims are compatible with rim brakes. If they are made for a cassette, you’ll need a 7 speed cassette and appropriate spacer to replace your freewheel. And you will certainly have to adjust your shifting and rear brake.
Old 05-20-22, 08:42 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Assume you will need to adjust derailleur end points and cable tension when installing any new rear wheel. These steps are not difficult but if you don't do it you run the risk of damaging your drivetrain, frame, or wheels. It's possible, although not very likely, everything will drop into place, but you still have to check before you ride it.

You are going to need to get a 7 speed cassette, and probably a spacer for behind the cassette because the freehub body on any new wheel will be for 9/10/11 speeds, which is physically wider than 7 speed.

ALso, installing carbon wheels on a bike with 7sp freewheel (if it's a modern bike this indicates it is very cheap) is called 'putting lipstick on a pig'. Although it likely will give you a noticeable upgrade, esp. if the bearings in the original wheels are of poor quality or/and need maintenance and the new wheels are of good quality and/or aren't in need of maintenance.

There is a well known video of a fellow who got an inexpensive bike online (bikesdirect?) and went out to test it to prove that cheap bikes are almost as good as expensive bikes, but before he did the test he did the 'minor' upgrade of putting better wheels (wheels similarly priced to the whole bike purchase IIRC) on it. He concluded that cheap bikes are as good as expensive bikes, but really all he proved was that the wheels are likely more important to performance than any other part of the bike.
Old 05-20-22, 09:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
If they're made for disc brakes, they likely don't have a track for rim brakes (so not a flat surface for your pads to grab onto) and likely aren't reinforced for extra wear at the spot your pads would rub.
Old 05-20-22, 09:55 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Probably the first step is to measure that your rear dropouts will accept a 135mm OLD hub.

Next step, as others have suggested, is to make sure your current brakes will work, rim vs disc.

John
Old 05-20-22, 10:05 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I missed the mention of disc brakes in the OP. If the bike has rim brakes then I would consider this project a non-starter - rims designed for disc brakes are not meant to have rim brake pads pressing on the sidewalls - it will likely destroy them pretty quickly.
Old 05-20-22, 10:34 AM
alexanderef

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I missed the mention of disc brakes in the OP. If the bike has rim brakes then I would consider this project a non-starter - rims designed for disc brakes are not meant to have rim brake pads pressing on the sidewalls - it will likely destroy them pretty quickly.
Thanks all for your help so far, indeed the bike I have now also has disc brakes, I really should have added.
Old 05-20-22, 11:57 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
what bike do you have? What components does it have?

A 7 speed with QR at 135 is pretty odd, suggesting a really really low end bike

I have seen the difference tires and wheels can make. I would suggest before trying new wheels you try good quality tires on. IMHO cheapest most effective first upgrade for handling and ride

otherwise unless the new wheelset is totally dirt cheap I would personally save for a new bike

good luck

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-20-22, 12:14 PM
alexanderef

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
what bike do you have? What components does it have?

A 7 speed with QR at 135 is pretty odd, suggesting a really really low end bike

I have seen the difference tires and wheels can make. I would suggest before trying new wheels you try good quality tires on. IMHO cheapest most effective first upgrade for handling and ride

otherwise unless the new wheelset is totally dirt cheap I would personally save for a new bike

good luck
Hey SquirtDad,

Yeah I understand the wisest thing to do would be to buy a new bike, but I can't really justify spending up to £1k on a bike just now.
It is indeed a really low end bike, about £350/$450 new. Got Shimano Tourney groupset which is I think their Fisher Price-level groupset.

I know is totally a mismatch, but I am intrigued just how effective the new wheels would be. Thanks for the shout about the tyres! Not sure much about them, but was looking at some P Zero tyres that would probably have a great impoact
Old 05-20-22, 12:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by alexanderef
Hey SquirtDad,

Yeah I understand the wisest thing to do would be to buy a new bike, but I can't really justify spending up to £1k on a bike just now.
It is indeed a really low end bike, about £350/$450 new. Got Shimano Tourney groupset which is I think their Fisher Price-level groupset.

I know is totally a mismatch, but I am intrigued just how effective the new wheels would be. Thanks for the shout about the tyres! Not sure much about them, but was looking at some P Zero tyres that would probably have a great impoact
seriously try tyres first I am partial to conti GP5000 as really nice balance between price, performance and reliability I run 28mm with conti racelite tubes and have went 1700 miles before first flat. And i am 235 lbs

Old 05-20-22, 01:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would just stick with tires if need be or just save your money towards a bike that better meets your needs. Buying cheap-o carbon that doesn't sound like it will work well on your bike and might require more money put into it than the bike is really worth isn't a sound plan. Tires if you need them or just ride the thing into the ground as they intended and save up for a more practical bike. Sure yes Tires, cables, housing, brakes pads, rotors can all make a significant impact but I just don't think it is going to be a great thing to put the amount of the bike that you paid (not necessarily value) into those upgrades but still have that bike.
Old 05-20-22, 05:07 PM
squirtdad

from what is see those wheels will be north of 300 pounds, $380 dollars or so

bad investment as any newer bike you will get will likely be 100/142 thru axle so not really a good upgrade path.

good tires and lite tubes is the way togo